• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM THOR #182 purchased as 9.4. hmmmm?

24 posts in this topic

thor182a.jpg

thor182abc.jpg

Adding one more back cover pic to show my discontent with the seller calling this a 9.4 and about 5 others that had the same.  He told he had seen many 9.4's that looked worse and this was absolutely a 9.4.  

I wanted to justify in my own grading that I was not in the wrong.  If you would like to know the Ebay seller just ask.   Thanks guys!!  

thor182bc.jpg

Edited by ROBTOTHEC
add pic

It's a nice book.  9.0-9.2.   9.4 is probably on the high side (esp with the color break on the FC top corner).   A press will fix that corner.  9.2 after pressing, but wouldn't be shocked if it hit 9.4.    

52 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

That's a nasty corner. The rest of the book looks nice but without a press I'd sell it as a 7.5. I'm probably in the minority here but I try to go by the book rather the mysterious CGC algorithm.

I'm curious. Not that I am a grading expert by any means, but other than the obviously damaged corner, what are you seeing that would drop this to a 7.5?

2 hours ago, Terrapin said:

That's a nasty corner. The rest of the book looks nice but without a press I'd sell it as a 7.5. I'm probably in the minority here but I try to go by the book rather the mysterious CGC algorithm.

I added a bc cover pic to hopefully show this better.  Looks like a nice corner ding to me.  

11 hours ago, smithdatura said:

I'd buy books that look like that all day if they're priced at 7.5 grade-levels.  The corner dings definitely drop below a 9.4 but I think you're at around 8.5 as it lays with an opportunity to press several grades higher.

+1

On 10/18/2017 at 11:46 AM, smithdatura said:

I'd buy books that look like that all day if they're priced at 7.5 grade-levels.  The corner dings definitely drop below a 9.4 but I think you're at around 8.5 as it lays with an opportunity to press several grades higher.

I guess my 7.5 books are a bargain.