• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collection We Looked At
7 7

1,026 posts in this topic

Here is an idea to you. Not sure if it would help ... but anyway try.  Tell this guy with his collection, you have many interested collectors wanting to pick whatever item is of particular interest to each own. Once he realized there are genuine collectors, not dealers. Then maybe he will loose up some stuff from his collection. 

With a list of names and what items wanted, with cash in hand. You’re set to pluck stuff out there.

Interesting thread.

and now for some mindless, late night nonsense (feel free to ignore)

Spoiler

One thing that sort of puzzles me though is the people referring to this as a "find". Clearly this person has collected these items over many years and carefully maintained them. They are more or less just like one of the collectors who frequent this website. Is it safe to say this person let it be known that they were wanting to sell a lifelong collection?

But somehow their collection was "found". I consider it a find when you happen upon some books some place you would not expect them or from an individual who has inherited the stuff with no real knowledge what they have other than "comics stuff". I sort of equate a find to something an archeologist does-- uncovering something previously unknown to exist.

Perhaps it is just semantics. Someday, I suppose someone will find my books too. They won't be difficult to find. They are all neatly organized and come with complete inventories and my best guess at grade/condition. No where as extensive as this guys stuff but at least they won't take days to paw over to find the meat on the bone.

Edited by 01TheDude

11 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Here is an idea to you. Not sure if it would help ... but anyway try.  Tell this guy with his collection, you have many interested collectors wanting to pick whatever item is of particular interest to each own. Once he realized there are genuine collectors, not dealers. Then maybe he will loose up some stuff from his collection. 

With a list of names and what items wanted, with cash in hand. You’re set to pluck stuff out there.

It is exactly what we are doing, but he doesn't reply and seems reluctant.

I think he isn't all that ready to sell. He spent a lifetime collecting these items, and he adores them. To see them sold piece by piece just tugs at the heart strings.

He wants someone to walk in with $60,000 and take it all in closed cardboard boxes. If he sees the item he doesn't want to sell it.

13 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Interesting thread.

and now for some mindless, late night nonsense (feel free to ignore)

Reveal hidden contents

One thing that sort of puzzles me though is the people referring to this as a "find". Clearly this person has collected these items over many years and carefully maintained them. They are more or less just like one of the collectors who frequent this website. Is it safe to say this person let it be known that they were wanting to sell a lifelong collection?

But somehow their collection was "found". I consider it a find when you happen upon some books some place you would not expect them or from an individual who has inherited the stuff with no real knowledge what they have other than "comics stuff". I sort of equate a find to something an archeologist does-- uncovering something previously unknown to exist.

Perhaps it is just semantics. Someday, I suppose someone will find my books too. They won't be difficult to find. They are all neatly organized and come with complete inventories and my best guess at grade/condition. No where as extensive as this guys stuff but at least they won't take days to paw over to find the meat on the bone.

Love the new avatar, Dude!

On 12/14/2017 at 8:40 AM, Artboy99 said:

It is exactly what we are doing, but he doesn't reply and seems reluctant.

I think he isn't all that ready to sell. He spent a lifetime collecting these items, and he adores them. To see them sold piece by piece just tugs at the heart strings.

He wants someone to walk in with $60,000 and take it all in closed cardboard boxes. If he sees the item he doesn't want to sell it.

Maybe he needs to sit on it for another year before he realizes that nobody is going to do that and comes to terms with selling it.

Time is (sometimes) your friend.

I went to an estate sale a few months ago where the owner had amassed a huge amount of collectibles, not just comic related. He unfortunately got sick, was going to sell some of them to help pay medical costs and eventually never got better and passed away.

the collection was then turned over to an estate sale where many items were sold way below their value. 

It’s a shame because based on some of the comics (mainly copper) he had done a good job of keeping the books in excellent condition and had purchased multiple keys 

56 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I went to an estate sale a few months ago where the owner had amassed a huge amount of collectibles, not just comic related. He unfortunately got sick, was going to sell some of them to help pay medical costs and eventually never got better and passed away.

the collection was then turned over to an estate sale where many items were sold way below their value. 

It’s a shame because based on some of the comics (mainly copper) he had done a good job of keeping the books in excellent condition and had purchased multiple keys 

As collectors we rarely think about how hard it is to sell our collection and who might end up selling it.

13 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

we've agreed on a price and will be buying this collection.  Now I have to figure out where to store it as it's the 6th collection we've picked up in 2 months.

Just display them on the floor of your end cap booths at Calgary Expo Apr, 2018. (: Have Harley crawl around on his hands and knees ripping the lids off your boxes while your Clobberin' Time team is still unloading rest of stock and wall racks from your SUV. Sell, sell, sell. :golfclap:

24 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Good news, we've agreed on a price and will be buying this collection.  Now I have to figure out where to store it as it's the 6th collection we've picked up in 2 months.

I offer up my meager single bedroom condo as prime storage space, for free. ?

2 minutes ago, 10cents said:

Posted December 15, 2017

Quite a long negotiating period! Did he shop it around and finally agree to your previous offer when he couldn't get a better one? I would love to hear how it all went down.

Congrats, some very nice pieces in there. :) 

His price was 4 X our offer.  I used a little reverse psychology on him, stuck to my offer and suggested other dealers he could offer it to lol 

He had handed out lists of his collection to dealers at the last Edmonton Expo but we were the only guys to go look - it's 100 miles out of the city.  There's no big keys and it's easy to overlook the value in this collection but I really like all the fanzines and Con program books - probably 500 to 1000 of them and I love the MMMS stuff.  My heart sunk a little when he said yes, this is gonna take a long time to process and sell.

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

His price was 4 X our offer.  I used a little reverse psychology on him, stuck to my offer and suggested other dealers he could offer it to lol 

He had handed out lists of his collection to dealers at the last Edmonton Expo but we were the only guys to go look - it's 100 miles out of the city.  There's no big keys and it's easy to overlook the value in this collection but I really like all the fanzines and Con program books - probably 500 to 1000 of them and I love the MMMS stuff.  My heart sunk a little when he said yes, this is gonna take a long time to process and sell.

Good stuff, I love all those Fooms and con programs as well. The posters and prints look to be in great shape. Have fun :) 

3 hours ago, 10cents said:

Good stuff, I love all those Fooms and con programs as well. The posters and prints look to be in great shape. Have fun :) 

The current challenge is storage: where does it go? As Dave's partner in this my home is rather useless for storing boxes of books. I live in a 3rd floor wood construction 1 bedroom condo. I at one time did have a lot of the boxes in my place and Dave came by one time and he said my floor was "moving" ( IE going to collapse! ) due to the weight.

The other challenge is when and where to sell it. Dave and I attend local comic shows to sell stuff, but we have limited display space to do so. A HUGE portion of this collection will never make shows so it means developing an online presence that we have never had to do before.

If only we had a retail location...

5 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Good news, we've agreed on a price and will be buying this collection.  Now I have to figure out where to store it as it's the 6th collection we've picked up in 2 months.

Welcome to retirement (: