• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Grief! It's Peanuts...

59 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

It's an incredible tragedy.  Over the last hour the air quality in SF just dramatically took a nose dive.  I don't want to know what caused it. 

The loss of structures and other things insurance can replace is no loss at all.  But, the loss of a family's photos, the stuff that holds special associations like Schultz's art desk, those things can never be replaced.  It is absolute tragic for those families.  And there are thousands of them in NorCal right now.

The loss of the cultural treasures, like whatever original art was in the Schultz home and the home of his son, is a loss we all suffer.  Tragic also, but in a different way.

Terrible.

How weird is it that a thread focusing on Schultz is started here a few days ago...... and Schultz is in the news today because of this tragedy.  :frown:

12 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

One of my favorites. 

1958 Christmas themed Sunday  

771F853D-A57C-48B6-AD2B-61A5BDD3B676.jpeg

Wow !!  What a great piece.  How come it's not in a frame ?   All the characters except Snoopy ...... unless he is hiding somewhere in there and I missed him

17 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Going through some MAD's this evening.  I forgot about this one.  Should be a good read for tonight :) 

59efeb6f5a3c7_MAD138.thumb.jpg.1d559c54e8f17eb2ebda7945dfd691a3.jpg

Whether you're a Disney guy, a Looney Tunes person, or Felix, Popeye, Scooby, or Tom and Jerry die hard, The Peanuts have a place in all our hearts due to those Holiday specials that are still aired today annually and with much fanfare as a tradition. And Snoopy is just about the  coolest (confident, witty, charismatic) cartoon character i know (after a certain gray hare :D) , but Snoopy is in that 'special class' like Tom and Jerry of characters who managed to appeal to generations without 'talking'. I know there are shorts where Tom sang or uttered a one or two word response breaking the fourth wall, but ultimately Tom and Jerry were silent Characters. Long over due Thread. Hope all the hard core keep it going

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

Whether you're a Disney guy, a Looney Tunes person, or Felix, Popeye, Scooby, or Tom and Jerry die hard, The Peanuts have a place in all our hearts due to those Holiday specials that are still aired today annually and with much fanfare as a tradition. And Snoopy is just about the  coolest (confident, witty, charismatic) cartoon character i know (after a certain gray hare :D) , but Snoopy is in that 'special class' like Tom and Jerry of characters who managed to appeal to generations without 'talking'. I know there are shorts where Tom sang or uttered a one or two word response breaking the fourth wall, but ultimately Tom and Jerry were silent Characters. Long over due Thread. Hope all the hard core keep it going

I really don't like those TV shows, so that has nothing to do with my enduring fondness for Peanuts. For me, the comic strips were Peanuts. You mention Snoopy 'not talking', but his internal monologues lifted what was otherwise a charming observational comedy into something with surreal elements. I still smile when I think about "The beagle has landed" (on the moon) or the Masked Marvel, and there are some beautifully poignant WWI strips - "Curse this stupid war!"

9 minutes ago, AJD said:

I really don't like those TV shows, so that has nothing to do with my enduring fondness for Peanuts. For me, the comic strips were Peanuts. You mention Snoopy 'not talking', but his internal monologues lifted what was otherwise a charming observational comedy into something with surreal elements. I still smile when I think about "The beagle has landed" (on the moon) or the Masked Marvel, and there are some beautifully poignant WWI strips - "Curse this stupid war!"

You don't like those TV shows Andrew??? Blaspheme! :baiting: :D

And yes, my perspective is based on the cartoons, as i was comparing the Peanuts to characters whose foundations were as animated characters, not the strips which i know was the foundation for the Peanuts. Thanks for 'allowing'me to clarify my statement, buddy. 

I love the 'Red Baron' piece in the Great Pumpkin special. Make me smile every time

Edited by sagii