• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patience pays off.......

4 posts in this topic

Many have similar stories looking for a certain piece and it takes you years or decades to find. I got hooked on Bill Willingham's writing and art with Elementals which last for two series but then Bill left it (along with other problems) and was canceled. He later created a tongue-in-cheek adult series called Ironwood published in the early 90s. It was outrageous, funny and his artwork had really evolved. Besides doing the interiors he did the covers in colour. I was able to buy some interior pages from Bill at the time but his covers sold immediately including Ironwood #6 my favorite from the run. Over the years I have tried to track it down, have bought other covers from the series but this one eluded me.
Fast forward to SDCC this year, I met Bill at the con he had done a commission for me which I was picking up. On a lark I asked if he still had any covers from the series, to my amazement he said he had recently gotten back Ironwood #6. I didn't ask the details just inquired if he would sell it to me. He agreed but had to dig it out and wanted me to contact him after the con. With his workload and having to find the cover it took a bit of time but all worth while. Thrilled to own this cover, its in the running for the Best of 2017.

The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Ironwood_6cvr1000.jpg

Check it out at larger scan of the cover plus the other art I recently received. I have bought a number of other pieces ranging from a Dr Who Classic cover, Monarch cover by McCrea plus two fantastic pieces by Joe Dragunas which Off-White picked up for me at NYCC.
Email me if anyone has any covers from Ironwood series. Thanks.

Edited by Brian Peck

14 minutes ago, Hal Turner said:

Congratulations! But weren't you at least a little curious as to how the cover ended up in Bill W.'s hands again?

Ya, I am curious but since he didn't share the story with me I wasn't going to ask.