• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collection We Looked At
7 7

1,026 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Everything he bought was related to an artist he collected, most notably Steranko but also Gulacy, Stevens, Boris, and a bit of Jack Kirby

If Steranko attended a convention, was mentioned in a fanzine or magazine, etc, this guy bought it.  If his art was on a card, tshirt, book cover, toy, he bought it.   There are tons of price guides, books, other research materials with bookmarks at spots that mention Steranko and I'd imagine he used those to track down everything Steranko related.

ok. sounds like he was deep into it. good for him, and you.

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

ok. sounds like he was deep into it. good for him, and you.

The seller has binders full of clipped out art from Magazines. Example: if Steranko had a piece of art in Heavy metal issue 38, he purchased a copy of the magazine and cut out the piece of art and glued it into a page ( scrap booking ) and also kept the cover to that magazine and documented the information. He would also buy multiple copies of the magazine. It is not uncommon to find 2,3,or more of the same item.

This took him decades to do, and it must have been very difficult to let it all go.

20180521_111715.jpg

20180521_111737.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

This took him decades to do, and it must have been very difficult to let it all go.

It's an amazing collection of exactly the kind of oddball stuff I enjoy.

But while I can see how it would be very tough to let it go, I can also see how it might be liberating.

Sometimes I look around at all of my junk and think "Why not pretend like I only have a few months to live, and sell all of this ?" For a moment, it is a freeing feeling.

Then I go buy more junk.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

But while I can see how it would be very tough to let it go, I can also see how it might be liberating.

Sometimes I look around at all of my junk and think "Why not pretend like I only have a few months to live, and sell all of this ?" For a moment, it is a freeing feeling.

Then I go buy more junk.

I have liberated myself several times over my comic collecting life, and one time my EX liberated me by throwing my books away. The "disease" keeps sucking me back in though.

again, thanks for taking the time to post pictures & the story of all this.

Curious if there was something (that you knew of) that he said, "Well, I can't let this Steranko item go."  ??

17 minutes ago, NoMan said:

again, thanks for taking the time to post pictures & the story of all this.

Curious if there was something (that you knew of) that he said, "Well, I can't let this Steranko item go."  ??

I suspect that there are several personal favorites that he kept but he did not disclose it to us. There are a few obvious collection holes of items that should be there but are not. An example that comes to my mind is a Vampirella print by Dave Stevens. It is an item that is fresh in my mind as I was offered this print several months ago by a different seller but I didn't take it as I assumed there would be one in this collection. After all every other Dave Stevens poster/ print /magazine/ comic/ pin/ postcard set/ Zippo lighter is there yet the print was not there. It isn't all that valuable, so I wonder why it isn't in the collection? Did he miss it? Seems unlikely based on how meticulous and thorough he was with everything else. Perhaps yes he did keep a few items.

Vamp Dave Stevens.png

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Then I go buy more junk.

I don’t mean to get personal but seeing as you brought it up: why the hypothetical exercise? Why get rid of it all? Are you unhappy with the volume/storage issues with you collection? Is the joy in the hunt and if you gotta start again from scratch and find it all than it’s fun ( again?)

again don’t mean to get personal I just find the psychology in collecting (anything) fascinating. 

Edited by NoMan

12 hours ago, F For Fake said:
12 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Then I go buy more junk.

While it may have been liberating for the OO, my guess is that it was also satisfying to know that the people buying the collection would make sure that it got into the hands of others who have a similar passion (albeit not as intense) for those items. If this were my stuff, I would feel as if all that work was not a wasted effort but a pursuit that ended with spreading the joy he had collecting the items. They aren't going to end up in some trash pile-- they will find good homes.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

While it may have been liberating for the OO, my guess is that it was also satisfying to know that the people buying the collection would make sure that it got into the hands of others who have a similar passion (albeit not as intense) for those items. If this were my stuff, I would feel as if all that work was not a wasted effort but a pursuit that ended with spreading the joy he had collecting the items. They aren't going to end up in some trash pile-- they will find good homes.

we were like kids in a candy store when we were looking at this collection in his basement. The owner could tell we appreciated the collection. Appreciate the positive words. We are going to find good homes for these items.

One other thing-- reviewing the pictures and content of this collection probably makes many folks realize just how personal collecting can be. Sure-- you have people who only chase key books but many of us apply our own flair to how we put together collections. That is what makes the hobby so interesting beyond just the items.

Thanks for sharing some of the items with the rest of us.

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

One other thing-- reviewing the pictures and content of this collection probably makes many folks realize just how personal collecting can be. Sure-- you have people who only chase key books but many of us apply our own flair to how we put together collections. That is what makes the hobby so interesting beyond just the items.

Thanks for sharing some of the items with the rest of us.

Well said.  As we go through this collection and other collections we can't help but think about the person who built the collection and the amount of time and love that went into it.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, NoMan said:

I don’t mean to get personal but seeing as you brought it up: why the hypothetical exercise? Why get rid of it all? Are you unhappy with the volume/storage issues with you collection? Is the joy in the hunt and if you gotta start again from scratch and find it all than it’s fun ( again?)

again don’t mean to get personal I just find the psychology in collecting (anything) fascinating. 

Oh, no worries, you can get personal! I guess there are several different facets that go into this thinking, but you've hit on the major ones.

1. As I get older (and I'm only 41) I realize that if something were to happen to me, this stuff is just going to be a burden for my wife. We don't have children, or any family who are interested in any of this stuff. So, it's just going to get sold off at some point anyway, and knowing my wife, she is not the sort that is going to try to get top dollar by selling it off piece by piece, maximizing her profit. And she's definitely not going to want to keep any of it. She isn't a "stuff" person.  So, is it better to burden her with it after I'm gone, or is it better to sell it off now and at least we can both enjoy the money and the "fruits of my labor"?

2. I think I definitely enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" more than I enjoy owning the stuff itself...though I DO enjoy owning the stuff.

3. I am a little OCD, I like to keep things pretty orderly, but at this moment I've amassed more than I can catalog and display to my liking, so it sorta makes me...nervous...

It wouldn't be unprecedented for me to sell it all off. I've changed my focus a lot over the years. Sold all of my "floppies" in favor of getting into trades/HC's. Sold the trades and HC's to get back into floppies. Sold all my comic stuff to buy comic art. Sold my comic art to buy toys. Sold my toys to buy statues. Etc. It's cyclical, as my interests shift over the years. For the last year or so I've been back to buying everything (comics, books, toys AND art) because there are so many good deals out there, and I love all of those things in different ways. I also collect movies, and physical media has never been cheaper, as more and more people switch to streaming. I've been buying tons of Blu Rays, DVDs, even reigniting my old Laser Disc passion! Meanwhile, stacks of movies and boxes of comics are piling up faster than I can integrate them.

So, right now I'm in an accumulation phase. But I can feel the purge coming. Whether I shift focus, reinvest, or just sell it all and be done, remains to be seen. Although I FEEL old, 41 isn't old, so I realize that if I sell it all now, I'm probably going to regret it in a couple of years, meaning I'd have to pay more to buy it all back. And that is what has me holding on...for now!

Oh, no worries, you can get personal! I guess there are several different facets that go into this thinking, but you've hit on the major ones.

1. As I get older (and I'm only 41) I realize that if something were to happen to me, this stuff is just going to be a burden for my wife. We don't have children, or any family who are interested in any of this stuff. So, it's just going to get sold off at some point anyway, and knowing my wife, she is not the sort that is going to try to get top dollar by selling it off piece by piece, maximizing her profit. And she's definitely not going to want to keep any of it. She isn't a "stuff" person.  So, is it better to burden her with it after I'm gone, or is it better to sell it off now and at least we can both enjoy the money and the "fruits of my labor"?

2. I think I definitely enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" more than I enjoy owning the stuff itself...though I DO enjoy owning the stuff.

3. I am a little OCD, I like to keep things pretty orderly, but at this moment I've amassed more than I can catalog and display to my liking, so it sorta makes me...nervous...

It wouldn't be unprecedented for me to sell it all off. I've changed my focus a lot over the years. Sold all of my "floppies" in favor of getting into trades/HC's. Sold the trades and HC's to get back into floppies. Sold all my comic stuff to buy comic art. Sold my comic art to buy toys. Sold my toys to buy statues. Etc. It's cyclical, as my interests shift over the years. For the last year or so I've been back to buying everything (comics, books, toys AND art) because there are so many good deals out there, and I love all of those things in different ways. I also collect movies, and physical media has never been cheaper, as more and more people switch to streaming. I've been buying tons of Blu Rays, DVDs, even reigniting my old Laser Disc passion! Meanwhile, stacks of movies and boxes of comics are piling up faster than I can integrate them.

So, right now I'm in an accumulation phase. But I can feel the purge coming. Whether I shift focus, reinvest, or just sell it all and be done, remains to be seen. Although I FEEL old, 41 isn't old, so I realize that if I sell it all now, I'm probably going to regret it in a couple of years, meaning I'd have to pay more to buy it all back. And that is what has me holding on...for now!

we have much in common.

Sell all the toys to by comics ( when I was 10! ), sell all the comics to buy a car. Sell the car and buy Magic the Gathering cards. Sell the cards to buy comics. Sell the comics to buy more comics. As I am soon to be 53 I am just over a decade further into my "cycles". I definitely have piles upon piles of stuff. My estimate is that I now am 50% owner of 400 boxes of show/ selling comic inventory, and 40 boxes of personal inventory and I am accumulating more all the time.

Does your dvd movie shelf look like mine?  An example of OCD: I have the theatrical releases of the Lord of the Rings trilogy on DVD, I also have the extended DVD releases, then I also went and bought the Blue ray set of the Extended releases. Why do I need 3 different versions of the same movie???

20180611_080643.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

Thanks. I think about the same things and in the photography world (another hobby of mine) they refer to this as “ aquisition disorder.”  

And I have it. But somehow I keep it in check in the comic hobby. Go figure. 

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

we have much in common.

Sell all the toys to by comics ( when I was 10! ), sell all the comics to buy a car. Sell the car and buy Magic the Gathering cards. Sell the cards to buy comics. Sell the comics to buy more comics. As I am soon to be 53 I am just over a decade further into my "cycles". I definitely have piles upon piles of stuff. My estimate is that I now am 50% owner of 400 boxes of show/ selling comic inventory, and 40 boxes of personal inventory and I am accumulating more all the time.

Does your dvd movie shelf look like mine?  An example of OCD: I have the theatrical releases of the Lord of the Rings trilogy on DVD, I also have the extended DVD releases, then I also went and bought the Blue ray set of the Extended releases. Why do I need 3 different versions of the same movie???

20180611_080643.jpg

My brother! Yes, I feel the kinship. Well, my movie shelves are looking a little more orderly than my comics shelves these days, but things are definitely starting to stack up and overflow. There are several movies that I own in multiple formats. Alien is probably the biggest offender: VHS, THX Laserdisc, Laserdisc Boxed Set, Special Edition DVD, DVD, anniversary edition Blu-Ray, and part of the Alien Anthology Blu-Ray boxed set. It's an illness! For a lot of the movies that I own in multiples, I can justify it by minute differences in the different versions (for instance, one of those Alien DVD's is the last appearance of the original color timing, before they rescanned the negatives and added a different tint) such as theatrical, extended, directors cuts, etc. Sometimes it's just because I dig the packaging. And like I said, media is dirt cheap these days. You can get tons of DVDs and Blus for only a couple of bucks, so I don't feel so guilty about them stacking up.