• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

That's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one of those before thumbsup2.gif

Here are 2 books that I thought should be in this thread:

1309465-ebay4018.jpg

1309467-ebay4021.jpg

Edited by 143ksk

Just flipping through this copy and I was surprised to see that it is in color. I thought the inetrior pages were printed in black and white? Also, inside the cover at the bottom its says:

Subscriptions: $1.20 for 12 issues. Wonder if anyone ever paid for a subscriptions because obviously this didn't go very far.

I'm not an expert - I'll let eccomic comment further but in general I believe the canadian versions of US books like the cap above are in color whereas the canadian "whites" (which conversely are original content books with no US counterparts) are usually B&W inside.

I've collected Cdn for many years and all books printed after 1945 have color pages. Even the Cdn White titles like Freelance and Grandslam moved to color once the war ended so they could compete with the now open market from the US.

The Comics in Canada: An Illustrated History

Great video and audio clips from CBC archives!

-There's "Canada's first comic book store" TV-clip from 1967

-The men behind the "Canadian Whites", a line of All-Canadian superhero comics, discuss their creations

-Soti discussions from radio

also new stuff like Dave Sims interview...etc

Several companies ended up reprinting US issues on cheaper newsprint. But I also assume the plates they were printing from were not in good shape by the time they reached Canada, having already been used to print thousands of first editions. thin priting plates do not hold ink well so that, along with inferior presses and inexperienced colour separtors had a lot to do with the quality. And sometimes remaindered comics would have a different cover slapped on them. that affected comics whose first story pages bagan on the inside front cover. The first pages simply wouldn't be there anymore!

Several companies ended up reprinting US issues on cheaper newsprint. But I also assume the plates they were printing from were not in good shape by the time they reached Canada, having already been used to print thousands of first editions. thin priting plates do not hold ink well so that, along with inferior presses and inexperienced colour separtors had a lot to do with the quality. And sometimes remaindered comics would have a different cover slapped on them. that affected comics whose first story pages bagan on the inside front cover. The first pages simply wouldn't be there anymore!

I have many Canadian Edition Golden Age comics with that problem. The other problem is alot of them seem to be miscut!!! I have few mid to high grade Canadian Editions with miscuts!!

For an example, Sensation Comics #74 (Below). As collector I would be embarrased to sell this to any Golden Age Collector on these boards despite it is a CGC 7.5 grade. (Note: For Golden Age a CGC 7.5 is considered a High Grade Copy!) I didn't noticed how bad it was until it was in a slab!!! The picture does not even show how mad the miscut is!!! Why are most Golden Age Canadian Editions have that severe miscut?

Here is an example:

HPIM1609.jpg

I have many Canadian Edition Golden Age comics with that problem. The other problem is alot of them seem to be miscut!!! I have few mid to high grade Canadian Editions with miscuts!!

For an example, Sensation Comics #74 (Below). As collector I would be embarrased to sell this to any Golden Age Collector on these boards despite it is a CGC 7.5 grade. (Note: For Golden Age a CGC 7.5 is considered a High Grade Copy!) I didn't noticed how bad it was until it was in a slab!!! The picture does not even show how mad the miscut is!!! Why are most Golden Age Canadian Editions have that severe miscut?

Here is an example:

HPIM1609.jpg

There is probably greater tolerance for mis-cut books in the GA and Atomic Age books as it is more prevalent.