• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your favorite Spider-Man artist?
3 3

Who was favorite Spider-Man artist?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite Spider-Man artist?

• Steve Ditko
    • John Romita Sr.
    • Mark Bagley
    • Ross Andru
    • Todd McFarlane
    • Ron Frenz
    • John Romita Jr.
    • Huberto Ramos
    • Marcos Martin
    • Erik Larsen

193 posts in this topic

My favorite spider-man artist will always be Ross Andru.  He was the man who brought the web slinger to life for me each month starting at the age of 10.

The artist who I think draws Spidey the best is John Romita, Sr.  His work on Amazing Spider-Man 108 & 109 are some of his best work,  IMHO.

31 minutes ago, hippiecop said:

I really like the poll idea, but I think Kane is one of the historic big 6 Spidey artists (along with Ditko, Romita, Andru, Mc Farlane & Bagley).  Any way (or even interest in)  getting him in there ??

Kane did some great work on ASM ; Death of Captain Stacy, the drug issues, Morbius, Death of Gwen Stacy, and especially when inked by Romita.

Definitely a very significant Spider-Man artist.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, hippiecop said:

I really like the poll idea, but I think Kane is one of the historic big 6 Spidey artists (along with Ditko, Romita, Andru, Mc Farlane & Bagley).  Any way (or even interest in)  getting him in there ??

Unfortunately do to technical reasons once a poll is made it can't be changed to add extra subjects. 

So in honor of Gil Kane.

• 3b40cfc77f73e26040762385cf38c160--spiderman-comic-amazing-spiderman.jpg

49b8b4f95f02e055801da3b4f58e28b7_xl.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 10/13/2017 at 12:43 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Ditko and JRS are the top 2 votes?  Obviously this forum is full of old people:bigsmile:.

If the question is who is the best artist that properly depicts Spider-Man...McFarlane:sumo:.  From the gymnastic contouring poses to the extreme detail and dynamic movements in each panel McFarlane's art style was made for Spider-Man.

I’m not old, just wise...

Yes I'm semi old at 58 but I cannot deny that John Romita created the look of Peter Parker and friends for decades to come and I love Ditko for his foundations. To me personally everyone else was limited in their interruptions and Marvel kept them under control.

2 hours ago, Juswuh said:

Ditko. Everything that makes Spider-Man what he is was laid down in those stories.

Ramos should not be in any poll that doesn't include the words "worst" or "ugliest".

One thing with Ramos. He was a good Impulse artist. He should have stayed with Impulse because his art didn't suite Spider-Man.

latest?cb=20060207115719

7afb04d26252e56908c4cc5847de70ab._SX176_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I think what Marvel was trying to do was make Spider-Man more youthful with Ramos,but of course history tells us it backfired.

lol

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing with Ramos. He was a good Impulse artist. He should have stayed with Impulse because his art didn't suite Spider-Man.

latest?cb=20060207115719

7afb04d26252e56908c4cc5847de70ab._SX176_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I think what Marvel was trying to do was make Spider-Man more youthful with Ramos,but of course history tells us it backfired.

lol

Ramos wasn't bad at all in the 90s.

His more recent exaggerated style reminds me of the highly-distorted figurework you saw in videogame designs during the 2000s.

Not a fan of either.

On 10/13/2017 at 12:43 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Ditko and JRS are the top 2 votes?  Obviously this forum is full of old people:bigsmile:.

If the question is who is the best artist that properly depicts Spider-Man...McFarlane:sumo:.  From the gymnastic contouring poses to the extreme detail and dynamic movements in each panel McFarlane's art style was made for Spider-Man.

+1 :smile:

I got the Spider-Man Romita Sr. Omnibus and it's pretty pedestrian stuff by him and Stan Lee. I honestly had a hard time getting thru it. It kind of came off as a romance comic book with the Peter Parker/Gwen/MJ storyline.

Now pick up some David Micheline with McFarlane and Bagley stories and they are much more modern with the times. What a night and day difference to read.

I think what it is nostalgia with some,but if they went back and read the whole Romita Sr, and Stan Lee run they would be disappointed. I am talking whole run now as ASM 39/40 were good, but even those two issues were influenced by Steve Ditko's mark on the book.

Also put me on record that the Ditko run was far better than the Romita Sr. run. You can still read them and be excited by them.

Sorry Romita Sr fans. :foryou:

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Ramos wasn't bad at all in the 90s.

His more recent exaggerated style reminds me of the highly-distorted figurework you saw in videogame designs during the 2000s.

Not a fan of either.

The funny thing is if DC ever made a Impulse movie those Ramos Impulse issues would go thru the roof. That book was considered one of the best during that 90s dreck.

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

+1 :smile:

I got the Spider-Man Romita Sr. Omnibus and it's pretty pedestrian stuff by him and Stan Lee. I honestly had a hard time getting thru it. It kind of came off as a romance comic book with the Peter Parker/Gwen/MJ storyline.

Now pick up some David Micheline with McFarlane and Bagley stories and they are much more modern with the times. What a night and day difference to read.

I think what it is nostalgia with some,but if they went back and read the whole Romita Sr, and Stan Lee run they would be disappointed. I am talking whole run now as ASM 39/40 were good, but even those two issues were influenced by Steve Ditko's mark on the book.

Also put me on record that the Ditko run was far better than the Romita Sr. run. You can still read them and be excited by them.

Sorry Romita Sr fans. :foryou:

I agree about Stan Lee's stories after Ditko left. 

But, purely on graphic terms, I put Romita Snr a little ahead of Ditko.

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

The funny thing is if DC ever made a Impulse movie those Ramos Impulse issues would go thru the roof. That book was considered one of the best during that 90s dreck.

It was a Flash book written by one of the best writers the characters have ever had, Mark Waid.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

latest?cb=20060207115719

lol

That cover's certainly better (earlier?) than what I've seen from Ramos before. Somewhere along the line he seems to have turned up the distortion into wilful, pointless ugliness.

3 minutes ago, Juswuh said:

That cover's certainly better (earlier?) than what I've seen from Ramos before. Somewhere along the line he seems to have turned up the distortion into wilful, pointless ugliness.

He probably gets paid way more to draw ASM than Impulse. Maybe the editors at Marvel made him change his style to fit Spidey because certainly on Spidey his art is very unappealing.

A shame he left Impulse as that was one of the best comics in the 90s.