• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cgc and brittle pages
1 1

35 posts in this topic

I spoke to Matt Nelson at NYCC about books being graded with brittle pages. Many here have seen books with a brittle designation that may only have a small area of brittleness and the rest of the area being ok. After discussing this with a few other dealers and collectors, I spoke to Matt and we agreed a brittleness scale would be great. Perhaps a 3 point scale with areas of brittleness in the notes.

Thoughts?

46 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

I spoke to Matt Nelson at NYCC about books being graded with brittle pages. Many here have seen books with a brittle designation that may only have a small area of brittleness and the rest of the area being ok. After discussing this with a few other dealers and collectors, I spoke to Matt and we agreed a brittleness scale would be great. Perhaps a 3 point scale with areas of brittleness in the notes.

Thoughts?

I agree. Even detailed grader notes would be a great start. I've seen some that IMHO didn't deserve the brittle designation. Then some that weren't designated as brittle but actually had visible chips lose in the slab.

Does seem to be an area where a great deal of inconsistency and subjectivity exists.  This could be like the revision to the restoration scale.  Maybe there would be a way to include slightly brittle in the revisions.  More information is always useful.

I agree with this proposal -- in fact, I made it myself recently in another thread.

I think three categories would work:

SB -- Which would, as it does now, indicate a bit of brittleness, typically at the top or bottom of the spine, or on one outer corner

MB -- Some significant flaking but the book can still be read without damage

EB -- Book has major brittleness and can't be read without damage

More than three categories probably slices the salami too thin.  The key problem, imo, is that now books in the MB and EB categories are both labeled Brittle even though collectors view the books quite differently when they encounter them as raw books.

Not sure it matters to anyone else but I would be interested in whether only the cover(s) display the brittleness, interior page(s), or both.  I like @Squeggs scale above.

I'm sure it has been discussed and I remember Rick's (@gator) explanation of brittleness but is there a rule of thumb for what would bump from SB to Brittle?  I assume it is a subjective grading call.

I've also seen books with the BRITTLE designation have significantly different final grades, regardless of appearance.  There needs to be some consistency in that arena as well, or at least some way of determining why one brittle book grades much lower than another, when overall appearance is very similar.

There's a Captain America 37 in the marketplace now with a 2.0 brittle grade with detached cover and centerfold.  I just got a recent submission back that graded 1.0 brittle, even though everything is attached, and overall appearance on my book is far and above better than the Cap.  A little transparency would be lovely.

I had a Detective 36 that was graded with Brittle pages. The bottom right corner had chipped away and probably was brittle. But what was left was not brittle and the book could be easily read without any chips or pieces falling out. These kind of books could benefit from the designation.

I have also expressed my desire to delineate PQ and page color on the label.  I view them as very different.  Is it necessarily true that the next degradation of tanned pages to be SB and would tanning be a suppleness scale?

Just my good for naught thoughts.  If at least the brittleness scale can be added, a step forward for sure.  (as long as it doesn't in itself raise grading costs of wait times)

I'd also like a scale. That "BRITTLE pages" in all caps just screams at you, making you think it's about to crumble.

I would think the difficulty in implementing this is that brittleness is an ongoing process as the paper ages, right? Once encapsulated with micro chamber paper, does that necessarily arrest any stage of brittleness from further advancing? That may be an obstacle.

I think this is a good idea as well.  I generally find that covers are rarely brittle.  I think the biggest issue is with Slightly Brittle, what does that mean.  I am not sure it is needed on the label as it may get a little busy but in the notes for sure.  As has been said above these books are getting super expensive and there could be a huge dollar difference between SB and B.  All that being said I think your still going to have an issue with two books being brittle and one looking fine and the other have chips in the holder.

I looked at a major key GA book at NYCC and the pages were labeled as cream to off white, they clearly were not with missing chips visible from the back and weakness to the top right corner....

James G

21 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I had a Detective 36 that was graded with Brittle pages. The bottom right corner had chipped away and probably was brittle. But what was left was not brittle and the book could be easily read without any chips or pieces falling out. These kind of books could benefit from the designation.

I had a book like that, with one small corner that was off white and supple everywhere but one corner, which was obviously exposed in storage, and ended up chipped away, so it was said to have "brittle pages."  So was this copy of Wonder Woman.  Identical descriptions for two vastly different things. 

Wonder Woman 1 poor.jpg

10 hours ago, jgallo said:

I think this is a good idea as well.  I generally find that covers are rarely brittle.  I think the biggest issue is with Slightly Brittle, what does that mean.  I am not sure it is needed on the label as it may get a little busy but in the notes for sure.  As has been said above these books are getting super expensive and there could be a huge dollar difference between SB and B.  All that being said I think your still going to have an issue with two books being brittle and one looking fine and the other have chips in the holder.

I looked at a major key GA book at NYCC and the pages were labeled as cream to off white, they clearly were not with missing chips visible from the back and weakness to the top right corner....

James G

It's possible the book was not properly stored after being slabbed. Cgc holders clearly state they won't stop environmental factors. Makes you think of a good backboard and double Mylar provides better protection.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:21 AM, jgallo said:

James G

CGC doesn't seem to acknowledge cover brittleness, and this is the frequently the norm in the hobby, but any comic with chips out of the cover, that don't look like they were the result of handling tears or worn creases, is by definition slightly brittle at least.

14 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

It's possible the book was not properly stored after being slabbed. Cgc holders clearly state they won't stop environmental factors. Makes you think of a good backboard and double Mylar provides better protection.

+1

I love the look of mylites2. Add in a piece of microchamber and you're probably good to go.

I do love slabs for the restoration detection though. Also when it comes to resale it seems a CGC slab is a wise investment.

I'll "chip" in on the PQ issue...I think a more specific brittleness designation is a brilliant idea. PQ vs PColor...is it possible to have a WHITE PAGES BRITTLE???!?!?