• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thrill of the hunt! Recommendations needed!
3 3

25 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm looking for some recommendations. I mainly collect Batman and Spiderman titles which as we all know are more than readily available. If you have the money you could put together a spiderman run in a day just buying off ebay

I'm looking for some recommendations on a fun mini series or run to collect that will take a bit more searching...I miss the thrill of the hunt. I'm wanting something that will have me digging through long boxes. Something a little more obscure. 

Gold, silver, bronze, copper...preferably non mainstream hero...western,horror,sci fi, crime whatever. Something with some good art. Nothing too pricey, no pre Robin tecs or anything crazy like that. 

Right now I'm leaning towards maybe some westerns like Rawhide kid, Two Gun kid etc or Pre hero marvel sci fi or maybe some CRIME...

What do you recommend? and why do you recommend it?

Thanks for the suggestions !

Edited by DarkKnightReturns
and why do you recommend it? (added)

Cow Puncher has cool covers, but there are only 7 issues.

Or maybe the western Ghost Rider, golden age included some issues of Tim Holt, and there's a GA and SA version of cowboy GR, though I'm no expert, and several Frazetta covers might make them all 'keys' or at least expensive.

I was going to suggest Scooby Doo... putting together those runs as they weave their way through various publishers would be a fun challenge. However, you wanted something with great art and l'm not sure it would qualify.

i think there's something to be said for the Gold Key/Turok approach outlined above... such books are often in the bins, and (mostly) won't break the bank, but do require effort and patience.

i might suggest the Flash Gordon books... some amazing painted covers, but also some solid artwork by guys like Williamson, IIRC.

@DarkKnightReturns I always loved hunting series to complete, especially hunting through boxes at cons, or scouring eBay. I have/had lots of complete runs. Batman stymied me, so I did partial runs with him.

I spent a bunch of years completing Katy Keene 1-60. It's  a very hard to find series, some of the issues I own are in the GCD. It's not expensive now, but Archie is really going up in price. It's impossible to find in high grade, so that's not a big worry.

You might not like the art (unless you like GGA). The trick with that series is finding the books with the paper dolls complete. I think the DC Sci Fi SA books like Metal Men  and My Greatest Adventure or Mystery in Space are also fun.

My best suggestion is to look at the GCD (comics.org) and see some of the wonderful books there. It's a lot more comprehensive than Gerber, although that's a great source as well  if you want GA, the SA books are just Marvel and except for Atlas, I think the DC runs are harder to find right now.

4 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Sugar and Spike in mid grade or better. or even 4.0 for the early issues .... but good luck with that one.

Run of 'Fox and Crow' is scarce and decent artwork. Funny stories or if you prefer GA then run of Fox and Crow app. in Comic Cavalcade (some nice squarebounds) thick comics. :bigsmile:

6 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Run of 'Fox and Crow' is scarce and decent artwork. Funny stories or if you prefer GA then run of Fox and Crow app. in Comic Cavalcade (some nice squarebounds) thick comics. :bigsmile:

Nice suggestion , and actually pert near any GA run is going to take time effort and patience @DarkKnightReturns...

GA war comics are still affordable and readily available ,.. but they are slowly catching on , romance has already caught on BIG TIME ! but there are so many different series available that an obscure run one can be assembled under the radar

i would first do some major internet searching to find a series run you might be interested in, be sure to look at all genres , something you notice more often in your mind may stand out to you and click .. and then  start collecting them , even though GA runs take much patience ,..the internet has made so much easier than ever..!!!!

The Skywald and Eerie Publication horror comic runs were quite challenging to put together in VF or better condition.  Been at it for 15+ years and still haven't necessarily  gotten all the way there in grade.  I started here, because I couldn't afford much of the GA/PCH at the time and really got my fix with these books.

The stories in the Skywald books are top notch horror.  I mean they were a huge inspiration for Stephen King!

The covers on the Eerie Publication books are just nuts.  Bloody, Gorey, GGA-y, etc. and have tons of Pre-Code Horror Stories and some original ones too.

These books also offer tons of bang for the buck at current time.  Over the next decade I know that this will shift drastically.

They are definitely not for everyone, but everyone I know who has given them a chance got hooked.  You can see the type of books that I have in my current GA Sales thread "Bounty's Harvest of Horror" for an idea. (thumbsu

@DarkKnightReturns and @Knightsofold

Peter Panda is a great little run , ... only 30 some issues or so and i have seriously considered the run , there is the famous and hard to find #5 classic cover designation and actually at this time there is a beautiful mini run of high grade issues available on eBay for reasonable price , the only drawback is value as these are notorious slow sellers and and the series would have to be considered not only not even a DC second tier comic but more like 5th 6th tier comics lol 

but they are still a wonderful little run that could possibly be completed in five years or so ... maybe.....

and if you are like me you collect what you like and what you want !!

the challenge of a neat little run of GREAT funny covers that will take the thrill of the hunt with time and patience PETER PANDA is for YOU !!