• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collection We Looked At
7 7

1,026 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

We have not owned this collection all that long. We bought it on April 25th.

We picked up about 50 boxes of the collection and a whole bunch of prints/ art in large cardboard holders while on our way to the Calgary Comic Expo. We brought those boxes to the Calgary Expo and we brought in about 20 of them and placed them on the floor under our tables unsearched and unpriced ( we didnt have time since we picked it up on route! ) It was a feeding frenzy. We sold what I would say was 4 boxes full of magazines/ books/ fanzines /prints at the show to various buyers. We still have about 150 full boxes

We have yet to process this collection, for now we have finally just picked it all up as Dave picked up to remaining 100 boxes on Friday.

The original owner a fellow collector he knew that if he ever sold his collection that he would get first crack at several items so we are trying to honor that. I spent about 5 hours digging some of the boxes at the storage unit today to fulfill the buyers list of items.

As we took the first batch of boxes to the Calgary Expo we may have sold some of those items as we got the guys list after the Calgary show.

This was a collection that we did look at last year but his price was too high.  Took more than 6 months for the owner to come down to a price we could live with.  When buying a collection this big you’d better double or triple your cost as it’s a lot of work.  And yes, will take years to sell it all

11 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Sorry Chip, not sure.  I will check when I get a chance.  There's so much I don't really know where to start, guess that's a good thing but right now it's a challenge..

Pretty sure it's just the oversized hardcover that collects just FF #1. But REALLY oversized. I've never seen it in person, so I don't know if we're merely talking Absolute size, but I always assumed bigger than even that. 

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

This was a collection that we did look at last year but his price was too high.  Took more than 6 months for the owner to come down to a price we could live with.  When buying a collection this big you’d better double or triple your cost as it’s a lot of work.  And yes, will take years to sell it all

I can only imagine the time commitment...I purchased a 20 box collection and helped a friend go through a 30k comic collection; end-to-end we're talking hundreds of hours.  

I think it's important for people to realize these type of collections have an 'endless' goal to them.  There will be a long stretch of time when all your free time is devoted on this, dealers don't talk about the affect this has on their lifestyles.  So for people reading this thread and thinking how much fun/work it might be, you need to have a family environment that's conducive or willing to handle the stress and rigors of acquiring and processing this.  We need to go beyond simple cost and sales...

Edited by spreads

16 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

C5F46FDC-2536-4ABE-9E4A-6DAA4952DCE8.jpeg

63655FB2-1630-45EE-8A25-C549B0B5C73A.jpeg

3C149A19-A6EC-4F24-BC54-8019192C26F6.jpeg

068BA8FD-185A-45F6-8B60-8A6C8318EFC3.jpeg

1D62D264-954C-4471-8654-23850B20BF07.jpeg

B82A40D9-E957-46C8-8692-24B32701C030.jpeg

I see those French heritage books here often, they're pretty common here and don't have much value but maybe out West it's a bit more of a novelty.  

Are those prices original prices the buyer paid for some of those items?  That Dell book is sharp but $350 at god knows how long ago....eiip :/