• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, sarvaj said:

You know, there's no direct indication that these books were printed in Canada. Most people assume this because the interiors are black-and-white, but they have no indicia and no marking to link them to any of the Canadian publishers that were in operation at the time, or any other indication that they were printed and distributed in Canada. Even the CGC labels choose not to call them Canadian editions. I can't call them Canadian until we have proof that they are and I wonder if we ever will...?

There are CGC labels that refer to them as Canadian editions.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, sarvaj said:

You know, there's no direct indication that these books were printed in Canada. Most people assume this because the interiors are black-and-white, but they have no indicia and no marking to link them to any of the Canadian publishers that were in operation at the time, or any other indication that they were printed and distributed in Canada. Even the CGC labels choose not to call them Canadian editions. I can't call them Canadian until we have proof that they are and I wonder if we ever will...?

Here's why I think that these 2 giants were Canadian only distribution:

1.  The contents were all black and white:

Kids in the US at that time were used to colour comics.  I don't think that kids in the US would have been too accepting of paying 25c to see nothing but black and white images when all of the other comics at that time were being produced in colour.  Canadian kids, to the contrary, wouldn't have batted an eye at black and white contents - they were used to it to some degree.  Doubtful that Goodman would have issued a book in black and white when every other comic, including all books in his own Timely line, was in colour.

2.  The "recent content" of each issue:

Each of these books contained Timely issues that were fairly recent releases.  The Captain America giant (consensus is that it was a 1942 issue) contains two 1942 books and the Marvel Mystery Comics giant (consensus is that it was a 1943 issue) contains two 1943 books.   

Why would Goodman release two giants that consisted of books that were only a couple of months old at the time?  Chances are pretty good that any kid that collected these two titles had the individual issues already as they had been released only a few months prior to the release of the giants.

3.  The cover price:

Going hand in hand with the "recent content" point above is the 25c cover price.  An American kid that had bought the individual issues contained therein, would have paid 20 cents in total.  Even if he didn't own those random issues, he could waltz down to the pharmacy, local news stand etc and buy the two current month's issues for 20 cents and have a nickel left over.  No way a kid would pay more than the cost of two individual issues to get an inferior product.

4.  Blank inside front cover and blank back cover:

No way Goodman would have released a book in the US and not have sold ad space in it.

5.  Distribution:

One would expect way more copies to have surfaced if this book had been released in the US.  

I don't think that these were "test marketed" in the US.  There was too much of a time gap between the releases.  Goodman would have known the sales result for the first giant by the time the second one was released so there would have been no need to test market the second giant - either way.

6.  No copies in Pedigree Finds:

To my knowledge, neither issue has ever been found in any vintage OO US pedigree collection (or Canadian for that matter).

7.  Stories re original purchase:

I've heard a few stories of original purchases in Canada but none, that I can recall, regarding original purchases in the US.

Timely Comics had been in the Canadian market in the early 1940s but had been shut out for a while (war time non essentials) by the time these giants were produced.  

Timely may have produced these annuals not only to circumvent the non essential import rules and sell books but also to guard the copyright status of their title names, character names and likenesses etc in Canada.  We see the prominent copyright notice at the bottom of page 1 that references both Canada and the US. They knew that the war would eventually end and probably wanted to be poised to re enter the Canadian market immediately when it did end - copyrights intact.

Goodman probably arranged a quick deal with a Canadian printer and publisher to get these produced.  I don't think that any part of these books was printed in the US.  That would have violated Canadian legislation and that's something of which Goodman would have been aware.  

The art for the contents and covers already existed so he wouldn't have had to pay artists for new material.  He would have been able to get away with printing in black and white so he would have saved more money there.   

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Here's why I think that these 2 giants were Canadian only distribution:

1.  The contents were all black and white:

Kids in the US at that time were used to colour comics.  I don't think that kids in the US would have been too accepting of paying 25c to see nothing but black and white images when all of the other comics at that time were being produced in colour.  Canadian kids, to the contrary, wouldn't have batted an eye at black and white contents - they were used to it to some degree.  Doubtful that Goodman would have issued a book in black and white when every other comic, including all books in his own Timely line, was in colour.

2.  The "recent content" of each issue:

Each of these books contained Timely issues that were fairly recent releases.  The Captain America giant (consensus is that it was a 1942 issue) contains two 1942 books and the Marvel Mystery Comics giant (consensus is that it was a 1943 issue) contains two 1943 books.   

Why would Goodman release two giants that consisted of books that were only a couple of months old at the time?  Chances are pretty good that any kid that collected these two titles had the individual issues already as they had been released only a few months prior to the release of the giants.

3.  The cover price:

Going hand in hand with the "recent content" point above is the 25c cover price.  An American kid that had bought the individual issues contained therein, would have paid 20 cents in total.  Even if he didn't own those random issues, he could waltz down to the pharmacy, local news stand etc and buy the two current month's issues for 20 cents and have a nickel left over.  No way a kid would pay more than the cost of two individual issues to get an inferior product.

4.  Blank inside front cover and blank back cover:

No way Goodman would have released a book in the US and not have sold ad space in it.

5.  Distribution:

One would expect way more copies to have surfaced if this book had been released in the US.  

I don't think that these were "test marketed" in the US.  There was too much of a time gap between the releases.  Goodman would have known the sales result for the first giant by the time the second one was released so there would have been no need to test market the second giant - either way.

6.  No copies in Pedigree Finds:

To my knowledge, neither issue has ever been found in any vintage OO US pedigree collection (or Canadian for that matter).

7.  Stories re original purchase:

I've heard a few stories of original purchases in Canada but none, that I can recall, regarding original purchases in the US.

Timely Comics had been in the Canadian market in the early 1940s but had been shut out for a while (war time non essentials) by the time these giants were produced.  

Timely may have produced these annuals not only to circumvent the non essential import rules and sell books but also to guard the copyright status of their title names, character names and likenesses etc in Canada.  We see the prominent copyright notice at the bottom of page 1 that references both Canada and the US. They knew that the war would eventually end and probably wanted to be poised to re enter the Canadian market immediately when it did end - copyrights intact.

Goodman probably arranged a quick deal with a Canadian printer and publisher to get these produced.  I don't think that any part of these books was printed in the US.  That would have violated Canadian legislation and that's something of which Goodman would have been aware.  

The art for the contents and covers already existed so he wouldn't have had to pay artists for new material.  He would have been able to get away with printing in black and white so he would have saved more money there.   

Great summary Pemart!

A very important book arrived today Triumph-Adventure Comics # 5 which completes my set of this title issues # 1-6 which is the most important and ELUSIVE set of the Canadian Golden age introducing Nelvana of the Northern Lights.

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

13 hours ago, eccomic said:

My virtually complete run of Triumph Comics 1941-1946 including the Nelvana One-Shot and her last appearance in Super Duper Comics # 3 in May 1946

90DCF378-E180-49F7-AB28-686436C86057.jpeg

Tremendous accomplishment!  

How many are you missing to complete the run?

Original bell features artist contract signed by the founder Cyril Bell  and artist Fred Kelly that every artist had to sign when working for about Bell feature Publishing located on York Street in Toronto circa 1944 from my collection

807915DB-2AAC-4EBB-9AC0-CB42950198B4.jpeg

6FFBD280-C520-4B4A-BE4A-0B52DA262856.jpeg

2B47C7D1-3B8A-4F67-8AE3-6D0B28207A77.jpeg

0FEED656-2466-4F02-AC7A-BC37B798F459.jpeg

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Very cool.  Thanks for posting.

These particular forms are blank though.  Did they ever file these notices?

They must have because Bell Features did see distributorship in the United States

Nelvana splash page original art beautifully rendered by Adrian Dingle from Triumph Comics # 29 Circa 1945 from my collection. NOTE: ... and it is it the ONLY known surviving piece of Nelvana art. ... Even the Library and Archives Canada does not possess a single page, and they have 2200 pieces of Bell Features original art pages

Nelvana Splash.jpg

Edited by eccomic

39 minutes ago, eccomic said:

Nelvana splash page original art beautifully rendered by Adrian Dingle from Triumph Comics # 29 Circa 1945 from my collection. NOTE: ... and it is it the ONLY known surviving piece of Nelvana art. ... Even the Library and Archives Canada does not possess a single page, and they have 2200 pieces of Bell Features original art pages

Nelvana Splash.jpg

Holy mackerel!  How in the world did all of that art end up there?  Astonishing when you consider the amount of golden age art that was destroyed south of the border.

23 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Holy mackerel!  How in the world did all of that art end up there?  Astonishing when you consider the amount of golden age art that was destroyed south of the border.

The artwork was donated by the founders of Nelvana Animation Studios  to the library and archives Canada In 1972