• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your favorite Spider-Man artist?
3 3

Who was favorite Spider-Man artist?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite Spider-Man artist?

• Steve Ditko
    • John Romita Sr.
    • Mark Bagley
    • Ross Andru
    • Todd McFarlane
    • Ron Frenz
    • John Romita Jr.
    • Huberto Ramos
    • Marcos Martin
    • Erik Larsen

193 posts in this topic

On 14/10/2017 at 6:18 AM, Spider-Variant said:

My favorite spider-man artist will always be Ross Andru.  He was the man who brought the web slinger to life for me each month starting at the age of 10.

The artist who I think draws Spidey the best is John Romita, Sr.  His work on Amazing Spider-Man 108 & 109 are some of his best work,  IMHO.

This man has taste :headbang:

Andru is my favourite, but Romita clearly set the bar. Here are three of my favourites of his:

169whitman.thumb.jpg.f5a7a3f21649d5c98d6b3faf35183771.jpg 169.thumb.jpg.e12e5395c063d2601685f4a2d1255211.jpg 59e3c1dd19388_16935cv.thumb.jpg.57c26c39c17a838f128b435c7911cd95.jpg

Andru inside, Romita outside :cloud9:

13 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

169whitman.thumb.jpg.f5a7a3f21649d5c98d6b3faf35183771.jpg 

12 hours ago, tv horror said:

Yay you picked my favorite  I love this cover.

Another man with good taste! :headbang:

It's not an obvious choice for a favourite, but there's something about the composition and colouring that I just love. The way it fills the cover. Brilliant.

P.S. there's a u in favourite (thumbsu

P.P.S. and colouring!

Yours faithfully, The Spelling Police. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

Larsen came in as a shoddy, bargain-basement replacement for McFarlane. I voted for McFarlane in this poll and I remember when the pencils were handled off to Larsen -- it was so obvious that he was copping Todd's unique style (yeah, I know, Art Adams, but McFarlane also pushed his panels and layouts further than I'd ever seen in addition to his hyper-detailing which people attribute to Adams's influence). While McFarlane's work on the new Spider-Man still felt fresh and genuinely had me excited for every turn of the page, it was absolutely painful to continue with ASM, especially what Larsen did with Venom, Punisher. 

After being treated to some incredible McFarlane ASM for a few years, in comes Erik Larsen with the most hideous artwork I'd ever seen so jarring, crude, and ugly that it made me stop collecting ASM cold turkey.  What a major disappointment!  The only artist to render Spidey worse that Larsen (and quite frankly, I never thought in a million years that there could be someone worse) is Ramos.  I looked at the art and I thought to myself 'WTF!?'

Regarding the other artists on the list:

Ditko --> really paved the way as co-plotter and collaborator with Stan.  So many of the Spidey concepts and villains that they co-created are in use today.  Can't imagine Spidey without him.

Romita Sr --> this former romance artist polished up the characters features and made everyone appear movie-star handsome/beautiful and played up the Archie/Betty/Veronica love triangle nicely a la Peter/Gwen/MJ.  Contribution towards the Spidey mythos was...underwhelming, with just the Shocker and Kingpin.  Credit for the Prowler went to his son, Romita Jr

Gil Kane --> as Romita Sr transitioned off the title, Kane's renderings were very nicely done.  Some key issues illustrated, and key characters introduced/died.  He really should get more recognition for his work on this title.

Ross Andru --> loved his work on Metal Men, but not so much on ASM.  I always found the way he illustrated facial features to be too angular and harsh, especially on the ladies.  It seems as though the civilian characters were always angry.  However, when inked by Romita Sr., the are was nice.  Perhaps it was just the case of his regular inker, Mike Esposito, not polishing some of the 'harshness' on characters faces.  One huge positive I will say about Ross' work on ASM is that he had some of the best splash pages on the title, and he also experimented with double page spreads, and double page splashes.  He also introduced some great characters during his run, including The Punisher, the Jackal, The Tarantula.  and some unfortunate things too: Spider-mobile, Gwen clone, Peter Parker clone, Mindworm, The Grizzley, etc.

Keith Pollard --> wasn't even mentioned.  Don't know why.  Marvel certainly thought enough of him to put him to work on ASM, Thor, and the FF, and I think he did all three books concurrently for a few months.

Romita Jr --> 1st run Romita jr was awesome, especially once Roger Stern was added as the regular series writer.  Some great stories paired perfectly with excellent art.  Over the past decade, JR Jr's work has been much maligned on the boards, but his style on his 1st run of ASM was, dare I say, Amazing!

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Keith Pollard --> wasn't even mentioned.  Don't know why.  Marvel certainly thought enough of him to put him to work on ASM, Thor, and the FF, and I think he did all three books concurrently for a few months.

I only wanted to go with 10 and not clutter the poll. I picked a few more modern artists because I figure if someone comes across this poll in the future which I left open they might be more inclined to vote with a Spider-Man artist that they grew up with like Ramos and Martin than a Pollard who seems to have faded with time into obscurity with fans.

No doubt Pollard was very good.

24a585e243d236238fb7c3ffcff4e478--comic-book-covers-comic-books.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Gil Kane --> as Romita Sr transitioned off the title, Kane's renderings were very nicely done.  Some key issues illustrated, and key characters introduced/died.  He really should get more recognition for his work on this title.

I think people think of him as the Green Lantern artist like people think of John Byrne as the X-Men artist.

and clearly Romita Sr. seems to be the favorite Spider-Man artist by landslide.

I thought Ditko who created most of the memorable villians would have been in front.

If we go by creativity and compare ASM 1-38 to ASM 39 -77 we find Ditko created way more villians.

Romita Sr. did seem to make Spider-Man/Peter Parker more modern with the look.

I'm ashamed to admit that I never heard of Keith Pollard, however it did make me realise that there is something I should do with my collection. I'm 4 short of a complete run all raw so what I'm going to do is place an index card listing the cover artist and also the interior artists  on each comic, as they say "Live and learn!" Thank you for the lesson Ken.

On 10/11/2017 at 2:31 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Amazing643AmazingSpiderMan618

Wow that MJ is all jacked up and the spiderman-well did he swap heads with Hammerhead or something??  Artist so incompetent he even drew the knife facing the wrong way!

Edited by kav