• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carrying Options at cons
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hello folks! Looking for some suggestions for what’s the best way to carry around comics at cons. Just got back from one and saw a few people with wheeled dolly’s. Couldn’t find any online that looked similar. I usually take a backpack, but that gets heavy, extremely tiring real quick and offers minimal protection.

I like buying and getting things signed, so ideally something with ease of access to the books and decent storage.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

3 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Hello folks! Looking for some suggestions for what’s the best way to carry around comics at cons. Just got back from one and saw a few people with wheeled dolly’s. Couldn’t find any online that looked similar. I usually take a backpack, but that gets heavy, extremely tiring real quick and offers minimal protection.

I like buying and getting things signed, so ideally something with ease of access to the books and decent storage.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Bag of Holding con edition HERE with two bcw folio cases HERE. They fit just right.  

40 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

Bag of Holding con edition HERE with two bcw folio cases HERE. They fit just right.  

I like that it's called Bag of Holding.

Sounds like something I'd find after unlocking a storage chest in Skyrim.

Thanks for the suggestions. On the fence as to which to go with. Sometimes I have several and sometimes I just have a few books. Maybe both. Guess it’s better to get the dolly so o have more space for things o might buy.

I like the art portfolio bags.  They come in various sizes hold prints and art portfolios very well, and work well with slabs.  The only thing you want in addition is a comic box to keep unslabbed books in.  But I generally am not taking around enough book to warrent a hand cart.  But you can carry some original art, 30 or lose books, and a few slabs with ease.  Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HFS9NS/ref=asc_df_B000HFS9NS5222378/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B000HFS9NS&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167137788233&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15979155632731131143&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003970&hvtargid=pla-335204001324

Edited by drotto

I remember having a similar discussion a year ago.  Blob was in favor of bringing a dolly to buy volumes of dollar books.  I was in favor of moving or kicking Blob's dolly out of the way.  If you're just standing in line for signatures, and you're not in the buying area, I don't have an issue with it, but space is limited, so be considerate of others.  When I'm buying, I just bring a backpack. 

56 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I remember having a similar discussion a year ago.  Blob was in favor of bringing a dolly to buy volumes of dollar books.  I was in favor of moving or kicking Blob's dolly out of the way.  If you're just standing in line for signatures, and you're not in the buying area, I don't have an issue with it, but space is limited, so be considerate of others.  When I'm buying, I just bring a backpack. 

I agree.

Nothing irks me more than some person pushing a baby carriage in those packed narrow isles of a comic show. Hire a baby sitter.

I especially hate that when the baby carriage contains their prized poodle! Not kidding, true story. :mad: Just zero consideration for others, leave the carriage and the poodle at home!!!

That said I get equally irked trying to get passed some guy who is browsing comics in a box at a booth that is still wearing his backpack that sticks out beyond him by a good foot. Maybe he needed to take it off and place it on the floor when he is browsing.

I am in favor of something that is easily carried, works for your needs and can be placed out of the way yet is also secure enough that it isn't easily stolen when you are distracted.

40 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Yes, I think I posted a similar thread with the same question.  The decision was made that for a show where it wouldn't be a hindrance to accessibility, a hand cart like what is shown above is a fine solution. I am primarily a dollar box diver, so I tend to walk out of shows with hundreds of books, which can be a pain if parking is far away from the event. After years of working with a combination of backpack and satchel, the hand cart is a nice compromise.

The bicycle courier or laptop satchel style bag is a good choice.  I have a Samsonite version.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I usually go for signatures but then walk around. Definitely trying to be considerate but also need to consider what works for my purpose at the con as well. I’ve been behind some folks with the dolly, I usually just go around. 

19 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have a laptop Satchel... that I use for comics, But sometimes I do have to bring a backpack for water etc. 

Ditto, it has a strap to hold the laptop in place and works great for comics.  I've seen a lot of guys who buy bulk using small rolling suitcases

Having thought a bit more about my ideal version of a Skyrim-based Bag of Holding, I realised that one essential item was missing from it; a holder on the outside, for quick and easy access to a Canister of Extreme Deodorisation, which would be capable of removing 100 points of stench per spray from any noticeably ripe, unwashed, unshowered attendee within one metre.

Edited by Ken Aldred

This thread is less interesting than I thought.  I thought it would be about either CARRYING spelled with an M and  J, or CARRYING like Plaxico Burress.

the problem I have at cons is that gpa sorta sucks on mobile devices so it's hard for me to figure out if a price is ridiculous on GA and SA books without referring to it.  Other than that, I bring a backpack to lug around purchases because it constrains my buying.