• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Calgary Comic Expo (Fan Expo Calgary?) April 26-29, 2018
5 5

562 posts in this topic

This is the announcement thread for the Calgary Comic Expo in 2018.  The dates are April 26-29, 2018.  

I will be set up with my standard 2 booths, same location, right beside/behind @500Club, @kimik, @Artboy99, and @thehumantorch.  I'm hoping that my buddy @aardvark88will set up again, too.   This is always a great show, and by far, my favourite show to set up at and to attend, every single year.  On top of the high attendance, the strong sales, and the decent guests, the great group of boardies that come to Calgary, make this easily the single best "must attend" show.  

In the title of this thread, you can see I wrote (Fan Expo Canada). Well, the news announced today says that the Calgary Expo and Fan Expo (Informa) have joined forces.  Only time will tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  I, myself, liked the way the Calgary Expo was run.  Other than the unnecessarily strict demands of the staff running around citing Fire Marshal this and Fire Marshal that, the show was excellent the way it was.  This joining of the two teams hopefully brings more big name comic and celebrity guests to the show, and my fingers are crossed that this doesn't lead to booth cost hikes for 2019. :wishluck: 

I'll keep adding to this thread with updates on guests announced and news. 

@Kevin Boyd, if you know any details or if you're the guy who's supposed to post the updates as they come, feel free. (thumbsu 

VERY interesting that Calgary expo has joined the umbrella of Fan Expo shows. Better read the fine print of the summer online contract to make sure that prepaid vendors are still getting the 10' x 10' booths for April, 2018. Started out this way for Vancouver Fan Expo then year 2 booth became 10' across x 8' deep, then year 3 booth shrank to 8' x 8' which is the standard for the gigantic Fan expo Canada (Toronto) show.  :wishluck:

So I don't have much to add, as this is a new development, and I know very little. From what I do know, a lot of things are still being worked out  but it's still going to be very much business as usual for now.

Comic pro guest booking will fall on my team to handle, with feedback, and I'll share any guest news with the group here as I do with our other affiliated events. We have some big things in the works for next year's big shows, and Calgary is definitely a big one.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Good point, Alan. I will contact Ken and Mary-Ann to see if this will cause any issues for us. If being partnered with the Fan Expo fold means reduced space then hopefully the booth costs are reduced accordingly. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

2 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

So I don't have much to add, as this is a new development, and I know very little. From what I do know, a lot of things are still being worked out  but it's still going to be very much business as usual for now.

Comic pro guest booking will fall on my team to handle, with feedback, and I'll share any guest news with the group here as I do with our other affiliated events. We have some big things in the works for next year's big shows, of which Calgary is definitely one.

I hope that having you involved in booking the guests will mean bigger comic creator and media guests for Edmonton as well. This year was good, but some of the past ones have been hit and miss with the guests due to the timing.

12 hours ago, kimik said:

Adam Hughes would be another name that fans in both Edmonton and Calgary would want to see.

He was just in Toronto at the Fan Expo Canada and he was really gracious.  The fans love him and he gave back with free signatures and $10 head sketches on the spot. :applause: 

Finger's crossed that Kevin and his team can make this happen.  With no guests announced so far it is Go Time! :headbang: 

On 2017-10-16 at 7:34 PM, thirdgreenham said:

In the title of this thread, you can see I wrote (Fan Expo Canada). Well, the news announced today says that the Calgary Expo and Fan Expo (Informa) have joined forces.

Another question is ... will the ticket prices go up if they join together in forces?

Just now, kimik said:

15 hours ago, kimik said:

Adam Hughes would be another name that fans in both Edmonton and Calgary would want to see.

He was just in Toronto at the Fan Expo Canada and he was really gracious.  The fans love him and he gave back with free signatures and $10 head sketches on the spot. :applause: 

Finger's crossed that Kevin and his team can make this happen.  With no guests announced so far it is Go Time! :headbang: 

Fans out here would prefer full bust sketches...... lol 

would love to see another joe Quesada sketch opportunity!

also bring in some Canadians - finch, fabok, keown and manapul. 

outside of them, risso, Sienkiewicz, Kirkham, Kelley jones, platt, bachalo, jim lee, sean murphy, art adams, Bermejo, jock, mattina, dellotto.

22 hours ago, kimik said:

23 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Another question is ... will the ticket prices go up if they join together in forces?

As long as exhibitor rates stay the same all is fine.:baiting::sumo:

lol 

7 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

would love to see another joe Quesada sketch opportunity!

also bring in some Canadians - finch, fabok, keown and manapul. 

outside of them, risso, Sienkiewicz, Kirkham, Kelley jones, platt, bachalo, jim lee, sean murphy, art adams, Bermejo, jock, mattina, dellotto.

Might as well get Alan Moore and Steve Ditko, too. :shy: 

22 hours ago, kimik said:

As long as exhibitor rates stay the same all is fine.:baiting::sumo:

Hopefully, year one with Informa, they will keep Calgary vendor booth rates the same. The trend from Vancouver Fan Expo is year 2, booth shrank by 20% and rate went up at least 10%. Year 3, booth shrank another 20% and rate went up at least 10% based on their goal of increasing attendance a minimum of 10%/year every year due to stronger media or comics guest lists and diverse variety of vendors locally and from other provinces. :wishluck: