• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to take great artwork photo's?

24 posts in this topic

I have been taking photo's of my artwork with my cellphone, and I haven't been too pleased with the results. The detailing is excellent, but the photo's make the artwork look skewed or off-center. While I can partially fix the basic images, they never look as good as some posted art in which the pages make perfect rectangles, perfectly centered. 

Is there a way to make those great images I sometimes see without professional machinery? I do have Photoshop, but I don't think that will solve my problem (or at least I haven't figured it out, yet).

26 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Is there a way to make those great images I sometimes see without professional machinery? I do have Photoshop, but I don't think that will solve my problem (or at least I haven't figured it out, yet).

Most folks use a Plustek, Mustek, or other branded a3 flatbed scanner.

https://www.amazon.com/Plustek-Flatbed-Scanner-1180-document/dp/B01MZXE0OV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507988125&sr=8-1&keywords=a3+Flatbed+Scanner

They used to be more like $200, not sure why now $350 but I'd think with a bit looking there lower-priced deals out there.

Easy fix. Photoshop Elements (basic, cheaper version) has a 'correct camera distortion' and 'rotate' features that "flattens" art photos to make them like flatbed scan images.  Unlike most photo editors, can retain full detail.  Other cool adjustments like hide inscriptions (i.e. "To Mike..") etc 

These work with older Photoshop Elements version (7.0 or later) that are available on eBay for $25.

Edited by GreatEscape

3 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Easy fix. Photoshop Elements (basic, cheaper version) has a 'correct camera distortion' and 'rotate' features that "flattens" art photos to make them like flatbed scan images.  Unlike most photo editors, can retain full detail.  Other cool adjustments like hide inscriptions (i.e. "To Mike..") etc 

These work with older Photoshop Elements version (7.0 or later) that are available on eBay for $25.

I see it's considered as a filter in Photoshop. I'll have to play around with it.

I'll admit to not having the best luck either -but what has worked best for me is to hang the art vertically and take a picture that way. I use painters tape on the back to hang it, so no damage comes to the art.  Then I take it to the computer and crop out the extra stuff around the art. taking a wider shot allows me to have a better  flatter image.   I also try and have bright sunlight on the art for the picture taking to avoid shadows and  for improving brightness.  it's still not as good as scanning -but so far i am not excited to go out and buy a scanner.

Edited by Panelfan1

I have a terrible time with photos, even when I crop and adjust the lighting on iPhoto. I essentially scan my artwork at a FedEx Express after trying many stores. This particular store works well with me as they have the best price with scanning at $1.99/scan vs $2.99 at Office Max. It's not very convenient to go every time I get artwork but I'm 98% happy with the results (I wish they'd do more to capture the "blue" on the page). I probably have spent enough money on scans that I could've owned a scanner by now. But it's easier to swallow $10 every other month than drop $350 at once. 

If you scan at a store, ask for it in color, 600dpi, and jpeg. Also, cover the copyright stamp on the back (if any) or else they may turn you away. I've been turned away for sketch covers too; it just depends on who serves you. I use white artist tape to cover the stamp, and you can buy that at any art supply store. 

2 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I have a terrible time with photos, even when I crop and adjust the lighting on iPhoto. I essentially scan my artwork at a FedEx Express after trying many stores. This particular store works well with me as they have the best price with scanning at $1.99/scan vs $2.99 at Office Max. It's not very convenient to go every time I get artwork but I'm 98% happy with the results (I wish they'd do more to capture the "blue" on the page). I probably have spent enough money on scans that I could've owned a scanner by now. But it's easier to swallow $10 every other month than drop $350 at once. 

If you scan at a store, ask for it in color, 600dpi, and jpeg. Also, cover the copyright stamp on the back (if any) or else they may turn you away. I've been turned away for sketch covers too; it just depends on who serves you. I use white artist tape to cover the stamp, and you can buy that at any art supply store. 

I assume you have to hand your art over to an employee to do the actual scanning? I would guess that nixes it for a number of collectors.

3 minutes ago, Khazano said:

This is an affordable A3 scanner. I have an older model. Been using it for years. The only caveat is the thing is HUGE. 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/brother-mfc-j6530dw

I have a similar Brother MFC and it's great.  Does pretty good color printing, duplex printing, 11x17 printing and really good scans.

I've had it for 5 or 6 years and never have had a single issue.

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I assume you have to hand your art over to an employee to do the actual scanning? I would guess that nixes it for a number of collectors.

That's right. All the places I've gone to, the scanners are just a few feet away, so there's no worry about the sales associate taking it to the back. Every SA I've dealt with handles my art with the utmost care. Some say that they'd like to wash their hands before they scan. Mind you, I never tell them how much the piece is worth. Whether it's a freebie or Mignola cover, they treat it the same. Better than the original artist(s). 

There are plenty of brand new multi function 11x17 capable scanner/printers to be had. I use an HP I got brand new for 200 last year. Only issue is I can't change the depth of field to scan cgc books properly. But for art it's professional quality.

10 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I have a similar Brother MFC and it's great.  Does pretty good color printing, duplex printing, 11x17 printing and really good scans.

I've had it for 5 or 6 years and never have had a single issue.

I have wondered about the quality of the Brother scanners. They are very reasonably priced so I was always curious if they held up. Nice to know - I might just pick one up and scan the rest of my collection to CAF

3 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

I have wondered about the quality of the Brother scanners. They are very reasonably priced so I was always curious if they held up. Nice to know - I might just pick one up and scan the rest of my collection to CAF

Just picked up this based on thread recommendation. Half off sale and free shipping, at least for Canadians. Maybe US site has a comparable sale?

https://www.brother.ca/en/p/MFCJ6530DW

4 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

I like my Brother scanner too

Malvin

I finally broke down and bought a new all-in-one HP printer/scanner deal to replace my older one. It'd been about 5 or 6 years with the last one, and the older one was a small (9x12) scan bed. The new fella does slightly larger than 11" x 17" scans, which is nice. It took a little fiddling when I set it up to get the scans flat, and not auto tweaked by the software, but once I did that, it's been OK. I use Photoshop to make any fine color tweaking scan adjustments after that. I think I've used it a couple dozen times since I bought it for OA page scans.

Given the whole shebang was only $200 it seemed like a decent choice.

Print wise, I've honestly not used it a lot yet. What I ahve run has been fine for an at-home inkjet printer. Truth is, I simply don't print at home much. And with that in mind... it's biggest down side for me is just the sheer size of the thing. It's compact compared to most that do what it does, but it's still big. Thankfully we have a nice cabinet behind our desk at home that it sits on OK.

This is the one, I believe:

https://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&partNumber=2728804&langid=-1&cid=PS:GooglePLAs:2728804&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2728804&KPID=2728804&cvosrc=PLA.google-SALES.Printers%20%26%20Scanners&cvo_crid=205249387326&cvo_campaign=876068831&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkNOarYr11gIV0AOGCh3AVwieEAQYByABEgLXLfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

As for big pieces, I usually use photographer's lights with diffusers and umbrellas. I bought a cheap set a long time ago on Amazon, for like $100 or so for the pair. With the brightest bulbs I could find. I set them up at roughly 45º angles from the piece to each other, which eliminates most glare. Mostly I bought them to take photos of oil paintings.

The biggest darkest painting I ever needed a scan of,  I had to take to a pro art photographer studio to have shot. That cost me a small bundle, but the photo was needed for a book, and the piece was impossible to shoot at home. It's been used in several books now, so I guess the cost was OK given how much use that scan has had.