Who is your favorite Spider-Man artist?
6 6

Who was favorite Spider-Man artist?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite Spider-Man artist?

• Steve Ditko
    • John Romita Sr.
    • Mark Bagley
    • Ross Andru
    • Todd McFarlane
    • Ron Frenz
    • John Romita Jr.
    • Huberto Ramos
    • Marcos Martin
    • Erik Larsen

193 posts in this topic

11,631 posts
1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Good shout. Gil Kane should be on the list I think. 

Kane and Romita Sr was a great penciller / inker combination for Bronze Age Spider-Man.

Edited by Ken Aldred

11,166 posts
12 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Kane and Romita Sr was a great penciller / inker combination for Bronze Age Spider-Man.

I went with Sr as my fave regular, but my write-in would be Kane.

19,608 posts

I voted for Jr. by mistake.  :blush:

Move one vote from Jr. to Sr.

28,409 posts
3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Good shout. Gil Kane should be on the list I think. 

I always thought of him as the Green Lantern artist. I guess I should have picked him over Erik Larsen.

:foryou:

1,773 posts

I grew up with Bagley art.  Maybe I'm heavily influenced by the fact that he draws the best Venom and Carnage, but Bags get's my vote.

image.png.24a5ad44978fe9afb2dcd9c094b17450.png

image.thumb.png.a183632cc7001e5b8df88982271c051d.png

1,564 posts

My appreciation for Steve Ditko has grown, but as a previous post says, the difference between issue 38 and 39 speaks volumes.  I think Romita Sr had a better handle on illustrating the superhero athletic action.  That said, early JRjr wasn't too shabby either.  Only his later "angle-y" style turned me off.

3,732 posts

Romita Sr.

Of note to me is that JR Jr is the hackiest of hacks, but he was serviceable when he was trying to emulate his father, rather than trying to copy Frank Miller.

Ramos is taking up a spot that should've gone to Mike Zeck.

28,409 posts
18 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I grew up with Bagley art.  Maybe I'm heavily influenced by the fact that he draws the best Venom and Carnage, but Bags get's my vote.

image.png.24a5ad44978fe9afb2dcd9c094b17450.png

image.thumb.png.a183632cc7001e5b8df88982271c051d.png

I believe Mark Bagley drew the most issues of Spider-Man as well if we count both

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-111 and count his ASM work #345, 351–358, 361-365, 368-375, 378-404, 407-415, plus other Spider-Man appearances.

4,988 posts
8 hours ago, comicquant said:

I agree nostalgia has a lot to do with the vote.

Agreed! I have to pick Mark Bagley because he was at the helm when I started reading Spider-man and collecting comics at around age 13. Plenty of people consider any comics from that era to be drek, but I'm just as nostalgic for Bagley's work as an older gentleman (or lady) may be for Ditko or Romita.

It's hard to argue against McFarlane's run. He produced some iconic images during his time behind the desk.

792 posts

I voted for Sturdy Steve Ditko, hard to pick anyone but the originator. Had Gil Kane been an option I probably would have have voted for him.

Joker--

16,276 posts
1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

How can you not love Ditko.

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_33.jpg

download (2).jpg

I love me some Ditko....... but this was just better

amazing_spider-man_vol_1_39.thumb.jpg.475f068e2981c4dea40eefe461fe7699.jpg

28,409 posts
2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

WHO THE EFF VOTED FOR LARSEN?!?!

Oh wait, no one. As you were...

Larsen,Ramos, and Frenz not one vote combined.

I thought Ron Frenz would get some support.

The other two I could see.

232 posts

I think JR jr and Larsen get treated a little unfairly.  Both artists had a highly consistent style and a strong sense of craft IMO.  

I think it is interesting the person who pointed out that JR jr went from being inspired by his father to Frank Miller.  The Miller comparison I agree with because his angular style did come after the DKR mini series.  However, I always thought early JR jr was more inspired by the very underrated Paul Smith.  Check the transition in Uncanny X-men around 176 to confirm this.  JR jr was at his best when he did his run on Daredevil I think.  That may be nostalgia though, as that was my first exposure to his art.

On Larsen, I can see how people might be put off by some of his eccentricities.  But, there is no denying how much Bagley's art borrowed from Larsen's when that transition occurred.  It kind of makes me wonder if Marvel at the times of those transitions told JR jr and Bagley to draw like Smith and Larsen in order to shock the fans less.

14,187 posts
7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I always thought of him as the Green Lantern artist. I guess I should have picked him over Erik Larsen.

:foryou:

Mebbe :bigsmile:

14,187 posts
6 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

I think JR jr and Larsen get treated a little unfairly.  Both artists had a highly consistent style and a strong sense of craft IMO.  

I think it is interesting the person who pointed out that JR jr went from being inspired by his father to Frank Miller.  The Miller comparison I agree with because his angular style did come after the DKR mini series.  However, I always thought early JR jr was more inspired by the very underrated Paul Smith.  Check the transition in Uncanny X-men around 176 to confirm this.  JR jr was at his best when he did his run on Daredevil I think.  That may be nostalgia though, as that was my first exposure to his art.

On Larsen, I can see how people might be put off by some of his eccentricities.  But, there is no denying how much Bagley's art borrowed from Larsen's when that transition occurred.  It kind of makes me wonder if Marvel at the times of those transitions told JR jr and Bagley to draw like Smith and Larsen in order to shock the fans less.

Nicely said. There was a JR Jnr period that I really liked. He seemed to lose it later though. Maybe that's why many aren't fans.