• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you offer on this collection?

60 posts in this topic

It's a hard choice. Lets say I'm selling  my collection. I want to weed out the tire kickers and would be thieves.  I don't want to waste my time on someone who will paw thru my boxes and either try to cherry pick them or offer me eight cents a book. While I wouldn't expect even a ballpark figure, I'd want to know we are in the same state of mind before opening my doors to a stranger

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It's a hard choice. Lets say I'm selling  my collection. I want to weed out the tire kickers and would be thieves.  I don't want to waste my time on someone who will paw thru my boxes and either try to cherry pick them or offer me eight cents a book. While I wouldn't expect even a ballpark figure, I'd want to know we are in the same state of mind before opening my doors to a stranger

I was weeded out of a collection 2 weeks ago.  Guy told me not to come look at it unless I was willing to pay $3.46 per unit - unit is the new term for comic I guess - for a collection of mostly $1 books.   I won't be kicking his tires or his tailpipe.  

Its been a few weeks since I called an ad or have been called, but 90% of the sellers out here seem to think they have gold.  I do much better on non-comic items than comics. Just picked up a great collection of Marilyn Monroe posters and prints, most of them beautifully framed and matted for about $8 each. Frames alone are worth ten times that. Many poses I couldn't find on the net.

Hot Wheels are another disaster out here. Guy tells you he is 55 and had these things since he was a kid and you look at the first one and it was made in Malaysia in 2009.

On 10/13/2017 at 3:30 PM, 1Cool said:

I'm always scared when a seller says all the keys are still there.  A bulk seller who knows about the keys and still keeps them in the collection usually want top dollar for their stuff.  I like people who have no clue what a "key" book means.

Why?

16 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

Why?

People that use the terms like "keys" or "bagged and boarded" have a good knowledge of the industry and usually want top dollar for their books from my experience.  They usually are just seeking offers to justify selling the books themselves.  There are exceptions but just what I've seen.

If I inquire on a collection that I am asking to see and the seller asks for an offer before I see it, I always ask how much they are asking. If they decline to provide a number, I explain that I need to see it before making any offer. I then provide some background -- depends on what's there, condition; I won't cherry pick, will offer for all as long as I can use enough of them; my bulk buyers for stuff I don't want will pay 20 cents a book, etc -- if they still won't show to me without a sight unseen offer I then pass.

Then I wait a few months for their next ad to show up. They usually get it by then.

16 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Good luck with that price lol