• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused 9.8 with Stresses?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I am confused. I received some books back at 9.8 with very clear visible tics or stress on the spine. And I received another 9.6 one with significant stresses/creases on the back page (6 in total). Very surprised with that many bends, it still graded a 9.6. I know this topic has come up before, but have a look at the images below. The small tic was for a TMNT book and with the stress causing a dent to the spine, it's very noticeable under the light. And I'm just baffled with the 9.6 score (the images with the purple backpage). Thoughts?

IMG_4022 2.JPG

IMG_4027 2.JPG

IMG_4028 2.JPG

IMG_4029 2.JPG

IMG_4030 2.JPG

IMG_4031 2.JPG

IMG_4034 2.JPG

The purple is Wolverine #4 back cover. I think I get the 9.8 now, but the 9.6 Wolverine is still baffling to me, when the back cover is littered with 6 different stresses/creases. Especially when they say 2 graders run through your books before a final grade is applied.

What did the graders' notes say? It's important to remember that grade is based on cumulative defects and different flaws are given different weight. 9.8 with a spine tick or two can still grade out if the rest of the book is flawless...at least this is what I've seen from the CGC over the past several years. It doesn't look like the tick on the TMNT book breaks any color, but it's hard to really tell from the picture alone.

Here is another 1/16" of spine tick that breaks color on the front cover of Invincible # 1. There are also another spine tick that doesn't break color and a blunt corner. Even with these defects, this book got a 9.6 from CGC. Now I begin to wonder if CGC grading criteria are no longer strict.  

IMG_2338.jpeg

IMG_2339.jpeg

1 hour ago, danchoi03 said:

Here is one 9.8 that I recently got with roughly 2" crease on the back cover of Umbrella Academy. CGC is getting very sloppy lately. IMG_2337.thumb.jpeg.c412001a7265be9b39ecc22130c3b1e9.jpegIMG_2336.thumb.jpeg.3079a118e2549d34555d0b476aacb5bc.jpeg

That looks like it was damaged during the encapsulation or during the shipping. That is damage, no way a 9.8. Assuming you submitted the book you should contact CGC. If you bought it, I think you should return it and get your money back. 

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That looks like it was damaged during the encapsulation or during the shipping. That is damage, no way a 9.8. Assuming you submitted the book you should contact CGC. If you bought it, I think you should return it and get your money back. 

Bob Bob Bob...  I was just getting ready to pack up my books for re submission.  You are such a downer!

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I bought this from eBAY. However, I tried to return it but the seller refused to give me a refund. I guess I have to wait out and settle this through eBay customer service. 

5 minutes ago, danchoi03 said:

I bought this from eBAY. However, I tried to return it but the seller refused to give me a refund. I guess I have to wait out and settle this through eBay customer service. 

The seller is a silly rabbit if he refuses. Ain't no such 'thang as the seller refusing to honor a return and the subsequent reversal of payment. Maybe there might be in some rare case of provably demonstrable buyer dishonesty, but your case will appear to paypal and ebay as it does here, at face value. You bought an item. It's not what you expected, you're not pleased, and you don't wish to keep it. A slam dunk of simplicity. You won't have a problem asking ebay and paypal to step in and effect the remedy that the seller refuses to issue. Clear cut case of buyer protection.

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I just subbed 4 moderns. They were all easy 9.4s IMO and one had a shot at 9.6

Books on their way back. 3 are 9.0 and the one I thought could make 9.6 was graded 8.5 so I really suck.

Show us the grader's notes when you receive them. 

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I just subbed 4 moderns. They were all easy 9.4s IMO and one had a shot at 9.6

Books on their way back. 3 are 9.0 and the one I thought could make 9.6 was graded 8.5 so I really suck.

That is pretty bad for moderns I think.  Take a hug.