• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you tell if the original TMNT books are first prints and not counterfeits?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

A guy contacted me about selling his collection, mostly 80s and 90s indie books. He says he has TMNT 1-5 1st prints signed and sketched by Eastman. I'm not too knowledgeable about these books but I know there are counterfeits out there, just don't know how good they are. I've attached the pics he sent when he was sending pics of the collection. I read on another site the Gobbledygook ad is indicative of the 1st print on TMNT 1. 

4.thumb.jpg.1507fd06e3f4e4ae197bf3d91817cf38.jpg2.thumb.jpg.55e426730af85d3fcd04a949d4b2b029.jpg3.thumb.jpg.6799cda92ecf1d522275bd8adf7a6fa1.jpg

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by rsouxlja7

30 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Did a bit of research and it looks legit - Dover address, newsprint pages, Gobbledygook ad. I'll be getting more photos tonight. 

Good luck :)

Hope your able to get them, we should all be so lucky lol

Jealous lol

On TMNT #1 I think it makes a difference how much blood shows on the blade in the title... But that's all I know, hope I was some help.

Sad thing is it was probably told in the TMNT thread but it would be hard to go and find it like a needle in a haystack. 

@rsouxlja7

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

57 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Well this is a bummer but I am pretty sure this book is a counterfeit after reading this post: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/242463-ninja-turtles-differences-between-printings/?do=findComment&comment=5518631

I didn't know if you were discussing this here or in spare a grade thread.... Hahaha 

I was wondering why you thought this was a fake? Going to the thread you quoted it's got the correct amount of blood in the T of turtles, has the New Hampshire Dover printing also the gobbledygook advertisement at the end... Anyway just curious hope the best for you

1 hour ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Well this is a bummer but I am pretty sure this book is a counterfeit after reading this post: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/242463-ninja-turtles-differences-between-printings/?do=findComment&comment=5518631

Even this link here takes you to the page that says a "type" of fake has a white stripe and the Bloods not right in the S if it's a splatter, but the one you are showing to buy has the correct blood 3 drips of blood not a splatter and no white stripe I think you got a first print anyway just late at night bored and hopefully I'm not annoying you and you can find further information and make a good deal! I just don't want you to miss out lol

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Even this link here takes you to the page that says a "type" of fake has a white stripe and the Bloods not right in the S if it's a splatter, but the one you are showing to buy has the correct blood 3 drips of blood not a splatter and no white stripe I think you got a first print anyway just late at night bored and hopefully I'm not annoying you and you can find further information and make a good deal! I just don't want you to miss out lol

Haha no I am just now seeing this, but yeah the white stripe has me concerned even though I am seeing it on some CGC TMNT 1 scans. At this point I am probably going to pass because it just seems like too big of a gamble. I haven't told the seller though but I have until tomorrow because we were supposed to meet Saturday. I'll continue to research until then. 

1 hour ago, comiconxion said:

Well, if you pass on them, let me know.  I'd take the chance at buying them.  They look legit to me and the signatures seem real.  Likely someone got them all signed at an appearance in 1985 when issue #5 came out. 

+1

beat me to it lol 

The #1 looks very much like a real 1st print.  Things to look for, darker red cover than 3rd print, Dover NH address, Gobbledygook ad, newsprint inner pages, yellowish hue to middle of inside front cover - very common with this book, comes from newsprint on glossy surface

The #1 also looks legit to me, as do the signatures. While the "white stripe" is present on legit copies, it's much more prominent on the counterfeit.

No one has mentioned this, but the #2, while legit, is a 2nd printing. Look at Leonardo's word bubble on the inside front cover.

Edited by spracknetch23