• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2020 at 4:16 PM, DonovanY said:

And for the colour stories that will be in the volume, here's the level of restoration I'm going for...  Restoration on the left, original on the right. This is a pretty rushed proof of concept, the final would have a bit more attention to detail.

tk2.jpg

Sorry but that is ugly and I won't be getting this book. I like my reprints as close to the original printing as possible. Just scan it and adjust the contrast and stuff a little and print it. Fantagraphics is pretty much the only one that reprints old comics right at all. For some reason everyone else loves to mess with the artwork and recolor everything.

7 hours ago, catman76 said:

Sorry but that is ugly and I won't be getting this book. I like my reprints as close to the original printing as possible. Just scan it and adjust the contrast and stuff a little and print it. Fantagraphics is pretty much the only one that reprints old comics right at all. For some reason everyone else loves to mess with the artwork and recolor everything.

well, its a tricky thing and yes fantagraphics does it well, but at least reprints of some of these difficult books are coming onto the marketplace.    With most of the whites reprints being in the original black and white, your color preferences shouldn't be an issue on most projects.

19 hours ago, catman76 said:

Fantagraphics' Barks Library and Prince Valiant are the gold standards.  But, the Barks Library is basically the same process as being used above.  Personally, I like having in registration color.  DonovanY is doing a good job.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/2/2020 at 2:16 PM, DonovanY said:

And for the colour stories that will be in the volume, here's the level of restoration I'm going for...  Restoration on the left, original on the right. This is a pretty rushed proof of concept, the final would have a bit more attention to detail.

tk2.jpg

I do have two comments about this restoration.  First, as someone who has the Nelvana, Johnny Canuck, and Brok Windsor books, this restoration appears really really good.  Line work restoration is fantastic!  So I know that the b&w portion of the book will be up to the highest standards.  Second, I do think it is wise to emulate what works, and the Barks library books by Fantagraphics are the gold standard for color GA reprints.  I'd suggest you mute down your color palette a tiny bit to make the colors look more like old newsprint comics as Fantagraphics has done.  AND, PLEASE PRINT YOUR BOOK ON MATTE PAPER LIKE THE FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS.  Glossy paper does not suit GA reprints.  

11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I do have two comments about this restoration.  First, as someone who has the Nelvana, Johnny Canuck, and Brok Windsor books, this restoration appears really really good.  Line work restoration is fantastic!  So I know that the b&w portion of the book will be up to the highest standards.  Second, I do think it is wise to emulate what works, and the Barks library books by Fantagraphics are the gold standard for color GA reprints.  I'd suggest you mute down your color palette a tiny bit to make the colors look more like old newsprint comics as Fantagraphics has done.  AND, PLEASE PRINT YOUR BOOK ON MATTE PAPER LIKE THE FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS.  Glossy paper does not suit GA reprints.  

good suggestions!!

On 9/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, catman76 said:

I understand where you're coming from.  I'll have you know that I am considering that method of reprinting as well. 

On 9/10/2020 at 12:32 PM, sfcityduck said:

Nice to see a user handle that I recognize from the MMW boards!

Having restored Masterworks for most of this century, I'm well versed in these battles/discussions.

I'm most DEFINITELY avoiding Glossy paper like the plague.  

I'm obviously using the 25% colour increments to restore colour, and then scaling them back.  If I'm doing the colour portion of book using this method, I just haven't found that proper amount to scale back yet.  

My biggest beef with these books is the obscene amount of colour out of registration.  See below!

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 9.13.16 PM.png

Edited by DonovanY

2 hours ago, DonovanY said:

Nice to see a user handle that I recognize from the MMW boards!

So your following in Gagne's footsteps?  I remember him talking about his Kirby restoration project back in the day.  Please don't give up and use scans.  I have no need for the PS quality product. Your restoration looks great!

Anybody seen or heard of this before??
Apparently, the only issue published from 1951 in Montreal that seems to be uniquely Canadian and illustrated by  a Canadian artist 

It Mentions the iron curtain in the preface, Which suggests it’s a Cold War era comic as well

I also acquired the French set as well.

710084EA-1A60-4211-B523-DB09DD49320F.jpeg

76911E06-FCFC-487F-BE8A-9A3928D104DF.jpeg

737091B4-B715-4869-B6D3-C73268555B7F.jpeg

1B088015-70D7-4216-B285-05ECE2D0490B.jpeg

127799438_795346367913200_2301282053695749983_n.jpg

128157286_375440113718475_4229409372887395761_n.jpg

128208329_1340062599675746_572783788095925521_n.jpg

Edited by eccomic

On 7/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, eccomic said:

So, a friend of mine is seeking the following issues for the Terry Kane stories within and seeks scans accordingly of the covers and the interior Terry Kane stories:

Three Aces Comics

v4 #3 - Terry Kane in Utopia

v4 #4 - Terry Kane Battles the Thief of Time

Hopefully somebody can assist :wink:

Cheers,

Stephen

82CC488B-880C-4193-8140-ABA941327965.jpeg

Just putting this out there again, 

I'm willing to pay someone to scan the two Terry Kane  stories in these issues if they have them in their collection and don't want to sell them outright.