• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get New Mutants 87 signed by Liefeld

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I am thinking of getting New Mutants 87 signed by Rob Liefeld. I believe he charges money to sign. Can anyone tell me if :

The cost of sig + cost of grading 

will be more or less then

added value to book. (Should grade at 9.0).

Example : book ungraded =$90

Book signed and graded =$110.

If $25 to sign+$20 to grade it would not be worth it. 

The details:

I'm going to a convention he is at, so no added cost for that.

I want to sell before New Mutants movie, so time should not be a factor (I can wait 3+ months for the book to come back.

I'm going to submit other books with this one, so shipping cost of this one book should be lower.

Thanks for reading.  

P.S. please don't start a Liefeld bashing, making fun, or venting of hate here. I'm sure there are plenty of other places on the internet for that.

At SDCC he was charging $80 to sign NM 87 or 98 and an extra $20 if it’s CGC witnessed for a total of $100 if you plan to slab it.   That doesn’t include costs of actually having it graded and slabbed.  Up to you if it’s worth that extra cost.  

You are going to be sorely disappointed of your idea is that you are going to make money ona Liefeld autograph. Yep a 100 bucks to get the book signed and 50 to get fast tracked and back to you to sell in a reasonable time. If you don’t fast track you could wait up to 6 months to get the book back

What drill423 said. What Liefeld charges is not commensurate with what his signed books sell for. In fact, in recent cases, signed copies have sold for LESS than unsigned copies:

Liefeld wants to cash in, but he's severely overvaluing his signature. Yes, granted, there are plenty of people paying it...for now. That won't last forever, because basic economics says it can't. There are only so many people who will pay $80 for his signature, when they can get something already signed on eBay, in the grade they want, for less than the cost of doing it themselves. The laws of economics are still laws.

new mutants 9 8 ss vs blue.jpg

I echo all of the points above, that Liefeld has really over-valued his signature, and don't think your book will go up by the cost of getting his signature (especially at a 9.0, which only goes for around $140-150 in blue label). Only additional thing I'd add is that if you're looking for a movie-bump in value for your NM87, I think you'd be better off thinking about it connected to the Deadpool 2 movie (which will heavily feature Cable played by Josh Brolin). The New Mutants movie will have nothing at all to do with Cable. 

Thanks everyone. I had no idea he changed so much for signing.  Also.... I meant Deadpool movie, not New Mutants. That was a good catch by CKinTO. I'm taking everyone's advise and NOT sign. Money may be better spent on a pressing (but I am not big on pressing because of the interduction of moisture in the process). I have never had a book pressed before, but I'm thinking about it.

You guys are THE best. 

Thanks to everyone who responded.

The first time I ever saw Liefeld at a show (2010?), most signatures were free, I think $5 after the first few, but he'd charge $20 for NM87 or NM 98.  That was the first time I ever heard a creator charging differently depending on what book was being signed.  Honestly, I liked the idea.  Rob was in a situation where he's got a wide body of work, but he can pinpoint without a shadow of a doubt his two most popular pieces from his career.  He was able to get a cut from the people who brought up stacks of NM98's with the intention to sell but his signature was still very accessible to his die-hard fans who brought their collections of Youngbloods or X-Force.  And in my opinion, $20 for this particular creator on these particular books seemed reasonable. 

I don't consider the current pricing reasonable, but maybe I'm wrong as I'm still seeing these books getting signed.  And charging an extra fee to fans who will slab their books will always be ridiculous. 

If OP is into SS slab books and wants to keep it for their collection then spend the extra money.  If OP is trying to make a profit I would think you would need to have 9.8 book to begin with. I don't se SS books moving very quickly. Seems to be a niche of a niche market.

11 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

If OP is into SS slab books and wants to keep it for their collection then spend the extra money.  If OP is trying to make a profit I would think you would need to have 9.8 book to begin with. I don't se SS books moving very quickly. Seems to be a niche of a niche market.

9.8 SS books of key issues or major titles don't have a problem selling.  But I will agree with what I think you're saying...a 9.0 SS copy of a book where 9.6 and up copies are plentiful will be a tough sell. 

On 10/20/2017 at 5:25 AM, Turtle said:

The first time I ever saw Liefeld at a show (2010?), most signatures were free, I think $5 after the first few, but he'd charge $20 for NM87 or NM 98.  That was the first time I ever heard a creator charging differently depending on what book was being signed.  Honestly, I liked the idea.  Rob was in a situation where he's got a wide body of work, but he can pinpoint without a shadow of a doubt his two most popular pieces from his career.  He was able to get a cut from the people who brought up stacks of NM98's with the intention to sell but his signature was still very accessible to his die-hard fans who brought their collections of Youngbloods or X-Force.  And in my opinion, $20 for this particular creator on these particular books seemed reasonable. 

I don't consider the current pricing reasonable, but maybe I'm wrong as I'm still seeing these books getting signed.  And charging an extra fee to fans who will slab their books will always be ridiculous. 

No matter what a creator charges, charging a "slab surcharge" will always be ridiculous and offensive. 

Charge whatever the market will bear. Charge $100,000 per sig, if you like. 

But taking on a penalty because of your perception is greedy and offensive.