• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

If someone here won this lot, I am looking for a copy of the Canadian Captain Marvel Adventures Vol 2 # 4, that was part of the group:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/canadian-and-foreign-comics-group-of-50-various-publishers-1940s-50s-condition-average-gd-vg-total-50-comic-books-/a/121922-11448.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Feel free to PM me :wink:

930573.jpg

Edited by eccomic

11 hours ago, eccomic said:

This just in 😀

6D655583-BEFE-413E-8857-9D8D9D071E57.jpeg

I can hear the kid in the ball cap and suspenders now "Aw man, what a gyp!"

Any one know if this image of Captain Marvel was lifted from some where or whether it was drawn in Canada specifically for this issue?

One of my favourite all times series is Crimes By Women. When I found out there were Canadian Superior copies out there, I fell in love and had to track them down. So far I've managed to find issues #2 and #3. Up until a week ago GCD only had issues #2, #3, #4, and #5 listed with cover scans. I was absolutely FLOORED when I saw what was posted on eBay last week. Crimes By Women #6 Superior version. I knew right away I had to have it. It arrived in the mail yesterday and I couldn't be happier. Beautiful book. 

20190618_091151.jpg

Campus Romances #1 (Superior). Came across this book at a local small con this last weekend. I was pleasantly surprised to see there was ZERO data on this book on GCD. They have info and scans for issues #2, and #3, but absolutely nothing for #1!!!!

20190618_091649.jpg

New Discovery of a very rare Canadian Golden Age comic :whatthe:

Lucky Coyne Comics Volume 1 # 1 was published by the Globe and Mail Printing Company in Toronto, for distribution in Great Britain at Manchester, England. The cover sports a Six Pence price under the ten cent price. All copies of this book to come to light have the six pence cover price and the indicia indicating Super Publications Ltd and are readily available on Ebay and not entirely uncommon.

There are two versions of this with one in which the indicia say it’s a Rucker Publication and the other where the indicia say it’s a Super Publication. The Super Publications version has an added 6 pence price tag on the front cover beneath the ten cent logo, whereas the Rucker version had Vol 1 # 1 in the little yellow box beneath the 10 cents log. This indicates that the Super version was intended primarily for export to the U.K. and the Rucker version was intended for Canadian distribution.

However, a copy has recently come to light that has Vol 1 # 1 under the ten cent cover price, in lieu of the six pence price, and stipulates in the indicia that it was published by Rucker in Toronto with NO UK address and intended for distribution nationally only in Canada. The interior is COMPLETELY back and white and is the interior of Chesler’s Dynamic Comics # 11, versus the Pence Copy that was distributed in the UK which is a blend of colour Chesler reprints of Dynamic Comics and black and white “News of the Day” articles on the interior.

This is the first copy of the Canadian distributed copy of Luck Coyne to come to light, and could possibly be the ONLY KNOWN COPY EXTANT!. The book surfaced in Montreal, Quebec and was owned by a Pauline Cohen who wrote her name not only on the front cover, but she also wrote her Montreal address on the coupon on the back cover.

I've never seen another Canadian distributed copy with the volume one number one on the cover, that was not replaced by sixpence and was not distributed in the UK, unlike the more common version which has the distribution address of the UK in the indicia

The question is: What happened to all the other Canadian distributed copies of this book?

I've been collecting Canadian golden age comics for over 20 years and I've seen at least 100 copies of Lucky Coyne comics, and every single one of them has the six pence cover price with the colour and black and white interior, and the UK distribution address on the indicia.

It is also interesting to note, per the CGC Census, that THREE copies are listed by Rucker Publishing and ONE copy listed by Super Publishing.

I have attached pictures of THREE GRADED copies and ALL of them sport the SIX PENCE price in the box beneath the ten cents, yet two of them state Rucker Publishing and one by Super Publishing, conclusively showing that all three were distributed in the UK and not nationally in Canada accordingly.

I will now present my findings

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

Edited by eccomic

CGC census reports and samples of the three certified copies published by Rucker Publishing and one copy certified by Super Publishing . Yet irrespective of the Publishing data on the CGC label, ALL three certified copies exhibit the SIX PENCE price below the ten cent cover price. 

Census Rucker CGC.jpg

Cenus Super CGC.jpg

CGC Lucky Rucker.jpg

CGC Lucky Super.jpg

IMG_0846.JPG

Edited by eccomic