• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

I knew that book would get your attention, Jimmers, lol! 

The American version did not have a number on the cover, but in the indicia on the inside FC, it stated Volume 1 Number 1, March 1951, published by Classic Detective Stories, Inc.

The stories inside the Canadian version match those listed on the cover.  Why they numbered it 23 is beyond me, as the American numbering started at 1, so apparently was not a continuation of a changed previous title.

Edited by fifties

Well, it wasn’t a continuation in the US.   Perhaps it was in Canada?   Imagine a series of one shots as they obtained license to reprint various books.   Of course, I am pulling this from back nether regions. 

Edited by Bronty

On 9/30/2019 at 5:05 PM, rjpb said:

As I recall Goodman had more than 60 publishing companies for his comics and magazines in the 1940s and 50s. Presumably this was for tax and liability purposes of some sort, but I've never seen a real explanation of why there were so many. 

They cover it pretty well in this book.

http://www.tcj.com/reviews/the-secret-history-of-marvel-comics-jack-kirby-and-the-moonlighting-artists-at-martin-goodmans-empire/

F801C8B5-26E1-4284-9F27-5CF58C123CF4.jpeg.63ad242ec691a840743d7b854beb907f.jpeg

On 3/17/2019 at 2:25 PM, Frisco Larson said:

This is interesting in that this Canadian copy shows more blood on the victims shirt than the American Edition does. I think we used Billy's copy to verify that, which I don't believe he owns anymore. I don't have one for reference, sorry. 

Blonde Phantom 18 Canadian.JPG

Yes, very interesting!

GGA blonde phantom 18 ok.jpg

On 10/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, Bronty said:

Well, it wasn’t a continuation in the US.   Perhaps it was in Canada?   Imagine a series of one shots as they obtained license to reprint various books.   Of course, I am pulling this from back nether regions. 

That's right along what I was thinking.I have a few Hi Comics (#5,11) that seem not to have the missing numbers/issues ever been.I think I also have a number in the twenties of that series,and it's Blackhawk reprints? Maybe @Subliminal knows,or Stephen ecccomics?

1 hour ago, eccomic said:

Cover Swipe? Check out the woman in the foreground hm

The Comiques Francais dates circa 1945 and the Active Comics dates to circa 1943

IMG_2045.jpg

I like the Comiques Français much more myself.That's an amazing comic sir,I'm in awe of it.

Here's a little time machine for everyone, a downtown Vancouver newsstand with brand new multiple copies of Commando 11, Funny 12, Rocket V2N9, Triumph 20, Real Life 19, Lucky V2N10, Canadian Heroes V4N2.. I have the Funny, Lucky and Canadian Heroes, I'm just going to pretend that they came from this newsstand.

Neswstand with Commando 11 Funny 12 Rocket v2n9 Triumph 20 Real Life 19 Lucky v2n10 Canadian Heroes v4n2.jpg

Very cool.  (thumbsu  I picked up a nice looking copy of Lucky Coyne Comics back in 2018:

994341099_Lucky01-R.thumb.jpg.ff7eb26f9c7afd3e7ae960b458d734b0.jpg

The book has just returned home from a short vacation in Sarasota, carrying a brand new title: Highest CGC-Certified Copy.  Unfortunately, it'll be making one more round trip soon, as this is the Super Publications version rather than the Rucker Publications version.  If y'all would pay attention to my submission form, there would be no need to guess.  D-oh!  doh!

Lucky-01x1.thumb.jpg.6707a59ef184fd10c7f4e16631b04f4f.jpg