• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your favorite Spider-Man artist?
3 3

Who was favorite Spider-Man artist?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite Spider-Man artist?

• Steve Ditko
    • John Romita Sr.
    • Mark Bagley
    • Ross Andru
    • Todd McFarlane
    • Ron Frenz
    • John Romita Jr.
    • Huberto Ramos
    • Marcos Martin
    • Erik Larsen

193 posts in this topic

John Romita Sr

It took me a long time to really appreciate his art.  Only once I developed an interest in Milton Caniff and noticed how well Romita implemented that classic style into his own work, especially the darker, grittier line and shadowing in his Bronze Age comics.  Also, of course, there’s his exceptional page layout and storytelling ability.

Excellent idea for a thread @ComicConnoisseur :headbang::headbang:

Whilst I'm partial to a bit of Romita, a bit of Ditko and more recently a bit of Garney, there is only one true Spider-Man artist, and that is this man:

Spoiler

59de2e7534e4c_ASM137Page14.thumb.jpg.92ea817f5155d19b5837e3a32a41fb3a.jpg

And anyone who says otherwise is a big fat liar!  :D

Spoiler

20170113_115743.thumb.jpg.8dbc4389ca23da85102b68f6b4989656.jpg

Great topic! So great I’m completely unable to vote. lol

Grew up with Romita Sr and Andru so I love them both... but there’s no getting past the unmistakable stamp that Ditko put on the character.

The thing is, after those guys?  I do greatly appreciate Bagley’s work and I imagine if He were the Spidey artist of my childhood I’d be supporting him.   

I really think with so many great artists having had the title at some point, a lot of personal preference has to do with who was drawing the book when you first fell in love with it.

Romita is the man.  Humberto Ramos should not be allowed to interpret Spider-Man - that's heresy right there!  You missed Kirby since he had a few covers including AF15 and interiors in Tales to Astonish and others.

1 minute ago, fmaz said:

Great topic! So great I’m completely unable to vote. lol

Grew up with Romita Sr and Andru so I love them both... but there’s no getting past the unmistakable stamp that Ditko put on the character.

The thing is, after those guys?  I do greatly appreciate Bagley’s work and I imagine if He were the Spidey artist of my childhood I’d be supporting him.   

I really think with so many great artists having had the title at some point, a lot of personal preference has to do with who was drawing the book when you first fell in love with it.

I agree nostalgia has a lot to do with the vote.  I was about 10 yrs old when I bought my first Spidey which was around issue #275 so I witnessed McFarlane and Bagley.  McFarlane's take was my favorite for a long time, but fast forward 30 years and my perspective has changed quite a bit.  Ditko was incredible but when you go from ASM #38 to ASM #39 there's such a dramatic change in Romita's style; use of color, body mechanics (Issue #86 :banana:), perspective and how all those aspects support the narrative.  I like to think of all the people seeing issue #39 on the newsstand for the first time, thinking "WTF is that!!!".  Actually in those days it was more of a "Gee Willikers and Golly!!!". 

25 minutes ago, vadacchino said:

Bagley, hands down.  At least for me

That's what I always say too. "Bagley, hands down. Put your hands down and let Ross Andru draw him instead." :shy: