• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just couldn't make yourself buy it?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Anybody ever have a piece come up that they were really REALLY interested in, something that they loved, but there was just ONE THING about it that they either tried to rationalize or talk themselves around, but just couldn't quite do it? Or maybe you did, and then later regretted?

A wonky hand or arm.
A face that didn't quite work.
Would love to hear some stories.

The topic below made me think of this:

Edited by ESeffinga

For sure numerous times. In fact, there was a Batman piece I actually did buy and when it arrived it had a messed up eye. Small little thing but it bugged me. So, it was the first piece to go when I had to sell to buy something else.

Edited by artistlost

1 hour ago, artistlost said:

For sure numerous times. In fact, there was a Batman piece I actually did buy and when it arrived it had a messed up eye. Small little thing but it bugged me. So, it was the first piece to go when I had to sell to buy something else.

Nearly identical story. Couldn't handle the eyes on a commission piece, but couldn't renege on the purchase as it was completely finished. Sold in the next CL auction. Couldn't get it out of my house fast enough.  

1 minute ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Nearly identical story. Couldn't handle the eyes on a commission piece, but couldn't renege on the purchase as it was completely finished. Sold in the next CL auction. Couldn't get it out of my house fast enough.  

I noticed the same thing on a few of your Y pages...I'll gladly help out :)

YES! I'd like to pick up a Batgirl piece for cheap, and this page was a good contender a few auctions ago. Batgirl crashing through the window was pretty cool. All in all I thought "wow, this is cool. I'm totally picking up this piece." Until I looked in detail on the bottom panel. W.T.F. Her legs and hips are completely turned around from the torso. It was corrected on the printed version. Still, couldn't pull the trigger on that piece.

Batgirl 3 Page 1.jpg

Batgirl 3 Page 1 final.jpg

17 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

YES! I'd like to pick up a Batgirl piece for cheap, and this page was a good contender a few auctions ago. Batgirl crashing through the window was pretty cool. All in all I thought "wow, this is cool. I'm totally picking up this piece." Until I looked in detail on the bottom panel. W.T.F. Her legs and hips are completely turned around from the torso. It was corrected on the printed version. Still, couldn't pull the trigger on that piece.

Batgirl 3 Page 1.jpg

Batgirl 3 Page 1 final.jpg

"She's wrong. I know she's wrong." LOL. Still not fixed even as printed, all somebody had to do was bend the knee up on the right leg to create some differentiation. Or lose that unfortunate thigh length highlight ;)

I had a Byrne X-Men page. Wolverine and Nightcrawler on it in a couple of panels. Really nicely drawn.

Half the page however was a giant "establishing shot" which I considered to be a "dead" panel. When time came to raise money for the house, it was one of the first to go. I got my money back and made an extra couple hundred bucks, but man oh man was that ever a mistake. 

I looked at this page many times a day for the brief time it was available. For me, I couldn’t get past the bottom right panel. It’s a perfectly drawn panel it just does nothing for me and I couldn’t get over it. 

That said I’m jealous of whomever bought it, it’s a beautiful page I regret not pulling the trigger. I just have in my head that if I’m going to buy one Quitely page I have to love all parts (still looking btw!).

7429DD15-7F98-4D96-876E-A7FD621AB4C4.jpeg

Apologies if someone on here now owns this page.  I think it's a great page with X-23 rescuing a dog from a fire, and I looked at it several times when it was on Anthony's site as well as when he had it listed on eBay.  My wife and I both love dogs, so I was naturally drawn to it, but the look on the dog's face in the second panel just killed it for me.  I realize the dog is probably supposed to be in shock, but it just looks hypnotized, zombified or caught in headlights to me.

All-New-X-Men-4-p12-X-23-Wolverine-Rescues.jpg.e3c046e4616d52f2611da1fe46ba8ab8.jpg

DirectRespectfulDolphin-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Doc McCoy

I had a shot at this one right before the current owner got it. (And has owned it for 12 years since) But, as much as I wanted (and still do) a New X-men full page splash from the Morrison run...  I just couldnt do it.   

IMG_1603.jpg

Oof at that Emma Frost. 

I recall a recent Tim Sale Batman cover, Bats embracing Catwoman, with all three of his arms lol.

When I collected commissions, the lettering of “Arkham” in the background of a piece was horribly unbalanced, so I got rid of it a few months later. That was probably the most “absurd.”

There’s been a number of pieces I’ve passed on because of funky or dead panels detracting from an otherwise great image. 

Now if I see something that bothers me, I move on. If I don’t love it in its entirety, I don’t want it. Unless it’s DKR. I will take anything DKR lol 

6 hours ago, Khazano said:

I had a shot at this one right before the current owner got it. (And has owned it for 12 years since) But, as much as I wanted (and still do) a New X-men full page splash from the Morrison run...  I just couldnt do it.   

IMG_1603.jpg

If my memory serves, I have a lot of leeway when it comes to the art in that issue.  I think that someone didn't hit their deadline and Kordy had to do that issue in like a week or something crazy like that.  So when the art looks "off" just realize, he was probably cranking out 4 pages a day and trying to decipher some crazy-weird Morrison -script at the same time.