• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For P. Craig Russell fans

6 posts in this topic

P. Craig Russell is one of my favorite artists but his best work is hard to find for sale. Recently I have added 4 of his best (in my opinion) pieces of art to my collection so I wanted to share them with a larger audience.

First off is an unexpected treasure:

The "brother" to the 1986 Marvel Press Poster #5 "Scarlet Witch." See Eric DLS's gallery.

This monster is 20" x 32" on a larger 22" x 34" art board.

P. Craig Russell said about this: "After drawing the Scarlet Witch poster for Marvel in 1986, I pencilled this Silver Surfer drawing in 1987 as another projected poster. I never finished it and it sat in the bottom of a drawer for 26 years. Having finished my Graveyard Book story (and wondering if I’m going to have to step in and draw another one of the stories while waiting to see if one of the artists is going to drop out), I found myself “on hold.” Thought of this drawing and decided to ink it. I also thought that I could just sit down and start inking, but found it needed some reworking, so I’m into day three. It’s 20″x32″ and hangs over the top of my drawing board." 

PCRsurferposter.thumb.jpg.03a6c18ae667eb1308f1299603866b51.jpg

I am a big fan of his "rare" work on Doctor Strange and have been able to add the following:

This has been one of my collecting goals for a very long time, a page from PCR's Doctor Strange Annual. As he tells it "...in the Spring of '73, purely for my own enjoyment, I began work on a Dr. Strange story." It was reworked and published in 1976 as Doctor Strange Annual #1. This page was recently reproduced in the back of the 2017 collection of PCR's work :Doctor Strange: What is it That Disturbs You Stephen?

DrSAnnual1p26clean.thumb.jpg.75f67871eda10baf9e871fdbe1c913f4.jpg

A beautiful splash by P. Craig Russell in Marvel Premiere 7. This is probably his first work on Dr. Strange.MarvelPremiere7p1.thumb.jpg.ec91bbaf3cf11b88df3aa3f9d5698e9d.jpg

P. Craig Russell was also a very good inker.  This is his inking over Carmine Infantino's pencils on Marvel fanfare 8. I think PCR really liked this page as he asked for it to be mailed to him and he signed it twice!

MarvelFanfare8p1clean.thumb.jpg.5ddefefbda2b1ced8e4ae6b376f81de1.jpg

The Book of Strange CAF gallery:  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3023

Beautiful pieces John, keep it up! I myself considered that Surfer piece when I saw it for sale last week or so. And although I owned that last piece once upon a time as well I have long since ceded hope to the title of Master of the Mystic Artists to which you so deservedly may lay claim.

22 hours ago, BookofStrange said:

P. Craig Russell is one of my favorite artists but his best work is hard to find for sale. Recently I have added 4 of his best (in my opinion) pieces of art to my collection so I wanted to share them with a larger audience.

Well, if you are looking for more of his work, I have some pages he inked for the issues #1 and 2 of the 1988 Cloak and Dagger series. Stop by my art gallery and check them out. I'm sure I could work you out a nice deal.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=P.+Craig+Russell&GCat=3287

Very nice stuff. I just got my second commission piece from Craig via one of his indiegogo/Kickstarter deals and I am very pleased indeed. I too looked at both the Surfer piece and that Dr. Strange splash, but decided I am already plenty deep in Craig's work at this point. Though I have some vintage work, I sold my very favorite cover (from Marvel Fanfare)  long ago to get a Spirit page (and a hand colored Russell piece that is featured on the back cover of his new Jungle book AE) but it still stings a little as I  think it was one of his signature works from the 80's. Craig is one of those guys who is still doing really amazing work today even though he has been active since the 70's and I am always excited to see what will come next.