• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Santa Rosa Fire Devastation - No House, No Comics
4 4

62 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone.  I never thought I would be one of those people posting something like this but here I am.

As you have probably seen in the news - or experienced it firsthand - there are raging fires throughout the Northern California area.  One of the first areas hit was Napa and Santa Rosa.  I live in Santa Rosa.  Unfortunately, I was also in one of the areas that was completely devastated by the fires.  Me, my friends/neighbors, and entire neighborhoods are completely gone with nothing really but ashes left.  My house and two cars were totally destroyed; I had nothing but a change of clothes and some toiletries.  The fires still continue in many other NorCal areas, but we are all holding strong here.  The community has come together like nothing I've ever seen.  The heartfelt emotion and people helping people has restored some of my faith in humanity.

Regrettably, I've lost over 40 years of comics and related memorabilia.  I've saved, scrimped, spent countless dollars, Cons, eBay, bookstores, and whatever in my collecting habits since I was just a little kid.  I amassed a pretty good collection of around 12000 books in total, most in Mylar.  My collection ranged mostly from silver age through modern, many 1 of 1s, and such.  I've traveled the world and lived many places, but kept my books in top shape, shlepping them all over the world from pre-teen to adult.  And now they're all gone in one night.  My insurance, while great (State Farm), unfortunately did not contain a rider for my books so I'm not going to be compensated for them.  I should have known better.

My family is completely safe and sound, although we are still seeking "permanent" housing while going through the rebuild process which may take a few years.  With over a thousand families displaced and a nearly zero supply, it is a madhouse trying to find a place.  I am hopeful and remain in good spirits, though.  The #1 issue has been addressed: my family is safe and sound; all other questions are really irrelevant.  But I am bummed to say the least about my comic situation.

I've enclosed a few pics of my specific situation.  I was able to get into my area 2 days after the fire (it was still hot in some parts of the house) with the help of a Sheriff friend of mine.   I'm coming to terms with losing my lifelong collection, and thought I would commiserate with those who understand the hobby.  In a couple of images, you can see a large white mound; that is all that remains of all those thousands of books (which were in interlocked, stacked, long boxes).

22308892_10214633809224736_2979585856354002981_n.jpg

22310209_10214633808904728_122100050194999115_n.jpg

22310678_10214633808664722_6496226871459384592_n.jpg

22365342_10214633809464742_4082483480442382806_n.jpg

22366731_10214633809864752_1430657446682761363_n.jpg

Utter destruction and devastation. I am glad you and your family are safe. What you are and will go through are hard for most of us to imagine. I hope you receive some positive news soon as far as housing, etc. 

I just read this to my wife, and we were both tearing up at your story. My wife is from LA, but we met and lived in the Bay Area for many years. So sad to hear this, and as a fellow comic book enthusiasts, I can really empathize with how tough it must be - especially given you've brought your collection with you across many cities and kept them in tip-top shape, only to lose them in a tragedy like this. 

Kudos to you for keeping things in perspective, that as long as family is safe, that's what matters most. And I guess it's a "blessing" that family is ok, so that you have time to lament the loss of your collection. But I know that's gotta be cold comfort... Definitely wish you and your family all the best in trying to find a new home and move forward with your lives. And really hope insurance treats you and others affected by this fairly. 

I had 2 posts to write but the 2nd got added first.,by mistake..Glad to see you are alright but don't know how you are dealing with it.Hope your insurance covers your house but your comics gone is probably driving you crazy ..id like to help out and the next post I make is the only way I can except my prayers brother.

Edited by comicsyte95

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

This place is awesome..... and so is Woowoo and Comicsyte95.  I'm very happy that you and your family are safe while also feeling horrible about your losses.  I too will be more than happy to contribute some gems to your new collection.  When you are settled---hopefully soon---please feel free to PM me.

I think I can confidently say that all of us on these Boards are having good thoughts for all of you so tragically affected by this disaster.  

(thumbsu

The important thing is that you and your family are safe.  Let me know what you collect, PM me a shipping address, and I'll be happy to send some books your way in the generous tradition of comicsyte95 , woowoo and Mapleleafvann.

I've schlepped my collection across the country for over 25 years, nearly coast-to-coast and a few spots in-between (the places I've been overseas weren't the kinda places that you'd bring any comics).  I'm lucky that I did not have them with me when Hurricane Hugo passed right over our heads with some of it's highest-recorded winds.  I can only imagine what it would feel like to go thru what you are experiencing.  Good luck to you, your family and your neighbors.

I'm so happy that your family is safe, thank God for the things you do have.

Comics are just paper that can be replaced, and once you rebuild  you can start all over again. Might be fun to rediscover the books you need again.

Terrible to see so much destructive by wildfires! My mother told me she heard news of one couple who jumped into their neighbor's swimming pool to escape the fires surrounding their house. They stayed under the water while bobbing up for sucking air, lasting over 6 hours or more. They survived but had lost their house and all over the blocks - everything gone! 

Glad your family is ok. That is the most important part to you. Comics can be replaced however, I do understand the meaning of your collection throughout the decades gathered. It is the memories on themselves what is to you.