• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age 1st appearance and key issue database
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Hi Copper Age Collectors

It took me 1.5 years to build the largest mobile database of key issues and Im giving it away for free on the iTunes Store and Google Play. Search “Key Collector Comics”   

You can view over 7,000 key issues with price guidance, catalog what you own and build a wish list of what you want.  No ads. No freemiums.  No profit.  

I can confidently say I have a majority of Copper Age keys logged including 1st appearances and early appearances, classic stories and iconic covers  

Check it out and let me know what you think. Have fun and Thanks! -Nick

Free download on iTunes or Google Play or access links to download the app at keycollectorcomics.com

8EDBEC48-6FC0-4990-8237-3107BB8CBC5F.png

Edited by Key Collector Comics
Mispelling

Great. Now all the people who know absolutely nothing can cherry pick all the good stuff at flea markets, second hand sellers, etc. Same as the the people that Amazon app and scan every video game, DVD, etc to see if they’re worth anything.

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

On 10/17/2017 at 9:11 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Great. Now all the people who know absolutely nothing can cherry pick all the good stuff at flea markets, second hand sellers, etc. Same as the the people that Amazon app and scan every video game, DVD, etc to see if they’re worth anything.

Congratulations on posting the first negative comment out of well over a thousand positive comments   You get the “turd in the punch bowl” award   Haha  

Regardless. Good to hear all opinions and critiques. But you own a comic shop right? Or work at one? Wouldn’t  you consider it beneficial to your business to embrace new collectors by providing them a means to identify which books they want to buy from you? I’m sorry if this lessens your success in cherry picking the books for yourself. Pretty cool though that you have flea markets that actually have decent books. 

On 10/17/2017 at 9:11 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

There's a bunch of those guys anyway, regardless of this app.

14 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Congratulations on posting the first negative comment out of well over a thousand positive comments   You get the “turd in the punch bowl” award   Haha  

Regardless. Good to hear all opinions and critiques. But you own a comic shop right? Or work at one? Wouldn’t  you consider it beneficial to your business to embrace new collectors by providing them a means to identify which books they want to buy from you? I’m sorry if this lessens your success in cherry picking the books for yourself. Pretty cool though that you have flea markets that actually have decent books. 

I don't own a shop, just a weekend warrior who probably does 20 shows a year. Don't get me wrong, it's a great resource that I wish I had when I bought a 14k book orignal owner collection from 1962-87 a few years ago as I know I missed some good books and they went to my $1/$3 boxes. It just levels the playing field for people who I don't think necessarily deserve it to be evened for. I've spent the last 30 years gaining this knowledge and now it has the potenetial to be in every yahoo's hand in the world!  

On 19/10/2017 at 12:34 AM, Key Collector Comics said:

Wouldn’t  you consider it beneficial to your business to embrace new collectors by providing them a means to identify which books they want to buy from you?

Are you serious?  A retailer doesn't have to help sell keys, they sell themselves.  It's the run filler and non keys that you have to work to sell.

I don't mind the app, inexperienced cherrypickers used to walk around with wizard magazine with highlighter across all the keys, and so it has always been.  This is another tool for those who want everything, and know nothing.  We get it. Stop spamming the boards with this, please.

16 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I don't own a shop, just a weekend warrior who probably does 20 shows a year. Don't get me wrong, it's a great resource that I wish I had when I bought a 14k book orignal owner collection from 1962-87 a few years ago as I know I missed some good books and they went to my $1/$3 boxes. It just levels the playing field for people who I don't think necessarily deserve it to be evened for. I've spent the last 30 years gaining this knowledge and now it has the potenetial to be in every yahoo's hand in the world!  

I understand where you’re coming from. Honestly I’d feel the same way. But it eventually had to be done and I think it’ll be helpful to embrace new collectors who love the movies but might be overwhelmed by the complicated nuances of collecting. Plus there are a lot of books that are low level keys that would sit in retailer bins for years but (hopefully) now they have a chance to move more inventory.  I can tell you for a fact I’ve gotten multiple emails praising the app for something that would’ve gone overlooked (stuff you or I probably wouldn’t be interested in - good beginner books). Another good thing is people are finding things in their collection they didn’t even know they had like avengers 196 which could’ve sat in a closet forever but now has the chance to circulate.  Sincerely Im hoping you experience more if the benefits than the drawbacks from this.  I apologize I got defensive for a minute but I’ve spent every free second of my life outside of work making this a reality at a lot of costs both personal and financial.  With that being said, sorry I snapped at you.  Good luck with the upcoming weekend and all of the ones thereafter.  -Nick

2 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Are you serious?  A retailer doesn't have to help sell keys, they sell themselves.  It's the run filler and non keys that you have to work to sell.

I don't mind the app, inexperienced cherrypickers used to walk around with wizard magazine with highlighter across all the keys, and so it has always been.  This is another tool for those who want everything, and know nothing.  We get it. Stop spamming the boards with this, please.

I stopped. Sorry if it was too much.  There are a lot of minor keys you and I would consider non-keys. $1 books that beginner collectors are excited about.  Also issues listed that are so obscure many might not know they existed.  If it weren’t for the research I put into the app I wouldn’t have come across a recalled action comics 869 in a dollar bin. I know a book like that isn’t much to someone with the handle “fine collector” but I was thrilled. You’re right though.  Keys, wall books sell themselves.  But I believe a significant value is in the other thousands of entries of minor keys that make up the database. Plus it gets new collectors involved where they might walk away overwhelmed by the number of fragmented resources (and incorrect information) that exist prior to the app. Again I apologize for the spamming.  

Interesting app.

Where do you get your price guidance data from? Is it updated every so often?

And to the haters who don't like cherry -pickers at flea-markets using anything but their graying/fading memory ability, there's always online resources available whether it's skimming MCS, Ebay or even the "Coppers Heating Up On Ebay" thread right here on this board.

I know of a guy who brings a huge 4-inch thick binder of his own home-made "catalogue" of books/mags to big dollar-book blowout sales and such.

Edited by jcjames

I think having customers find a gem digging through $1-3 boxes is good for business. It gets people to spend money and visit your shop or booth or whatever knowing there is a chance they will find a winner. If you cherry pick out everything and price them high, you'll probably lose the interest of your customers. I know many dealers and even myself when I was one, who put some semi valuable items mixed in the cheaper priced stuff just to peak the interest of buyers. As for 1st appearances, there are tons and tons of 1st appearances that mean absolutely nothing. That is until the character shows up in a show or movie. You can't keep everything. Plus if you bought 14k books, I'm sure you made a ton of money overall even if you didn't get to pick out some of the more valuable stuff and left them in the $1-3 boxes.

19 hours ago, Philflound said:

I think having customers find a gem digging through $1-3 boxes is good for business.

You lace the dollar boxes with better stuff in the hopes of promoting good will with your customers, and selling a stack of material.  If a customer uses the app and picks only the stuff you put in as sweetener,  that one buyer benefits, everyone else thinks your bins are lame, and you're worse off than you were before.

On 10/22/2017 at 11:06 AM, jcjames said:

Interesting app.

Where do you get your price guidance data from? Is it updated every so often?

And to the haters who don't like cherry -pickers at flea-markets using anything but their graying/fading memory ability, there's always online resources available whether it's skimming MCS, Ebay or even the "Coppers Heating Up On Ebay" thread right here on this board.

I know of a guy who brings a huge 4-inch thick binder of his own home-made "catalogue" of books/mags to big dollar-book blowout sales and such.

Sorry I missed answering this earlier in the week. Yeah I’ve seen guys walking around with those binders or torn out loose leaf pieces of paper.  Good point about the skimming.  It really got to a point for me where I was starting to not enjoy the constant research and rechecking.  I’m sure you can relate. 

Pricing is averaged from 6 months of eBay sales.  3 months accrued while building the database pricing values and then again before launching to be certain I was in range. It’s a manual process so it’s not perfect.  Updates occur when an announcement in movies or record sales augment that value but we’re developing an automated system to get more real market value data with the most recent sales of raw issues.   We’ll also add graded book sales within the coming weeks or possibly a couple months. 

On 10/24/2017 at 1:47 PM, FineCollector said:

You lace the dollar boxes with better stuff in the hopes of promoting good will with your customers, and selling a stack of material.  If a customer uses the app and picks only the stuff you put in as sweetener,  that one buyer benefits, everyone else thinks your bins are lame, and you're worse off than you were before.

Thanks for your input again. Most negative guy.