• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collection We Looked At
7 7

1,026 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, NoMan said:

Is that your price tags on items or did OO have them on items?

i like the totally nude blonde. Reminds me of an old girlfriend I had named Lynn. 

She was a lot of fun. At least for awhile. 

The price tags on the items are the original owners. It is what he paid for the items.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

The price tags on the items are the original owners. It is what he paid for the items.

Thanks. I’ve always wondered as a seller: should you leave original price tags that you paid on item when you go to sell it as this gives an idea to buyer what you paid or am I overthinking stuff?

40 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Thanks. I’ve always wondered as a seller: should you leave original price tags that you paid on item when you go to sell it as this gives an idea to buyer what you paid or am I overthinking stuff?

Definitely not.

It's probably mispriced, also you want to use your 'branded pricing' for consistency.  I made the mistake early-on of having books from previously collections of old stickers that I had in a box (some items weren't for sale, others were just not rebagged/priced-yet); let's say some buyers got a couple deals off me!   

45 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Also, what you paid for a book (book cost) should have little influence on what you're trying to sell it for (market value).

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Also, what you paid for a book (book cost) should have little influence on what you're trying to sell it for (market value).

I was glad he still had price stickers on some stuff.  Some of these items are so obscure we had no idea what it was worth and the price stickers gave us at least a starting point.

38 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I was glad he still had price stickers on some stuff.  Some of these items are so obscure we had no idea what it was worth and the price stickers gave us at least a starting point.

The problem is with obscure stuff, the more stale the price the less relevant it is, especially on 'one-of-a-kind' items.  Up until a few years ago I had a big ashcan collection, really rare stuff, Moebius ashcans, Maxx Ashcans, etc.  Some of these items 10-20 years ago would only have sales of $10-15 each (and that might have been the only sale of that book); now some of those same books would sell for $100-1000/each.  Had those stickers been left on, and you factored that price in your selling price at all you would be leaving a lot of money on the table.  It's a bit painful, but you need to individually research those single one-of-a-kind items....

Edited by spreads

1 minute ago, spreads said:

The problem is with obscure stuff, the more stale the price the less relevant it is, especially on 'one-of-a-kind' items.  Up until a few years ago I a big ashcan collection, really rare stuff, Moebius ashcans, Maxx Ashcans, etc.  Some of these items 10-20 years ago would only have sales of $10-15 each (and that might have been the only sale of that book); now some of those same books would sell for $100-1000/each.  Had those stickers been left on, and you factored that price in your selling price at all you would be leaving a lot of money on the table.  It's a bit painful, but you need to individually research those single one-of-a-kind items....

The stickers tell me what the collector was willing to pay for the item some time in the past.  When dealing with a collection of this size that helps to find value quickly.  From there i certainly research prices although I can't find any sales data for some of these items - for eg I just looked up the Wrightson Frankenstein postcards and found nothing.  Generally, the sticker prices for most of the obscure fanzines and program books is about right and I've started going with his sticker price on those.  

25 minutes ago, spreads said:

The problem is with obscure stuff, the more stale the price the less relevant it is, especially on 'one-of-a-kind' items.  Up until a few years ago I had a big ashcan collection, really rare stuff, Moebius ashcans, Maxx Ashcans, etc.  Some of these items 10-20 years ago would only have sales of $10-15 each (and that might have been the only sale of that book); now some of those same books would sell for $100-1000/each.  Had those stickers been left on, and you factored that price in your selling price at all you would be leaving a lot of money on the table.  It's a bit painful, but you need to individually research those single one-of-a-kind items....

A large percentage of these items have no sales data or we can't find any. This happened all day long each day at the Calgary Expo. I spent the entire time looking up prices or making up prices for items that I couldn't find any information on.

19 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

A large percentage of these items have no sales data or we can't find any. This happened all day long each day at the Calgary Expo. I spent the entire time looking up prices or making up prices for items that I couldn't find any information on.

Right.  What I'm saying is you might need to hold stuff back and not put it out for sale right away; do qualitative research on threads like this.  I know it's not possible to do it with the sheer volume of stuff you guys have, but on 5% of the stuff it might be worth putting aside in a 'research later' box.