• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brenda Starr #14 Mile High 9.4 CLink

22 posts in this topic

I just noticed this gorgeous book coming to auction on ComicLink's Fall Featured Auction starting 11/15.  According to GPA this last sold for $13,145 February 25th, 2010.  But...it had previously sold for $17,250 August 11th, 2005!  After the Mile High, next highest is three copies at 9.0 and then two at 8.0! 

Does anyone else notice a 7.5 sold for $12,800 February 1st, 2015 and then the same book sold for $5,285 on November 17th, 2016?!  Someone get huge steal??

Has this book "crashed" since 2015?

Who's willing to guess as to what the final hammer will be?

Hard to say since it is the Mile High BEST known copy but there are 37 copies on census...18 of which are fine (6.0) or above...

$21,388 is my guess but I could be waaayyyy off lol

1 hour ago, GoldCap said:

Does anyone else notice a 7.5 sold for $12,800 February 1st, 2015 and then the same book sold for $5,285 on November 17th, 2016?!  Someone get huge steal??

Where did these 2 sales take place for this 7.5 graded copy of Brenda Starr #14?  hm

3 hours ago, GoldCap said:

I just noticed this gorgeous book coming to auction on ComicLink's Fall Featured Auction starting 11/15.  According to GPA this last sold for $13,145 February 25th, 2010.  But...it had previously sold for $17,250 August 11th, 2005!  After the Mile High, next highest is three copies at 9.0 and then two at 8.0! 

Hard to say since it is the Mile High BEST known copy but there are 37 copies on census...18 of which are fine (6.0) or above...

link?

49 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:
4 hours ago, GoldCap said:

link?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2017nov%26pg%3D2%23Item_1209046&id=1209046&itemType=0

4 hours ago, GoldCap said:

What do I know....but classic GGA has been ridiculously hot for a while now.  And that Church Startling 49 that broke $100k last year really was amazing.  Brenda 14 isn't exactly that book (although it's completely awesome), but I'm thinking at least $40k for this one.

6 hours ago, GoldCap said:

4 hours ago, torontodesignguy said:

that's one to watch...

I'll guess at $25,557

I don't imagine this one should have any problems blowing past these 2 guesstimates considering that the Church CGC 9.4 graded copy of the lower profile and less recognized Seven Seas 6 was able to fetch $25K in the recent CC auction.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

17 minutes ago, atomic1950s said:

I had know idea GGA could bring that kind of money. I mean being a GGA collector myself I know it is popular, but wow....

Well, fortunately or unfortunately depending upon your point of view, comic books have had a long historical pattern of swinging between peaks and valleys in terms of market valuations.   hm

So, although certain genres such as GGA and classic covers might be smoking red hot right now, it's quite conceivable they could also cool off quite significantly in a few short years from now.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I don't imagine this one should have any problems blowing past these 2 guesstimates considering that the Church CGC 9.4 graded copy of the lower profile and less recognized Seven Seas 6 was able to fetch $25K in the recent CC auction.  hm

This. If Seven Seas 6 is 25k then Brenda Starr is 30k easy. Heck if Spitfire 133 is 15k then Brenda Starr is a 30k book.

My guess would be 35k.

47 minutes ago, The-Collector said:

This. If Seven Seas 6 is 25k then Brenda Starr is 30k easy. Heck if Spitfire 133 is 15k then Brenda Starr is a 30k book.

My guess would be 35k.

GGA is hot...but Baker GGA  is way hotter ...also there's very few high grade copies of Seven Seas 6 on the census(only the mile high was above a 7.0), and several for Brenda Starr.

My wild guess for this one is $21,000....but who knows, people go bananas for mile high and highest graded.

23 minutes ago, szavisca said:

GGA is hot...but Baker GGA  is way hotter ...also there's very few high grade copies of Seven Seas 6 on the census(only the mile high was above a 7.0), and several for Brenda Starr.

My wild guess for this one is $21,000....but who knows, people go bananas for mile high and highest graded.

I didn't know Spitfire 133 was a Baker cover :baiting:

Brenda Starr  14 is much more iconic than Seven Seas 6. And we have had VF copies selling for nearly 17k.

Additionally given Startling 49 @ 100k, (heck there was even a startling 53 in highest graded that broke 8k) I'll be surprised if Brenda 14 goes for less than 25k.

20 minutes ago, The-Collector said:

I didn't know Spitfire 133 was a Baker cover :baiting:

Brenda Starr  14 is much more iconic than Seven Seas 6. And we have had VF copies selling for nearly 17k.

Additionally given Startling 49 @ 100k, (heck there was even a startling 53 in highest graded that broke 8k) I'll be surprised if Brenda 14 goes for less than 25k.

Fair enough! I'll admit Brenda isn't high on my list so I haven't watched its auction history that much...21k was truly a wild guess.  It's hard to predict with these highest graded mile high copies...not all have done as well as people were probably thinking (science 2 recently comes to mind)

It'll  be a fun auction to watch for sure anyway! 

14 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Fair enough! I'll admit Brenda isn't high on my list so I haven't watched its auction history that much...21k was truly a wild guess.  It's hard to predict with these highest graded mile high copies...not all have done as well as people were probably thinking (science 2 recently comes to mind)

It'll  be a fun auction to watch for sure anyway! 

I agree. It's a real tough one. I am very interested to know how it turns out.

4 hours ago, comicnoir said:
13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Where did these 2 sales take place for this 7.5 graded copy of Brenda Starr #14?  hm

ComicConnect.

Would you happen to have a link for these 2 CC auctions since I can't seem to see them from their auction email links? 

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Would you happen to have a link for these 2 CC auctions since I can't seem to see them from their auction email links? 

My bad. It was on Heritage.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/brenda-starr-14-2-superior-comics-1948-cgc-vf-75-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7141-91071.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I couldn't find the $12,800.00 copy. I was thinking of the 8.0 copy that sold on the ComicConnect.

Edited by comicnoir