• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your favorite Spider-Man artist?
3 3

Who was favorite Spider-Man artist?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite Spider-Man artist?

• Steve Ditko
    • John Romita Sr.
    • Mark Bagley
    • Ross Andru
    • Todd McFarlane
    • Ron Frenz
    • John Romita Jr.
    • Huberto Ramos
    • Marcos Martin
    • Erik Larsen

193 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Good shout. Gil Kane should be on the list I think. 

Kane and Romita Sr was a great penciller / inker combination for Bronze Age Spider-Man.

Edited by Ken Aldred

My appreciation for Steve Ditko has grown, but as a previous post says, the difference between issue 38 and 39 speaks volumes.  I think Romita Sr had a better handle on illustrating the superhero athletic action.  That said, early JRjr wasn't too shabby either.  Only his later "angle-y" style turned me off.

18 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I grew up with Bagley art.  Maybe I'm heavily influenced by the fact that he draws the best Venom and Carnage, but Bags get's my vote.

image.png.24a5ad44978fe9afb2dcd9c094b17450.png

image.thumb.png.a183632cc7001e5b8df88982271c051d.png

I believe Mark Bagley drew the most issues of Spider-Man as well if we count both

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-111 and count his ASM work #345, 351–358, 361-365, 368-375, 378-404, 407-415, plus other Spider-Man appearances.

8 hours ago, comicquant said:

I agree nostalgia has a lot to do with the vote.

Agreed! I have to pick Mark Bagley because he was at the helm when I started reading Spider-man and collecting comics at around age 13. Plenty of people consider any comics from that era to be drek, but I'm just as nostalgic for Bagley's work as an older gentleman (or lady) may be for Ditko or Romita.

It's hard to argue against McFarlane's run. He produced some iconic images during his time behind the desk.

I think JR jr and Larsen get treated a little unfairly.  Both artists had a highly consistent style and a strong sense of craft IMO.  

I think it is interesting the person who pointed out that JR jr went from being inspired by his father to Frank Miller.  The Miller comparison I agree with because his angular style did come after the DKR mini series.  However, I always thought early JR jr was more inspired by the very underrated Paul Smith.  Check the transition in Uncanny X-men around 176 to confirm this.  JR jr was at his best when he did his run on Daredevil I think.  That may be nostalgia though, as that was my first exposure to his art.

On Larsen, I can see how people might be put off by some of his eccentricities.  But, there is no denying how much Bagley's art borrowed from Larsen's when that transition occurred.  It kind of makes me wonder if Marvel at the times of those transitions told JR jr and Bagley to draw like Smith and Larsen in order to shock the fans less.

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I always thought of him as the Green Lantern artist. I guess I should have picked him over Erik Larsen.

:foryou:

Mebbe :bigsmile:

6 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

I think JR jr and Larsen get treated a little unfairly.  Both artists had a highly consistent style and a strong sense of craft IMO.  

I think it is interesting the person who pointed out that JR jr went from being inspired by his father to Frank Miller.  The Miller comparison I agree with because his angular style did come after the DKR mini series.  However, I always thought early JR jr was more inspired by the very underrated Paul Smith.  Check the transition in Uncanny X-men around 176 to confirm this.  JR jr was at his best when he did his run on Daredevil I think.  That may be nostalgia though, as that was my first exposure to his art.

On Larsen, I can see how people might be put off by some of his eccentricities.  But, there is no denying how much Bagley's art borrowed from Larsen's when that transition occurred.  It kind of makes me wonder if Marvel at the times of those transitions told JR jr and Bagley to draw like Smith and Larsen in order to shock the fans less.

Nicely said. There was a JR Jnr period that I really liked. He seemed to lose it later though. Maybe that's why many aren't fans.