• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

I'll re-post this because I forgot to give photo credit, The photographer was Jack Lindsay (1915-1994) , he and his family were nice enough to donate his photographs to the Vancouver Archives. They are public domain, so if there is any purpose to reuse the photo please honor Jack by crediting the photo! 

Henry's Neswstand with Commando 11 Funny 12 Rocket v2n9 Triumph 20 Real Life 19 Lucky v2n10 Canadian Heroes v4n2.jpg

I'll re-post Henry's photo because I forgot to give photo credit, The photographer was Jack Lindsay (1915-1994) , he and his family were nice enough to donate his photographs to the Vancouver Archives. They are public domain, so if there is any purpose to reuse the photo please honor Jack by crediting the photo! 

Henry's Neswstand with Commando 11 Funny 12 Rocket v2n9 Triumph 20 Real Life 19 Lucky v2n10 Canadian Heroes v4n2.jpg

Another Jack Lindsay photo circa 1944 The Post Office Newsstand at Granville and Hastings Street in Downtown Vancouver. Comics shown are Canadian Heroes V4 N3 Air Aces V2 N5 True 38 and WOW 21. Post Office Newsstand was a pretty fair newsstand, but looks rather shabby in this photo. I believe that because this was a federal building they got pushed out of their regular spot during the war. I have a few comics with their stamp on the back cover. The building is now a heritage building called the Sinclair Centre, however instead of cool comic books it's now focused on very high end fashion. 

Post Office Newstand.  Canadian Heroes V4N3  Air Aces V2N6 Wow 21 True #38.jpg

Looking for some bit of information on this one book I found recently. My buddy and I went to a thrift store where the store owner send me message that he has a few boxes of comics he just got in stock. Told me I should go take a look to see what I can find to buy from him. So we drove there.

Keeping in mind, he told me to use social distancing in his store. If need gloves, he will provide.

So I started digging in the boxes ... went through modern Dreks and some older CA, BA books ... nothing that I can see. Did found a few interesting books I can read.  Then I found this book buried in one of the boxes. Called “Spike and Mike” (by Ross Saakel). I had posted my find in the general thread under Anquite/garage/yard sales. I found out that it is from 1945 published by Bell Features.

That was why when I saw the Bell Features on the cover, I knew it had to be a Canadian edition. Does have black and white pages. But so little info is known about this one. As much what I know ... it seems to be a collection of stories from Joke Comics bundled up in a thick 68 pages copy which I have here. The question is is it scare, or fairly common among Canadian published comics?

244C8057-882E-4466-AE98-95E81076D630.jpeg

84EFD8FC-FA4B-497A-B7FD-6DEC83E5EB35.jpeg

I thought this one might be of interest to a few folks here... Western Winners ended with #7 in the US, but (much to my surprise) continued in Canada.

And (though most of you likely know this already) that's actually a cover photo Stan Lee hiding under that mask.

BlackRider1.jpg

BlackRider2.jpg

I got this about a month ago. It was graded a 1.0 due to SB pages and a coupon clipped from the back cover, but I thought it presented quite nicely, and IMHO it has a pretty cool cover. This is reportedly the first issue, despite the numbering, and the three issue run is apparently the complete output of Feature Publications (Canadian). There are four copies on the census, and I gather the next two issues are even tougher to find, as there are none. 

Lightning.thumb.jpg.2ecf5ba3450653b8493494393f534b80.jpg

9 hours ago, rjpb said:

I got this about a month ago. It was graded a 1.0 due to SB pages and a coupon clipped from the back cover, but I thought it presented quite nicely, and IMHO it has a pretty cool cover. This is reportedly the first issue, despite the numbering, and the three issue run is apparently the complete output of Feature Publications (Canadian). There are four copies on the census, and I gather the next two issues are even tougher to find, as there are none. 

Lightning.thumb.jpg.2ecf5ba3450653b8493494393f534b80.jpg

:wink: They are indeed tough.. Here are all three. From my collection

12694812_10156509433865481_4060099714345918118_o.jpg.df791402ecccc36918e0bf877b35cac2.jpg