• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your favorite Spider-Man artist?
3 3

Who was favorite Spider-Man artist?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite Spider-Man artist?

• Steve Ditko
    • John Romita Sr.
    • Mark Bagley
    • Ross Andru
    • Todd McFarlane
    • Ron Frenz
    • John Romita Jr.
    • Huberto Ramos
    • Marcos Martin
    • Erik Larsen

193 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Nice to see that (rightly and properly) John Romita Sr is winning  and winning easily.

"Poor" Humberto Ramos lol 

I certainly get why a lot of people don't like Humberto Ramos. It's nothing like any off the other Spidey artists. I absolutely hate Manga, which obviously is a huge influence on him, but for some reason his style grew on me & I like him now. (Still hate Manga). I met him once about 5 years ago. Super nice guy, very friendly. He's probably one of the only non-traditional style comic artists that I can stomach these days. He can certainly pack a lot of action into a single frame. He does like drawing big skinny feet though, lol & close ups on his characters usually have the huge, round eyes. From the list, Ditko is easily the most important, but Romita Sr & Andru were my personal favs. Not a fan of Marcos Martin & I really don't get how Erik Larsen got any votes. Taste is a funny thing.(shrug)

I think McFarlane captures Spiderman's movement and contortions well- yes it's exaggerated, but fits with the character.  Not a huge fan of how he draws other characters.    Romita Sr. is still the best Spidery artist.  I would take Ramos over many of the current artists producing Marvel art at the moment (Mike Del Mundo and Sara Pichelli  spring to mind).   

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

I think McFarlane captures Spiderman's movement and contortions well- yes it's exaggerated, but fits with the character.     

No it doesn't! 

:wink:

Not a huge fan of how he draws other characters.    

Yes. I include the character 'Spider-Man' in this.

Romita Sr. is still the best Spidery artist.  .   

Tied with Andru.

I would take Ramos over many of the current artists producing Marvel art at the moment (Mike Del Mundo and Sara Pichelli  spring to mind).   

Me too. There's good and bad Ramos. Good Ramos suits quirky Spidey stories. The last decent Spidey artist I saw was Ron 'Back in Black' Garney. Most since have been horrific. 

On 9/18/2018 at 11:32 PM, kav said:

I just cant get past this McFarlane-aside from the manly MJ, someone really needs to teach that guy to draw hair:

and breasts, btw

and hips.  And clothes.  and-aw damn

Spider-Man-319.png

Yep. He should have TOTALLY taken anatomy lessons from Steve Ditko! :eyeroll:

I really loved Ron Frenz's work...kind of subdued and a little more realistic, I feel.  Also loved Bagley, mostly because he was drawing ASM when I was subscribing but his Venom was also the best IMHO.  Big and muscular but not to beastly and hunched over with just the right amount of tongue/teeth/spit.

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

Yep. He should have TOTALLY taken anatomy lessons from Steve Ditko! :eyeroll:

Ditko's women looked like women, not dudes.  And the clothes looked like clothes.  The breasts didnt look like they were glued on from a giant barbie doll.   And the hair?  Well it looked like hair.

Image00011.jpg

34 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

I really loved Ron Frenz's work...kind of subdued and a little more realistic, I feel.  Also loved Bagley, mostly because he was drawing ASM when I was subscribing but his Venom was also the best IMHO.  Big and muscular but not to beastly and hunched over with just the right amount of tongue/teeth/spit.

I get that you like what you grew up with, but Bagley was the reason I quit Spidey.  He drew Spidey's head like an olive on a toothpick, and the rest of the body was just as gangly.  His composition is fine, I just don't care for the execution.

5 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I get that you like what you grew up with, but Bagley was the reason I quit Spidey.  He drew Spidey's head like an olive on a toothpick, and the rest of the body was just as gangly.  His composition is fine, I just don't care for the execution.

I can understand that point of view...I though his feet were pretty terrible too (not Liefield tier, but...).  But he was THE artist for so much Marvel Spidey merchandise for such a long time...had to have some following I'd wager.

I did not like Ultimate Spidey as much as ASM when it comes to him, though.

Edited by Mystafo

On 9/20/2018 at 2:03 AM, Not A Clone said:

I certainly get why a lot of people don't like Humberto Ramos. It's nothing like any off the other Spidey artists. I absolutely hate Manga, which obviously is a huge influence on him, but for some reason his style grew on me & I like him now. (Still hate Manga). I met him once about 5 years ago. Super nice guy, very friendly. He's probably one of the only non-traditional style comic artists that I can stomach these days. He can certainly pack a lot of action into a single frame. He does like drawing big skinny feet though, lol & close ups on his characters usually have the huge, round eyes. From the list, Ditko is easily the most important, but Romita Sr & Andru were my personal favs. Not a fan of Marcos Martin & I really don't get how Erik Larsen got any votes. Taste is a funny thing.(shrug)

Ramos might not be a Spider-Man artist but was actually quite popular on Impulse for DC Comics before he did Spider-Man. 

Image result for impulse 7 RAMOS              

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 9/22/2018 at 1:20 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

No it doesn't! 

:wink:

Yes. I include the character 'Spider-Man' in this.

Tied with Andru.

Me too. There's good and bad Ramos. Good Ramos suits quirky Spidey stories. The last decent Spidey artist I saw was Ron 'Back in Black' Garney. Most since have been horrific. 

Stuart Immonen did the majority of the last couple of years. He was awesome. I guess he "retired" from comics after his last issue though. 

If only Neal Adams had done a few issues of spider man in the silver or bronze age.  He did a few avengers and Ex-Men-some spider man would have been epic.  

Edited by kav