• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Social Media and You
3 3

38 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am curious as to your thoughts on being involved and posting on public forums, like Facebook, where there is not much anonymity. I have 128 friends on my FB account, but I do not really care to share any of my hobbies with a majority of them. My fault I guess for accepting friend requests from old acquaintances, etc.

When I do post here at the CGC site, I am reasonably sure that like-minded people (i.e. those that love comics) are the ones that read and share their opinions. On FB, out of everyone in my friend’s list, only my sister is into comics.

I would really like to be involved and post comments more often on the various comic book groups that I belong to, but the idea that whatever I post will show up in the feed of all on my friends list just scares me. A few of my friends know I like comics and that is cool, but there are a few of my other “friends” that I do not wish to share comics or any of my hobbies with. I mean I am okay speaking with them about other subjects; we just do not talk about comics.

I guess my mindset is maybe stuck in the 70’s where anyone beyond grade school was looked down upon if they liked comics…I need to get rid of this way of thinking.

Also when I was a kid my grandmother told me the story once of how a friend of hers had a nice coin collection (this was back in the 30’s) and he used to like to show it to everyone, that is until he was robbed. The lesson I learned from that is to not brag about what you have or you may lose it. I guess that I am not really concerned about my friends, but maybe the public at large that can also see the various pages/groups.

So, I am thinking of the different options I have.

I can:

1) Say the heck with it, just start posting away on the various groups and not care what shows up in other’s pages.

2) Pare down my friends list and get rid of all but a handful of them. I mean really, why have so many on the list?

3) Create a new FB account that I would dedicate to my comics hobby, while keeping my main FB account for other non-comics activities.... Nah, I don’t like this option.

4) Maybe figure out if FB has an option so certain people in my friend’s list do not see my posts – see if it is possible to not have my posts show up in their news feeds.

I am kind of leaning toward the “1) just start posting anyways” option. Maybe my non-comics friends will get so tired of seeing my comics related posts that they will turn off their notifications of my “news”. I’ve done the “stay friends, but hide their posts” option a couple of times myself. I mean, how many times do I need to see what someone is having for dinner?

I’m just wondering how the rest of you handle social media.

2 hours ago, Terrapin said:

Facebook does have this option. You can choose to have only members of that group see those posts.

I've done a bit of searching and have read stories about people being in supposedly closed groups, only to have their posts still show up in their friend's news feeds, even though the friends were not part of the closed group.

After coming back here and then seeing the reply by Terrapin above (thanks), I did some more searching and I think I have found it, under the privacy settings.

It states "Who can see your future posts?  You can manage the privacy of things you share by using the audience selector right where you post. This control remembers your selection so future posts from this tool will be shared with the same audience unless you change it."

Okay, now if I am understanding this thing correctly, I can select any friends from my list that can see what I post and the rest cannot. It also sounds like I have to click on this setting every time I make a post, if I do not want all of my friends to see what I write.  Now I've got to find where this tool is. Looking at the FB post reply window I did not see it. Maybe it only shows once I've typed something and am ready to post. I'll have to poke around and see.

I have a comics-only Instagram account and only post comics. There are plenty on there who are collectors and like mainstream to obscure comics.

I did link my eBay seller account to my Instagram profile which could lead someone to my address, so I just don't post my expensive comics and it looks like I only collect moderns.

Edited by FN-2199

4 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

The only social media I'm active on is Instagram, and that seems to have a really large comic community.  It won't take long to get involved with others who have the same interests as you.  (thumbsu 

+1 for Instagram. There's a very vibrant and active comic book community there, from all over the country and around the world, all with different tastes. Plus, Instagram is the perfect medium for comic books because it's all photos. You could create a comics-only account to share your obsession with others :)

I spend too much time on facebook, often b.S.ing with a bunch of high school classmates I don't see in person any more.  i get sucked into the politial stuff.  it is a giant timesuck, I need to cut it off.

I just downloaded Instagram a few months ago.  I guess I should see if there are any comic artist there.  Is there anything to look for?  I am teaching myself some hand lettering and follow some people there for ideas and to practice.

8 minutes ago, nocutename said:

I just downloaded Instagram a few months ago.  I guess I should see if there are any comic artist there.  Is there anything to look for?  I am teaching myself some hand lettering and follow some people there for ideas and to practice.

There are TONS of comic artists on Instagram, if not most of them, and very active, too. Just search for their name. 

I've been thinking of opening a second Instagram account although it sounds like a bit of a bother considering the ease of fb connect on the one account I maintain.  I posted a few books to my regular Instagram account and it just didn't fit in with the material I typically post, nature hikes and art and that kind of thing.  I picked up a copy of Green Lantern 1 (1941) and after posting that on Instagram I thought I could be advertising for a break-in. 

2 hours ago, nocutename said:

There are a ton of comic artists and a ton of very skilled hand lettering artists also. Instagram can be a very inspirational place. 

This month the Inktober challenge is so hot, it's hard to keep up with all the new art being posted.

9 hours ago, Silver Ager said:

I'd say ditch it entirely and never go back. But I'm eccentric, I guess.

I've never been anywhere else than here. 

My wife calls this place "facebook for nerds".

I still don't have a smart phone, just a tracphone.

As I see many others have posted in here, I prefer Instagram to post pictures and little blurbs. Also as stated above it is a great source to find artists/like-minded individuals. You can also search by hashtag for specific topics that interest you. After a while of liking specific tags and following specific people it tailors an "explore" feature with suggested posts which is neat!

Also, I see what you are saying about facebook. To sound rather cliché, but how I feel: if the people of Facebook don't want to see the things you are *truly* interested in, then they can unfriend you if they so choose-- are they actually your "friends?" Best to be who you truly are both in person and online. Best of luck & give instagram a try perhaps! :)

43 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm the same way my friend. I don't have Facebook, or anything else except here. The only reason I have an iPhone is my  work gave it to me 6 months ago.

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:
48 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm the same way my friend. I don't have Facebook, or anything else except here. The only reason I have an iPhone is my  work gave it to me 6 months ago.

I might get a smartphone in about three months when my current tracphone time runs out - the only attraction is the photo taking ability.  I never graduated from 35 mm to whatever came next. :sorry: 

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I might get a smartphone in about three months when my current tracphone time runs out - the only attraction is the photo taking ability.  I never graduated from 35 mm to whatever came next. :sorry: 

:roflmao: what the hell happened to beepers, you know the good ole days.