• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Hierarchy of damage?

4 posts in this topic

So being totally new to this I was wondering if someone could explain the so called Heirarchy of damage. What I mean by that is the types of damage that cause a comic to loose the most value. I was recently looking at buying this ghost rider but my one friend said not to because the scratch on the Fed 1st. The rest of the comic (to me) didn’t look terrible but being knew I wasn’t sure what to look for. Can anyone explain what drops the value a lot and makes it not worth buying?

E4E3C969-60A7-4B6E-B42A-B7FC76906F56.png

Edited by Max Vebaneta

It's a bit blurry but that doesn't look good. Of course depends what grade it is priced at. There isn't really a heirarchy. Also it's important to see the bc as that can often drop the grade significantly due to stains or other defects. I wouldn't buy a book without clear higher resolution images of front and back cover.

What you are calling a scratch, may be a tape pull, hard to tell as the pic is terrible. There is no hierarchy, simply because each flaw can have it's own degree of severity. Example, what if I said a stain is worse than a tear and we have a situation where the stain is 'tiny' but the tear is long. Of course the long tear is worse than the tiny stain. However, a big stain would be worse than a big tear. There are countless flaws. They are all 'bad', how bad depends on individual severity. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob