Who is your favorite Spider-Man artist?
6 6

Who was favorite Spider-Man artist?  

166 members have voted

  1. 1. Who was your favorite Spider-Man artist?

    • Steve Ditko
      39
    • John Romita Sr.
      74
    • Mark Bagley
      11
    • Ross Andru
      7
    • Todd McFarlane
      25
    • Ron Frenz
      2
    • John Romita Jr.
      3
    • Huberto Ramos
      0
    • Marcos Martin
      2
    • Erik Larsen
      3


193 posts in this topic

28,409 posts
22 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I'll abstain on the count of Kane being left out. I know he drew covers more than interior but still >:(

Yeah, we went over that earlier in the thread. I tried to add him, but it was too late.

:foryou:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53,602 posts

Humberto Ramos should be in the negative zone-zero is high, for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,409 posts
15 minutes ago, kav said:

Humberto Ramos should be in the negative zone-zero is high, for him.

Yeah agreed.I was trying to appeal to younger board members with him and not keep it pre-1997 Spider-Man artists. I certainly missed the mark on that one. :bigsmile:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,409 posts

Basically John Romita Sr and Steve Ditko have dominated this poll. Both combined to get over half the votes.

Todd McFarlane came in a strong third.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53,602 posts

I just cant get past this McFarlane-aside from the manly MJ, someone really needs to teach that guy to draw hair:

and breasts, btw

and hips.  And clothes.  and-aw damn

 

Spider-Man-319.png

Edited by kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,136 posts
4 hours ago, kav said:

I just cant get past this McFarlane-aside from the manly MJ, someone really needs to teach that guy to draw hair:

and breasts, btw

and hips.  And clothes.  and-aw damn

 

Spider-Man-319.png

And feet. And ears. Is that right earring stapled to the side of her head in the top right frame?

I find McFarlane's style extremely ugly. And anatomically,  he's no better than Liefield. Yet we slaughter him, and hero worship Mcthatsawfulane. 

I will never understand others admiration for the Todd. Never! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,409 posts
8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

And feet. And ears. Is that right earring stapled to the side of her head in the top right frame?

I find McFarlane's style extremely ugly. And anatomically,  he's no better than Liefield. Yet we slaughter him, and hero worship Mcthatsawfulane. 

I will never understand others admiration for the Todd. Never! 

He knew how to draw great covers. The Neal Adams of his generation.

image.jpeg.49d1b3372f5848a0ef6ae2f45b9c7348.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53,602 posts
25 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

He knew how to draw great covers. The Neal Adams of his generation.

image.jpeg.49d1b3372f5848a0ef6ae2f45b9c7348.jpeg

 

I can never get past the malformed anatomy.  The Don Heck of his generation, IMO.

Edited by kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,472 posts

Ditko all the way.
He created more memorable characters in 39 issues than most artists create in a lifetime, and each character had a unique look.
You would never mistake Ditko's Liz Allan for Ditko's Betty Brant or his Gwen Stacey.  Flash Thompson, Ned Leeds, Harry Osborn and John Jameson all had different looks and mannerisms.
Uncle Ben (yay!), J.J.J. and Frederick Foswell were all distinctive.

In 39 issues Ditko developed a rogues gallery that comes close to rivaling Batman's.  Twenty-five villains created in 39 regular issues and 2 annuals.
Incredible.
In the following 39 issues after Ditko, only 8 new villains appeared (this includes a "new" vulture and John Jameson as a villain), and only 3 new supporting characters (unless you want to include Mary Jane, which I wouldn't).  Ditko created dozens of supporting characters in less than 40 issues.

Ditko's work on ASM was amazing.  Often imitated, never duplicated.  Action, drama, humor, and mystery all incorporated into one cohesive tone.

Edited by Unca Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,409 posts
1 hour ago, kav said:

I can never get past the malformed anatomy.  The Don Heck of his generation, IMO.

The current market considers him hotter than Neal Adams.

His Spider-Man and Spawn original art goes for thousands,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53,602 posts
11 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The current market considers him hotter than Neal Adams.

His Spider-Man and Spawn original art goes for thousands,

 

It is maddening.  I can draw rings around that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,409 posts
6 minutes ago, kav said:

It is maddening.  I can draw rings around that guy.

Maybe.

Last time I looked though Todd McFarlane was worth 300 million dollars with a upcoming new Spawn movie,while Neal Adams sets up at cons for $100 dollar sigs.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,409 posts
8 minutes ago, kav said:

It is maddening.  I can draw rings around that guy.

btw. I like your artwork. (thumbsu

Todd was just at the right place and time. If he started today he would not be this rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53,602 posts
1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Maybe.

 

Compare that manly MJ to one of my females.  Note how I can actually draw hair and clothes, and how I dont draw them with a manly physique:

1 (94).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,409 posts
54 minutes ago, kav said:

Compare that manly MJ to one of my females.  Note how I can actually draw hair and clothes, and how I dont draw them with a manly physique:

1 (94).jpg

:x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,136 posts
3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

He knew how to draw great covers. The Neal Adams of his generation.

image.jpeg.49d1b3372f5848a0ef6ae2f45b9c7348.jpeg

 

No he never. That's awful. The eyes are ridiculous. Ridiculous I say!

And Neal Adams! Morticia Addams more like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,136 posts
1 hour ago, kav said:

Compare that manly MJ to one of my females.  Note how I can actually draw hair and clothes, and how I dont draw them with a manly physique:

1 (94).jpg

And, on this occasion, an uncommonly lean derrière. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6