• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Welcome Dan!   Nice to have you on board. 

Comiclink has been the best source the last year or two.   Sometimes they have a nice little run of books for sale, sometimes they don't, but its the only venue that's had them with anything approaching regularity.  

Buying Ivan's book is a good start, sure. 

You could also buy a little sampling of books through somebody like Stephen to get a feel for what you like, and/or buy one of the reprint volumes.  Nothing like the originals though!

Thank-you Bronty. Great advice. Although I will eventually figure out what are my favourite books, I’m more interested in just getting into the market at this point, and then refining later. I’ll definitely check out CLINK and try to land my first. Unfortunately, I have zero concept of proper pricing at this point, but I’m sure that will come in time. Thanks for your advice! Dan. 

1 minute ago, Sgt Preston said:

Thank-you Bronty. Great advice. Although I will eventually figure out what are my favourite books, I’m more interested in just getting into the market at this point, and then refining later. I’ll definitely check out CLINK and try to land my first. Unfortunately, I have zero concept of proper pricing at this point, but I’m sure that will come in time. Thanks for your advice! Dan. 

pm'd

3 hours ago, eccomic said:

Merry Christmas to my fellow collectors of Canadian Golden Age comics and from Nelvana!!

XMAS WHITES.JPG

I’m sure there are a few of us imagining what it would be like to find just one of those under the tree, nevermind the whole lot. You are an incredible collector of these beautiful books. Well done. 

Edited by Sgt Preston

On 1/21/2019 at 1:05 PM, aardvark88 said:

Here is an interesting listing of the top 21 of 27 Marvel Comics Group titles selected for color reprinting in Canada by Bell Features:

bX9GyOK.jpg?1

That IS interesting.  What month/year would this be?

Perhaps its just a West Coast thing, but I have seen enough of these to wonder if it should be considered a variant even though it's a paper snipe attached to the cover, rather than printed.  In any case it was part of a bigger ad campaign. For those who like minutia this particular copy. probably unread, had an advertising insert placed (not glued) inside. Anyone with information or thoughts?

Better V7 N4.jpg

Better V7 N4 insert.jpg

23 hours ago, patgacvan said:

Perhaps its just a West Coast thing, but I have seen enough of these to wonder if it should be considered a variant even though it's a paper snipe attached to the cover, rather than printed.  In any case it was part of a bigger ad campaign. For those who like minutia this particular copy. probably unread, had an advertising insert placed (not glued) inside. Anyone with information or thoughts?

Better V7 N4 insert.jpg

Did anyone else read this as "Snotless"?

I always thought that it might have been remainders bought up by Spotless, but it's a total conjecture, Vancouver was a small town in those days, it could easily been an investment or partnership to get the colour comics printed. The quality of the book is very high, good paper, good printing, professional art, nice layout, wouldn't look out of place on a U.S. newsstand.  It's also worth noting that the word coloured on the cover uses the American spelling 'colored' not the English, so it is easy to speculate that they were hoping to get copies into the States, however I have never noticed any with U.S. newsstand marks or coming out of the pedigree collections. You think I would have ended up ballast and sent to England like some of the others at this time. That probably didn't happen because it was in Vancouver.

Including ones with the snipe torn at least half a dozen, most of them throughout the 1970's and early 1980's (there was a hoard of Golden Age comics that was available locally at that time), The one with the insert came to me in 1999 in the Chinatown collection, the same collection that had the 9.4 Active 13, Commando 16, and several Funny Comics (Dizzy Don's)  I have not seen one since. I have only seen one copy without the snipe.