• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the most 'different' copies you have of the same comic?

73 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, The Mad Irishman said:

Awesome thread idea! Love the Maxx, tracked down as many versions as I could find. 

DarkerImage.JPG

You must be mad, Maxx :headbang:

(sorry, I've run out of likes)

6 hours ago, catman76 said:

I have Hot Stuff #1, the regular issue, then the Red Goose Shoes giveaway version with a Red Goose cover stapled over it. That's the only multiples of any comic I have that I remember. I don't see the point of having more than one issue of any comic, especially for something as trivial as a different price on it or something. That gets into a crazy OCD collector area which I just don't understand.

Trivial? Trivial!

Release the hounds!

I  can see your point in a way @catman76, there is something a little odd about collecting multiples of the same book over, say, the same number of different books. But I do think collecting variations of the same book goes to the heart of the collecting spirit. The desire to have everything of something is a common, powerful instinct I feel. Also, when you have exhausted the regular stuff, variations are a natural way to continue the hobby you love.  It can be illogical, yes, but I can honestly say that I would be more excited to find the rare variant of a book I already had in a long box at a fair than I would to find a regular, dare I say, boring old 'key'.

Having owned everything and sold everything Spider-Man related, the only thing that I find interesting now is the pursuit of the off the radar, unknown stuff. Hence all those crappy threads I have made where I bang on about 'trivial' price variants, font variations and distributor indicias. I'd like other people to find it as interesting as I do, but I accept that they don't and carry on doing my thing outside the circle while everyone else mucks about in it. That's been my life. 

"Each to his own" this girl at work used to say to me. That really used to get on my nerves though, as a saying. I just don't like the words. OCD takes many forms.....

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Do foreign versions count?

I have been in the hunt for foreign versions of ASM 252.  

Anything goes in this thread Buzz, it's just an opportunity to post nice pictures really. I had a few 252 variations back in the day - here's a few of them (Define999 probably has a rake of foreign ones):

252 pet.PNG

252.jpg

252can.jpg

252ne.jpg

ASM 252 DVD F.JPG

ASM 252 TB.JPG

Cool thread Marwood!

Here's some suggestions.  I don't personally have these books, but I know some of the boardies here do.  Maybe they can step up and dig up some scans/pics for the thread.

First off, we have something I ran across recently:

The Brave and the Bold #93 Variants

And then we have the RMA-discovered variants:

New Discovery - Superman #50 (1990) 2nd Print Newsstand

New Discovery - Robin #1 Mini-Series 2nd Print Newsstand

And then, of course, the ever-popular...

Batman #457 Second Print Newsstand

46 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Cool thread Marwood!

Here's some suggestions.  I don't personally have these books, but I know some of the boardies here do.  Maybe they can step up and dig up some scans/pics for the thread.

First off, we have something I ran across recently:

The Brave and the Bold #93 Variants

I read that BATB 93 thread of yours - I love the under the radar stuff. Have a read of some of my signature line threads if you get 5 Ditch - I like an obscure variant me :headbang:

vars_LI.thumb.jpg.3d1a4e35df2b477045fd0141fbdb4fbf.jpg

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I read that BATB 93 thread of yours - I love the under the radar stuff. Have a read of some of my signature line threads if you get 5 Ditch - I like an obscure variant me :headbang:

vars_LI.thumb.jpg.3d1a4e35df2b477045fd0141fbdb4fbf.jpg

Will do.

But that means I have to turn on sigs.  :sumo:

1 minute ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Will do.

But that means I have to turn on sigs.  :sumo:

You can turn off all or just individuals ones using the little cross under the like button:

ignore2.PNG.6e4ad08a85ab0eddff9c36cee8cc066f.PNG

Some are cool. Many are very turnoffable. Is that a word? It is now.

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

You can turn off all or just individuals ones using the little cross under the like button:

ignore2.PNG.6e4ad08a85ab0eddff9c36cee8cc066f.PNG

Some are cool. Many are very turnoffable. Is that a word? It is now.

Hey, that's a nice feature.  And I thought I was so cool having mastered the multi-quote here.  :grin:

You should start an 'Ask Marwood' thread.  And then I can ask you such things as "Where the hell did my journal go!!!"  lol  Just kidding...Mod8 contacted me yesterday.  Respect. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Hey, that's a nice feature.  And I thought I was so cool having mastered the multi-quote here.  :grin:

You should start an 'Ask Marwood' thread.  And then I can ask you such things as "Where the hell did my journal go!!!"  lol  Just kidding...Mod8 contacted me yesterday.  Respect. (thumbsu

I think that was my fault for suggesting the testing forum should be user only viewing - sorry! Unintended consequences....

Here's an odd one. This book was published four times by the same publisher, with the issue number and price the only changes. Issues #76-79 are the same book. (And there are no previous issues!)

The GCD only has images of three though. From memory #76 is a shilling issue before the 12c #77, which places them in 1965 and 1966.

Capture.PNG.9440ee971fc0033a31131706948bb768.PNG

My theory on these is that they were printed every year for inclusion in 'show bags' - literally a bag with candy, toys and comics that you could buy at travelling fairs (or 'shows' in Oz speak). There are a few other examples. I don't know of any with more than four though.