• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price History of Amazing Fantasy 15
4 4

84 posts in this topic

Does anyone have data on the price history of Amazing Fantasy 15 or Amazing Spider-man 1? I'm interested in purchasing it but I'm a little worried the price is escalating quickly which may mean I should act now or wait for a correction in prices. If anyone has info on this it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise if anyone has any tips on acquiring said info that would work too. I guess I can purchase an Overstreet price guide for the last 10 years on eBay but that's kind of pricey. 

All of the big Silver age keys have had big run ups in price the past five years. Including AF 15, which has done better than most. 

I think it very, very unlikely we will see a "correction" or drop in the price of AF 15.  A period of time where the price doesn't increase is possible, but IMHO unlikely. 

In 2011, the average sales price of a CGC graded AF 15 was about $7500-$8000. Now it's $26,000.  AF 15 has become the book every serious collector must have. Truly the Action 1/Detective 27 of the Silver age. 

As far as advice on acquiring one, I have two general areas of advice: 

1) Buy a copy at auction, unless you can negotiate a fair price with say a local seller or comic book store. Everyone's BIN now prices are overly optimistic. They want next year - or two years from now - prices.  A no reserve auction will most likely represent CURRENT market value. 
2) A common phenomenon with key books is that the lower grade price spreads become very compressed. People on a budget are just buying based on what they can afford. So in the case of AF 15, there isn't all that  much price difference between .5 and 2.0 and there isn't much price difference between 2.5 and 3.5. You might as well save up your money and look for a 3.5, since a 2.5 will end up costing you almost the same amount of $$ 

Welcome to the boards...

Edited by Tony S

The book's been on fire and though Spiderman's always been my favorite and I have 2-441 run I'll keep my hands well away from fire and directed the amount I would have spent on what I regard as a "sanely" priced copy into some other area - I happen to pick golden age stuff and never looked back.  But good luck in your efforts, there are a couple listed on the board every week or two lately.

From my small corner of the once and possibly future Amazing Spider-Man 1 owner's club, I picked up a blue label 3.5 in early 2013.  I actually didn't plan on keeping it but couldn't even get an offer over $3000 at the time.  I had it signed by Stan and let it sit for a while as an SS 3.5.  I finally turned it loose and it sold on ComicLink a few months ago for $6600.

20 hours ago, blue_hero_8 said:

Does anyone have data on the price history of Amazing Fantasy 15 or Amazing Spider-man 1? I'm interested in purchasing it but I'm a little worried the price is escalating quickly which may mean I should act now or wait for a correction in prices. If anyone has info on this it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise if anyone has any tips on acquiring said info that would work too. I guess I can purchase an Overstreet price guide for the last 10 years on eBay but that's kind of pricey. 

You may want to try this site: http://comics.gpanalysis.com

Also useful (and free with site registration) are the archives at ha.com. 

13 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Thank God I bought my mid grade AF 15 back in 1980 for 500.00. No its not for sale.....:whistle:

I just saw a HG one for $10 in the GA/SA/BA sales forum.

Prices via Overstreet 9.2 up to 2016   

AF15

6 minutes ago, WEBHEAD said:

Prices via Overstreet 9.2 up to 2016   

AF15

If this was the guide value back in 1970 when the first price guide came out, then it must have been too high as the guide was often referred to as the Overprice guide since it was claimed that nobody would ever pay this kind of money for the books.  lol  :takeit:

On 10/17/2017 at 4:42 PM, Sqeggs said:

You may want to try this site: http://comics.gpanalysis.com

Also useful (and free with site registration) are the archives at ha.com. 

if you're mainly interested in prices for AF15, then save your money and don't bother with GPA. they don't have any results from important private sales over the last year, nor do they have comiclink auction results, which are also significantly higher over the last year. in fact, GPA for this book in most grades is off by 50-100%. 

and add comliclink to your places to search, along with comicconnect, heritage, and ebay