• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wonder where my 50 copies of Dazzler #1 ended up?
2 2

25 posts in this topic

Worked in a comic store as a kid. Got paid in store credit. Got caught up in the hype of Dazzler #1 and bought 50 copies. 

Wonder where they are today. Sold them to a comic shop outside of Raleigh, NC sometime ago

You may never know where your 50 copies ended up... :blush:

I have always thought Dazzler a  historic comic. Lots of cool stuff surrounding it. 

Marvel's first direct distribution comic --- sold only to comic shops, not sent out for normal retail distribution. 

Dazzler was  a collaborative effort between Marvel, Casablanca records and Filmworks. The idea was that Marvel would develop the comic book character, Casablanca Records would find a singer and Filmworks would make a movie.  Bo Derek was who Filmworks hoped to cast in the movie.  Knowing that, the resemblance is obvious. 

Casablanca pulled out and the deal collapsed. Marvel had already introduced the character in the X-Men. Fan reception was positive and Marvel moved on with the solo series.  Jim Shooter had written a movie -script and this was turned into "Dazzler the Movie" Graphic novel. 

Someday Dazzler will appear in the X-Men movies.  You'll wish you had your 50 copies back 

55 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Worked in a comic store as a kid. Got paid in store credit. Got caught up in the hype of Dazzler #1 and bought 50 copies. 

Wonder where they are today. Sold them to a comic shop outside of Raleigh, NC sometime ago

Someone is bored again.

Here's the one mediocre copy I have left, at this point in collecting I had just started college and stopped reading but still bought my titles and a few #1s like a dutiful marvel drone.  The painted cover is cool, and apparently there's an error version with a couple of page printed in B&W.  You could probably assemble a pack of 50 high grades for less than a couple of benjamins if you had lots of time and resources to back you up.

CCI10162017.jpg

6 hours ago, Tony S said:

You may never know where your 50 copies ended up... :blush:

I have always thought Dazzler a  historic comic. Lots of cool stuff surrounding it. 

Marvel's first direct distribution comic --- sold only to comic shops, not sent out for normal retail distribution. 

Dazzler was  a collaborative effort between Marvel, Casablanca records and Filmworks. The idea was that Marvel would develop the comic book character, Casablanca Records would find a singer and Filmworks would make a movie.  Bo Derek was who Filmworks hoped to cast in the movie.  Knowing that, the resemblance is obvious. 

Casablanca pulled out and the deal collapsed. Marvel had already introduced the character in the X-Men. Fan reception was positive and Marvel moved on with the solo series.  Jim Shooter had written a movie --script and this was turned into "Dazzler the Movie" Graphic novel. 

Someday Dazzler will appear in the X-Men movies.  You'll wish you had your 50 copies back 

there's comics i wish i had back. dazzler ain't one of 'em

8 hours ago, NoMan said:

Did you keep one?

I still have all 200 copies I bought way back when. Got caught up in the hype as well. But, I learned from my experience and didn't buy any Turok #1's when they came out.:smile:

Been waiting for a movie appearance ever since.

3 hours ago, ninanina said:

I still have all 200 copies I bought way back when. Got caught up in the hype as well. But, I learned from my experience and didn't buy any Turok #1's when they came out.:smile:

Yeah, we probably all got caught up in that early 90's hype with the red hot Valiant books.  :censored:

Although I normally only picked up one copy for each of the early Valiant books prior to that horrid Deathmate debacle when I jumped off, I still remember picking up duplicate copies of the first few issues for each title.  And to top it off, I really must have drank too much of the Valiant kool-aid as I remember running around to a few of the local comic shops just in order to cherry pick a handful of the much highly hyped, but plentiful Magus 12's and Solar 10's right off the shelves as they were coming out.  doh!

Thanks goodness I didn't fall for much of the Image hype as the only ones I picked up was a copy of Spawn 1 and the Cerebus related issues from Spawn 8 to 10.  :)

On October 19, 2017 at 11:53 PM, ninanina said:

Been waiting for a movie appearance ever since.

Did you buy them at Comics America for 5x their value?