• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Astonishing tales #25 Title Splash on eBay

12 posts in this topic

Second ever appearance of Deathlok.

Except....the image is 100% Stat. It's the key original published interior page, from a key bronze age book. But, it's a stat. How much do you think that matters? The page is certainly priced to sell (with a companion OA page from AT #35). But, what do you all think?

Edited by PhilipB2k17

The seller is being totally up-front with the listing, so nothing misleading for would-be buyers.  Would probably work well matted and framed as a pair and if you're a fan of Deathlock, this seems like a good offering (no idea about FMV as I don't follow this type of thing).

18 hours ago, MagnusX said:

The seller is honest an open about the page;
He set a price,
so I don't see a problem with this particular listing...

I didn't mean to imply that the seller was anything bit 100% honest about it being a Stat. I was just wondering what people thought about its value, considering that it's the second published appearance of Deathlok (after the Cover). Does the fact that it's apparently 100% a Stat matter to you? If so, how much does it effect its desirability?

I'm a huge Deathlok fan and if it wasn't a stat, I'd figure out a way to afford it if the original art were for sale (I'd assume it'll sell for $10-12k).  Being a stat, I have no interest in it unfortunately.  Not much Deathlok out  there for whatever reason and many of the covers are unaccounted for as well.

8 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

I'm a huge Deathlok fan and if it wasn't a stat, I'd figure out a way to afford it if the original art were for sale (I'd assume it'll sell for $10-12k).  Being a stat, I have no interest in it unfortunately.  Not much Deathlok out  there for whatever reason and many of the covers are unaccounted for as well.

I have a nice deathlok page that I picked up. From the 1990 mini series. 

BB39D69C-7C03-43BD-8A80-3191BC74B293.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

Most here are original art collectors. That splash isn't original art, it's a stat. Apples and oranges. It should matter to 100% everybody (unless you're a multimillionaire and have money you want to burn) as there would be a huge difference in price and desirability for a stat as opposed to original art (the art would be the more desirable one).

Well, in this case that’s the actual published page. The “original” must be gone. Otherwise they wouldn’t have used a Stat at the time. 

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

I have a nice deathlok page that I picked up. From the 1990 mini series. 

BB39D69C-7C03-43BD-8A80-3191BC74B293.jpeg

Thanks, but not for me.  I'm a fan of the original appearances in Astonishing Tales, the Zeck/Beatty issues from Cap #286-288, and the Michael Golden Marvel Fanfare #4 story.  The only piece I loved from that mini-series was the Jusko cover to issue #1, although the Guice/Williams art from issue #1 of the mini-series was pretty slick.  The Cowan stuff did nothing for me unfortunately.  But agree, for people that are fans of his art, that's a nice example from the mini-series. 

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, in this case that’s the actual published page. The “original” must be gone. Otherwise they wouldn’t have used a Stat at the time. 

I'm guessing that the main image of Deathlok exists and they pasted in the panel shots before they statted the page.  They likely adjusted the size of the Deathlok image to make it fit the way they wanted.  Otherwise, they would have just pasted the panels over the original art.

4 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

Thanks, but not for me.  I'm a fan of the original appearances in Astonishing Tales, the Zeck/Beatty issues from Cap #286-288, and the Michael Golden Marvel Fanfare #4 story.  The only piece I loved from that mini-series was the Jusko cover to issue #1, although the Guice/Williams art from issue #1 of the mini-series was pretty slick.  The Cowan stuff did nothing for me unfortunately.  But agree, for people that are fans of his art, that's a nice example from the mini-series. 

Hey not a problem. I told Gene in another thread that I wasn’t a fan of the McFarlane cover to ASM #299 (that he owns). That’s pretty much heresy on these boards. But I’m not much of a Mcfarlane fan. And that cover doesn’t appeal to me. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17