• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going digital for new comics?

6 posts in this topic

I've been going to my lcs for well over a decade, I literally have box #1. I like my lcs, but really would prefer going digital. I don't collect modern books, I really just read them and pile them up and eventually throw them in a box; digital would be help with the clutter. My lcs also just stopped giving a discount for members, so cost on new box is same either way. 

I want to go digital, but can't help but feel guilty for some reason. Anyone else have this or do I just need to strap a pair on? 

1 minute ago, Chiefs1313 said:

I've been going to my lcs for well over a decade, I literally have box #1. I like my lcs, but really would prefer going digital. I don't collect modern books, I really just read them and pile them up and eventually throw them in a box; digital would be help with the clutter. My lcs also just stopped giving a discount for members, so cost on new box is same either way. 

I want to go digital, but can't help but feel guilty for some reason. Anyone else have this or do I just need to strap a pair on? 

lol I'd say strap on a pair!  I went through the same thing; I don't "collect" moderns in any capacity so have gone digital for all my modern titles.  I know many purists won't agree but I think digital is great.  I recommend getting a Marvel Unlimited subscription if you don't already.  There's always something to read and every week there are dozens (probably hundreds) of new books added.  And...  You can read them anywhere!  

No need to feel guilty at all.

I prefer digital and don’t miss the weekly ritual of going to the LCS : rather I’m able very quickly to access pretty much any comicbook that I’m interested in reading, across several decades.  

The images look superb on a large iPad Pro.

Edited by Ken Aldred

14 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

No need to feel guilty at all.

I prefer digital and don’t miss the weekly ritual of going to the LCS : rather I’m able very quickly to access pretty much any comicbook that I’m interested in reading, across several decades.  

The images look superb on a large iPad Pro.

Im the same way, I don't enjoy the trip to the lcs (I really only go once or twice a month.)

If you have an recent Marvel/DC books (the $4.99 priced books) usually have a digital code included in the back of the book, see if you can find one in the collection and read the digital version for "free" to give it a try. I still prefer physical copies, but with the right tablet/device these things look amazing. 

Someone already mentioned the large iPad Pro, and I can recommend the new Asus ZenPad 3S 10 as an android alternative,  under $300 for a 9.7" screen with plenty of power.