• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman #32 Blank Cover Sign and Sketch By David Finch
1 1

10 posts in this topic

unnamed.jpg.eccf87b944771fbbb3e9cd8d7577fedc.jpg

Hello all,

I just got this sketch by David Finch at New York Comic Con and submitted it there for signature series (it was approved as a signature series witness watched him draw it). Assuming that this book gets a 9.8, what do you guys think this is worth and why?

Thanks!

You posted in the wrong forum, which might be why you're not getting replies. This forum is reserved for art that is actually for sale.

Otherwise, there's a Bizarro head sketch on auction right now on eBay with a $100 bid. Follow that to give your a baseline. However well or poorly it does, give Superman one bid increment plus the cost of the CGC fees. That should give you a rough idea of the value. Otherwise, it's a nice sketch of a good looking guy--if the "S" was present it would likely have fetched you more of a premium. Just my 2c -- the market wants what it wants and I don't care for Finch's art, however nice it may be. I've just sold enough sketch covers to know that 9 out of 10 times they yield disappointing results. 

If anybody is interested in the whereabouts of this book. This book recently popped on eBay auction. It seems the suggestion in the board was taken and the art was modified by another artist Ryan Kincaid, who added an "S" and also colored it. Sadly, I couldn't win the book on auction. It sold for slightly less than 150$ and a week later appeared on Amazon for a flat price of 999$!!

19 hours ago, allthingskryptonite said:

If anybody is interested in the whereabouts of this book. This book recently popped on eBay auction. It seems the suggestion in the board was taken and the art was modified by another artist Ryan Kincaid, who added an "S" and also colored it. Sadly, I couldn't win the book on auction. It sold for slightly less than 150$ and a week later appeared on Amazon for a flat price of 999$!!

Yes I saw that as well....I also bid on it and was upset to see someone get it only to try and flip it within a week.....it was worth more than the $140 it should for but whoever got it is out of their mind...

Wow...it was nicely colored and the “S” added and it still couldn’t break a $150 bid???? My guess wasn’t too far off then. Also looks like someone cracked the slab to get it colored and paid again to slab it...the slabbing alone is almost $100 doh!

98ED738F-6B1A-4836-99C4-6C560C1AF991.jpeg

E03DD298-EA31-44D2-B504-0A91E95A58B2.jpeg

Yea...I got busy at work when it was ending I think and didn't pay attention.....although I am a fan of Ryan Kincaid, I personally would have preferred it stay a Finch sketch only. From a value standpoint, I think his name alone carries more long-term clout. When you add in the colors/ink, although still a beautiful sketch some might say it de-valued the piece.. too each their own.....either way, I wanted it and I missed out...perhaps I'll offer him $145  :cry: 

I love me some Finch, but I love the super overdetailed styling of his covers.  I'm not really too into this headsketch, and certainly not with a rando (I know not totally rando) coloring.

I'd only get something colored if it was VERY commonly known that the artist and colorer and/or inker work together.  Otherwise I don't see it boosting the value.

But I will say this:  I do kinda like it when people who care about nothing but quick profit ask random internet strangers for advice instead of putting in a bit of time and effort themselves, then they end up losing money because of their laziness.  I don't like it enough to give disingenuous information (I don't think that's what happened here), but I do like it.  Money isn't easy to make, and it isn't free, which you'd think would be common knowledge. People swing by the threads all the time looking for free quick financial advice, good luck with all that.

Don't mean to necro an old thread,  but I came across this while doing some David Finch sketch research, and happened to ALSO come across the Superman sketch in question over at my local Ebay. As an Unsolved Mysteries update, the seller is asking $800, probably the same guy that was trying to hawk it on Amazon. Thought someone else might find that as amusing as I did.

Additionally, my imagination ran wild with this for some reason and now I have this idea for a one-shot comic where someone gets a cursed commission piece, and sells it for less than he paid, right before inexplicably disappearing. Each subsequent owner also loses money on it, and also goes missing. The comic gets passed down through the ages from owner to owner, who all end up missing afterwards, until the mystery is finally unraveled. In the end the final owner manages to break the curse by making a profit after purchasing it for $6.50 at a flea market and flipping it for $8.75 on Craigslist. 

Edited by Complex306