• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your least favorite inker?

23 posts in this topic

When I first started collecting comics back in the 1970s, I was drawn to the art. Like most people I had my favorite artists. But I would notice that some of the comics drawn by my favorite artists didn't look as good as other comics they drew. I eventually realized that an inker can overpower the pencils of a quality artist. I was recently skimming through some bronze age books and noticed there were quite a few inkers who did a lot of work that for me weren't really that good. Or at the least, I didn't care for there style.

Here is my list of my least favorite inkers. These are mostly from the Bronze Age, but if there are some recent inkers you don't care for, feel free to include them.

What least favorite inker list would be complete with out Vince Colletta. I know he was very prolific and he could practically ink an entire book in 1 night, but in most cases it looked like it. Many a times I would buy a new comic and see the name of a favorite artist listed as penciller, but then see the name of Vince Colletta and I would say to myself, "that's a waste of a good artist". 

Here are more inkers I was not fond of.  Jack Abel, Joe Giella, Tex Blaisdell, Frank Giacoia, Frank Chiaramonte, Frank Springer.

What were some of the inkers you dreaded seeing listed in the credits of a comic book?

Edited by Comicdave

Picking something at the opposite extreme to Vince 'The Eraser ' Colletta, I was never too keen either about inkers who didn't enhance the penciller's art as much as almost completely obliterate it with an overlay of their own style, such as Rudy Nebres, back in the Bronze Age.

On 10/11/2017 at 2:52 PM, Comicdave said:

When I first started collecting comics back in the 1970s, I was drawn to the art. Like most people I had my favorite artists. But I would notice that some of the comics drawn by my favorite artists didn't look as good as other comics they drew. I eventually realized that an inker can overpower the pencils of a quality artist. I was recently skimming through some bronze age books and noticed there were quite a few inkers who did a lot of work that for me weren't really that good. Or at the least, I didn't care for there style.

Here is my list of my least favorite inkers. These are mostly from the Bronze Age, but if there are some recent inkers you don't care for, feel free to include them.

What least favorite inker list would be complete with out Vince Colletta. I know he was very prolific and he could practically ink an entire book in 1 night, but in most cases it looked like it. Many a times I would buy a new comic and see the name of a favorite artist listed as penciller, but then see the name of Vince Colletta and I would say to myself, "that's a waste of a good artist". 

Here are more inkers I was not fond of.  Jack Abel, Joe Giella, Tex Blaisdell, Frank Giacoia, Frank Chiaramonte, Frank Springer.

What were some of the inkers you dreaded seeing listed in the credits of a comic book?

Spot on on your list.  I actually like Jack Abel's dark style but coletta, blaisdell, and chiaramonte absolutely destroyed Curt Swan's work.  So did oskner-yuck.  Compare Curt Swan with murphy anderson or george klein or stan kaye.  Even john forte, who was a ridiculous penciler, did a great job inking swan.  Coletta was horrible but even he could not destroy Kirby on thor.  

Edited by kav

5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Its a toss between Milgrom and Klaus Jansen. Both of which has inked Art Adams in the late 80s :facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Serious? Klaus Janson easily one of the best all-time inkers. Made alot of plain vanilla art really come alive.  I'll certainly agree with Milgrom.  Dan Adkins also comes to mind as very mediocre.

Jansen on Miller was great. Jansen on everyone else can be hard to look at. His style is so heavy, thick, and distinctive that it often ruins the pencils. I've seen some Jansen inking on Gil Kane that made me very :(

Edited by Jerkfro

Klaus Jansen is a very 'style-particular' inker.  the book has to have the right graphical motif for his inks to work.  otherwise it looks like he used a broom to lay down lines

2 hours ago, Sal said:

Klaus Jansen is a very 'style-particular' inker.  the book has to have the right graphical motif for his inks to work.  otherwise it looks like he used a broom to lay down lines

That’s why I thought it didn’t work well with Arthur Adams, as it produces a heavy softening and shading effect which overwhelmed his pencils.