• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age 1st appearance and key issue database
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2017 at 1:47 PM, FineCollector said:

You lace the dollar boxes with better stuff in the hopes of promoting good will with your customers, and selling a stack of material.  If a customer uses the app and picks only the stuff you put in as sweetener,  that one buyer benefits, everyone else thinks your bins are lame, and you're worse off than you were before.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:50 AM, jcjames said:

Again, Where do you get your price guidance data from? How often is it updated?

Sorry I missed your post. I replied earlier in the post that the values are averaged over a 6 month span broken down in 3 month increments, once when I was building the price structures earlier in the year and again when I proofed the whole of the database. 

Thanks for asking and again I apologize for the delay.  You can email me anytime at nick@keycollectorcomics.com.  You’ll receive a more immediate response as I don’t have alerts set up to hit my main email from the boards.  Hope you’re enjoying he app. 

-Nick

On 10/23/2017 at 6:33 PM, Philflound said:

I think having customers find a gem digging through $1-3 boxes is good for business. It gets people to spend money and visit your shop or booth or whatever knowing there is a chance they will find a winner. If you cherry pick out everything and price them high, you'll probably lose the interest of your customers. I know many dealers and even myself when I was one, who put some semi valuable items mixed in the cheaper priced stuff just to peak the interest of buyers. As for 1st appearances, there are tons and tons of 1st appearances that mean absolutely nothing. That is until the character shows up in a show or movie. You can't keep everything. Plus if you bought 14k books, I'm sure you made a ton of money overall even if you didn't get to pick out some of the more valuable stuff and left them in the $1-3 boxes.

Can I use this post when referencing criticisms to this issue? And yes, a lot of app users have said they bought keys they wouldn’t have purchased had it not carried a low level first app.  It’s fun! Like a scavenger hunt. Who cares about the money.  It’s still a finite printing. 

1 hour ago, Key Collector Comics said:

And yes, a lot of app users have said they bought keys they wouldn’t have purchased had it not carried a low level first app.  It’s fun! Like a scavenger hunt. Who cares about the money.  It’s still a finite printing. 

It's all about the money.  If you know and like the character, you know where their first appearance is already.  Buying a key because it's a key isn't fun, it's speculation.  Nice try, though.

2 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Sorry I missed your post. I replied earlier in the post that the values are averaged over a 6 month span broken down in 3 month increments, once when I was building the price structures earlier in the year and again when I proofed the whole of the database. 

Thanks for asking and again I apologize for the delay.  You can email me anytime at nick@keycollectorcomics.com.  You’ll receive a more immediate response as I don’t have alerts set up to hit my main email from the boards.  Hope you’re enjoying he app. 

-Nick

Thanks for getting back to this one - though I guess it's not something you want to discuss on an open forum, basically where you get the prices from (Ebay?).

A few years ago someone came on the boards touting a new app of theirs for pricing raw books that was similar (though not as focused as yours) and was met with many questions about how reliable the prices were, where they got their data, how often it's updated, and how does one get reliable data about low, mid and high grade RAW books from a place like Ebay where many books advertised and sold as "high grade" are actually very mid-grade once you look at the pictures.

20 hours ago, FineCollector said:

It's all about the money.  If you know and like the character, you know where their first appearance is already.  Buying a key because it's a key isn't fun, it's speculation.  Nice try, though.

Not really.  Some people like to have them because it’s a piece of history in some sense to certain collectors who feel that way.  Sounds like it’s all about the money for you since you keep bro going it up 

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

AND FUTURE!!! :tonofbricks:

6 hours ago, anstettoman said:

unfortunately haters go to hate........

I can see how a "negative" review would be upsetting remembering my first negative on ebay after 300+ positive reviews.

Don't get too hung up about a few negatives it is a nice service and keeping your thoughts organized in one forum post should keep the haters at bay,

now if only the site had told me that superman (vol 2)  #189 was a "Key" I wouldn't have sold it for $1.25.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

Downloaded, can't wait to start diving into this!

20 hours ago, FineCollector said:

31 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Is there an app alerting young collectors of great story arcs with great art?

+1

Maybe you could put a rating area for each book on the app that way people who download could get you started by rating stories for you. :)

8 hours ago, NoMan said:

Is there an app alerting young collectors of great story arcs with great art?

I’m sure there are a lot of resources that have that information. An app? I’m not exactly sure off hand but within the next two weeks (three at most) you’ll see an update with a few new buttons on the key collector landing page. Search by artist. Search by writer.  Browse categories.  Browse categories will be most effective for new collectors to get hooked on the classic stories that have endured and the newer stories that are beloved for their character development, innovtions or genre defining/redefining.  You’ve actually given me an idea though which would be to break up the story arc categories  by age.  Even though saga or watchmen or many Millar books might be great stories there should be some further guidance.  I’m not sure if you’re asking for yourself but if you do want recommendations let me know...if it’s a suggestion for the app the answer is yes, it’s been on the list since before the initial launch and im really excited to roll it out soon.  If you have any arcs or artists you’d like to see on it then please send me a message or reply.  

7 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

+1

Maybe you could put a rating area for each book on the app that way people who download could get you started by rating stories for you. :)

I really like that idea.  Maybe a thumbs up thumbs dow or do you think eating.  Like 3 starts.  Maybe 1 2 or 3 claws? Haha. That’d be fun 

7 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

I’m sure there are a lot of resources that have that information. An app? I’m not exactly sure off hand but within the next two weeks (three at most) you’ll see an update with a few new buttons on the key collector landing page. Search by artist. Search by writer.  Browse categories.  Browse categories will be most effective for new collectors to get hooked on the classic stories that have endured and the newer stories that are beloved for their character development, innovtions or genre defining/redefining.  You’ve actually given me an idea though which would be to break up the story arc categories  by age.  Even though saga or watchmen or many Millar books might be great stories there should be some further guidance.  I’m not sure if you’re asking for yourself but if you do want recommendations let me know...if it’s a suggestion for the app the answer is yes, it’s been on the list since before the initial launch and im really excited to roll it out soon.  If you have any arcs or artists you’d like to see on it then please send me a message or reply.  

I'll shoot you a PM when I have the time to suggest stories I think are great for comic readers to read. It's all just my opinion but maybe if some of these collectors get reading great comics in addition to the investment angle, I don't know... great comics are fun to read. 

On 10/27/2017 at 8:20 AM, NoMan said:

I'll shoot you a PM when I have the time to suggest stories I think are great for comic readers to read. It's all just my opinion but maybe if some of these collectors get reading great comics in addition to the investment angle, I don't know... great comics are fun to read. 

I'd really appreciate that...you can email me at nick@keycollectorcomics.com.   I don't want to miss your message on the chat so if you could send it there I'd be grateful.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:47 PM, FineCollector said:

You lace the dollar boxes with better stuff in the hopes of promoting good will with your customers, and selling a stack of material.  If a customer uses the app and picks only the stuff you put in as sweetener,  that one buyer benefits, everyone else thinks your bins are lame, and you're worse off than you were before.

I don't need this app to do that. I pick what I want and leave the drek behind. Why would someone buy more drek just because they found a good one?

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I don't need this app to do that. I pick what I want and leave the drek behind. Why would someone buy more drek just because they found a good one?

I'll throw a guy a few bucks if I get a good deal.  There are always cheap books I don't have, or stuff I can give to my friend's kid.  It can't just be about finding the juiciest deals.

Edited by FineCollector

46 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I'll throw a guy a few bucks if I get a good deal.  There are always cheap books I don't have, or stuff I can give to my friend's kid.  It can't just be about finding the juiciest deals.

To each their own. If I get good deals I will be a repeat buyer. There's only so many times you can go to a shop and walk out empty handed before you stop going.

Just now, ygogolak said:

To each their own. If I get good deals I will be a repeat buyer. There's only so many times you can go to a shop and walk out empty handed before you stop going.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.  If I find a Flash 197 for $20, I'm up, so I'll buy some run filler Flashes I need at $2-3, even though I'd normally wait until they're $1.  Would I pay $2-3 each without the 197?  Probably not.  It's my opinion that if you vulture the Flash 197 and don't take anything else, that's not sustainable for the vendor, and he won't be around long for you to pick from.

58 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.  If I find a Flash 197 for $20, I'm up, so I'll buy some run filler Flashes I need at $2-3, even though I'd normally wait until they're $1.  Would I pay $2-3 each without the 197?  Probably not.  It's my opinion that if you vulture the Flash 197 and don't take anything else, that's not sustainable for the vendor, and he won't be around long for you to pick from.

I buy and collect what I like. Not you or your neighbor like. I don't collect runs nor do I have space for things I don't want.

Sustainable shops make their money off of new issues and subscriptions. Back issues are gravy on top.

like I said, if a shop doesn't want to sell, that's fine. I don't have to shop there.

On 10/29/2017 at 3:33 PM, FineCollector said:

If a vendor is that bad of a business person to lose his business because his high demand books are selling then it was inevitiable. You’re just a contrarian is what it comes down to.  

On 10/29/2017 at 4:34 PM, ygogolak said:

I buy and collect what I like. Not you or your neighbor like. I don't collect runs nor do I have space for things I don't want.

Sustainable shops make their money off of new issues and subscriptions. Back issues are gravy on top.

like I said, if a shop doesn't want to sell, that's fine. I don't have to shop there.

Perfectly said