• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TEC 27 THREAD.
1 1

69 posts in this topic

The 6.0?  Colors and paper are nice but I don't see the grade going up with those old tape stains on the back cover.   If you're referring to the 2.5, it has already been "improved."  Used to be a 1.5.  

Edited by Tsp99

5 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

The 6.0?  Colors and paper are nice but I don't see the grade going up with those old tape stains on the back cover.   If you're referring to the 2.5, it has already been "improved."  Used to be a 1.5.  

Looks like a blown bottom staple also. Nice eye appeal and PQ though. 

No complete copy of Tec 27 can be had now for less than 250k now. Raw, restored, whatever. Think I'm wrong? Find one for less. Not happening. Edit: I think a blue label 1.0 fetches 250k now, as does  a lower grade (say 3.0)extensively restored copy. New jumping on point for the book is 250k any way you slice it.

Edited by twmjr1

11 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

No complete copy of Tec 27 can be had now for less than 250k now. Raw, restored, whatever. Think I'm wrong? Find one for less. Not happening. Edit: I think a blue label 1.0 fetches 250k now, as does  a lower grade (say 3.0)extensively restored copy. New jumping on point for the book is 250k any way you slice it.

I don't see a low grade restored copy bringing quite that much. I would say $125-$175 depending how it looks. And page quality is another big factor. Brittle will always go for much less.

12 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

Extensive 4.5 = 250 K.

holy S-hit !

If you move into the proximity of this book, you gonna get your wallet raped.

This book is dangerous.

16 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

Last year 167,300.00

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-dc-1939-cbcs-restored-vg-45-extensive-amateur-off-white-pages/a/7124-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by woowoo

6 hours ago, woowoo said:

Did they use White Out (shout out to Mike Nesmith's mom) on that cover ?????  Looks horrible !

On 10/17/2017 at 8:43 AM, Tsp99 said:

If you're referring to the 2.5, it has already been "improved."  Used to be a 1.5.  

And would be again under the new CGC rules on tape. The front and back covers have been reattached with tape. These days CGC would grade it as if the tape wasn't there.

6 hours ago, AJD said:

And would be again under the new CGC rules on tape. The front and back covers have been reattached with tape. These days CGC would grade it as if the tape wasn't there.

I was under the impression that it was the exact opposite (shrug) 

49 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I was under the impression that it was the exact opposite (shrug) 

No - here's an extract from their 2013 press release (you can read the whole thing here):

Currently, CGC’s stance on tape allows for its presence to fix a detached cover, a tear or to re-attach a piece of the comic. This would still allow the book to receive a Universal Label and even a possible grade increase from what the book would have been had tape not been present.

After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.

In other words, that's not a 2.5 by the current rules.

12 hours ago, AJD said:

No - here's an extract from their 2013 press release (you can read the whole thing here):

Currently, CGC’s stance on tape allows for its presence to fix a detached cover, a tear or to re-attach a piece of the comic. This would still allow the book to receive a Universal Label and even a possible grade increase from what the book would have been had tape not been present.

After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.

Right.  I think the motivation for the rules change was to keep people from taping up GA books (especially keys) to increase the books' grades.  We were in the ironic situation that someone who used scotch tape on a book -- thereby damaging it -- could get a grade increase and remain in a blue label, while someone who used archival tape so as not to damage the book would be rewarded with a PLOD (although now, I guess, the book would end up in a Conserved slab).

18 hours ago, AJD said:

Thanks for posting that.  That was what I thought actually (I must have read part of thread incorrectly earlier) Sorry to make you go to the trouble of posting it but I appreciate the response

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

I was just going through the auction and was putting in tracking bids... I guess I'll have to watch that one the old-fashioned way!

Rob where you been :popcorn: coverless books are going to break the 100k club soon :gossip: your going to have to start a mill club :frustrated: