• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail original art: Starlin 1974 Captain Marvel/Thanos, Sienkiewicz Moon Knight 1982 and Buckler Deathlok 1970's
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I just posted some outstanding specimens from my collection.

1) A two-page Moon Knight sequence from Moon Knight #18, 1982, with Bill Sienkiewicz art from his prime period of Neal Adams imitation.

2) Two pages from Rich Buckler's Deathlok.  One is original Deathlok art by Rich Buckler and Klaus Janson from Astonishing Tales #35.  The other is the very first page of Deathlok art, the published splash for Astonishing Tales #25.  The page from #25 is the published art, but is all photostat.

MyComicArt.com's eBay auctions

These are two of my grails that I've decided to part with.  Are they your grails too?  Let's talk special boardie pricing. :)

MoonKnight.jpg

Deathlok_1.jpg

Deathlok_2.jpg

Edited by SOTIcollector
Updated topic name

2 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

I just posted some outstanding specimens from my collection.

1) A two-page Moon Knight sequence from Moon Knight #18, 1982, with Bill Sienkiewicz art from his prime period of Neal Adams imitation.

2) Two pages from Rich Buckler's Deathlok.  One is original Deathlok art by Rich Buckler and Klaus Janson from Astonishing Tales #35.  The other is the very first page of Deathlok art, the published splash for Astonishing Tales #25.  The page from #25 is the published art, but is all photostat.

MyComicArt.com's eBay auctions

These are two of my grails that I've decided to part with.  Are they your grails too?  Let's talk special boardie pricing. :)

MoonKnight.jpg

Deathlok_1.jpg

Deathlok_2.jpg

The original art for the AT #25 Splash must have been destroyed or damaged before publication. That's pretty sweet to own, even if it is a Stat.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 10/16/2017 at 2:44 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

The original art for the AT #25 Splash must have been destroyed or damaged before publication. That's pretty sweet to own, even if it is a Stat.

Thanks.  I agree it's still an awesomely cool piece.

I've also seen stat pages like this created when the art comes from different sources with different sizes.   For example, it could be that the original was created with a larger Deathlok, but then an editorial decision was made to shrink the Deathlok image, add the text below him and add the inset panels.  So photostats could have been a way to do that.

Another one posted tonight.  A phenomenal grail piece for Avengers and Thanos fans: Captain Marvel #29 page 14, by Jim Starlin, and featuring a very large THANOS image!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Jim-Starlin-Captain-Marvel-original-art-with-THANOS-Your-grail-is-here/222686415949