• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

So bought some comics from North of the Border (aka Canada in these here parts) and found out that a few of them are Canadian editions! Go figure!

But, I know nothing about them except that many have different interiors than the corresponding US copies, or different covers for the number, or both, or even a different name. I asked one company I found on the interwebs but they aren't interested and didn't have much info. GCD has a few, not all of these (I should send them the info when I have a few minutes). Any info, or offers to purchase, are welcome!

CGC252.jpg

CGC254.jpg

CGC256.jpg

CGC258.jpg

CGC260.jpg

CGC262.jpg

CGC264.jpg

CGC266.jpg

CGC268.jpg

1 hour ago, sartrexpress said:

i had just posted these in the Timely category but they were printed in Canada

marvel ann 1 4.0.jpg

cap ann 5.0_edited-3.jpg

Besides Nelvana of the Northern Lights,those two just might fight to the death for my all time top grail books.Amazing you have both!I think the Cap might win,but wow,I love those two books and out of all the beauties you've posted,they are definitely my favourite.I was wondering what you'd posted when I saw your name here,I follow the thread.What a nice surprise,it's been a rough twenty four hours for me.

2 hours ago, Qua-Brot said:

So bought some comics from North of the Border (aka Canada in these here parts) and found out that a few of them are Canadian editions! Go figure!

But, I know nothing about them except that many have different interiors than the corresponding US copies, or different covers for the number, or both, or even a different name. I asked one company I found on the interwebs but they aren't interested and didn't have much info. GCD has a few, not all of these (I should send them the info when I have a few minutes). Any info, or offers to purchase, are welcome!

Swell stuff!I'm not sure about all of them,but in some cases-Disney I'm pretty sure,DC too,the books are shorter in page count,there's a story missing.Sometimes stories are censored(strict up here,couldn't even say Halloween on a cover!) and the ads will be different.Often the inside covers will be blank on the Marvel,and I've found often the issues are off by one number.;so the cover for 22 would be 21 inside for example.Generally they sell for around half of the US edition.

On 9/27/2019 at 8:46 PM, Bronty said:

Thanks to Stephen Lipson for pointing me at this one.   Really happy to add this one to the collection 

745A353D-8539-4BA8-B189-B3041DEBDA34.jpeg

The pleasure is all mine Dan! It could not have gone to a better home! (thumbsu

On 9/28/2019 at 11:17 PM, sartrexpress said:

i had just posted these in the Timely category but they were printed in Canada

marvel ann 1 4.0.jpg

cap ann 5.0_edited-3.jpg

You know, there's no direct indication that these books were printed in Canada. Most people assume this because the interiors are black-and-white, but they have no indicia and no marking to link them to any of the Canadian publishers that were in operation at the time, or any other indication that they were printed and distributed in Canada. Even the CGC labels choose not to call them Canadian editions. I can't call them Canadian until we have proof that they are and I wonder if we ever will...?

1 hour ago, sarvaj said:

You know, there's no direct indication that these books were printed in Canada. Most people assume this because the interiors are black-and-white, but they have no indicia and no marking to link them to any of the Canadian publishers that were in operation at the time, or any other indication that they were printed and distributed in Canada. Even the CGC labels choose not to call them Canadian editions. I can't call them Canadian until we have proof that they are and I wonder if we ever will...?

See below link to completed Ebay auction for the Marvel Mystery Annual:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Marvel-Mystery-Comics-nn-132-Page-Issue-Timely-1943-Canadian-Coverless/163766065656?hash=item262137d9f8:g:mNUAAOSwPbldH9Pc

Indicia states published in both USA and Canada. I used to own a copy of the MM Annual and the indicia was present as well.

I am not sure if this is any indication or not?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by eccomic

6 hours ago, eccomic said:

See below link to completed Ebay auction for the Marvel Mystery Annual:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Marvel-Mystery-Comics-nn-132-Page-Issue-Timely-1943-Canadian-Coverless/163766065656?hash=item262137d9f8:g:mNUAAOSwPbldH9Pc

Indicia states published in both USA and Canada. I used to own a copy of the MM Annual and the indicia was present as well.

I am not sure if this is any indication or not?

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for putting this up, Stephen. However, it still doesn't establish the fact that it is a Canadian publication. A comic indicia usually has the full title of the publication and issue number along with the Publisher's name and city of publication among some other things. This is only a copyright statement and it's a New York-based company which I've never heard of before. I would have thought that the copyright should have been Timely. There is no indication that the book was published in Canada and I think the resolution of this is still a mystery. CGC didn't state it was a Canadian edition. Something definitive needs to come out so that we can go one way or another. The assumption is that. because the interior is in black-and-white, it must be a Canadian publication, but I think that this is an unwarranted assumption. We need to know more...

Here is the indicia for Better Comics Vol. 2 No. 10 which is probably from around the same time as these 'Timely' annuals came out.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, sarvaj said:

This is only a copyright statement and it's a New York-based company which I've never heard of before. I would have thought that the copyright should have been Timely.

"Universal Crime Syndicates, Inc." was a shell corporation used by Martin Goodman to publish pulps, such as National Detective Cases from 1941 to 1949.  Goodman played a lot of games with publishers.  The indicia publishers for Marvel Mystery were:  

Timely Publications (16 issues)
Timely Comics, Inc. (37 issues)
Marvel Comics, Inc. (38 issues)

But, during that same time period, the indicia publishers for Captain America were:

Timely Publications (1 issue)
Timely Comics, Inc. (19 issues)
Complete Photo Story Corp. (48 issues)
Marjean Magazine Corp. (5 issues)

And the indicia publishers for Human Torch were:

Timely Publications (2 issues)
Timely Comics, Inc. (7 issues)
Select Publications, Inc. (1 issue)
Snap Publishing Co., Inc. (15 issues)
Cornell Publishing Corp. (10 issues)

As I recall Goodman had more than 60 publishing companies for his comics and magazines in the 1940s and 50s. Presumably this was for tax and liability purposes of some sort, but I've never seen a real explanation of why there were so many. 

3 hours ago, sarvaj said:

Thanks for putting this up, Stephen. However, it still doesn't establish the fact that it is a Canadian publication. A comic indicia usually has the full title of the publication and issue number along with the Publisher's name and city of publication among some other things. This is only a copyright statement and it's a New York-based company which I've never heard of before. I would have thought that the copyright should have been Timely. There is no indication that the book was published in Canada and I think the resolution of this is still a mystery. CGC didn't state it was a Canadian edition. Something definitive needs to come out so that we can go one way or another. The assumption is that. because the interior is in black-and-white, it must be a Canadian publication, but I think that this is an unwarranted assumption. We need to know more...

Here is the indicia for Better Comics Vol. 2 No. 10 which is probably from around the same time as these 'Timely' annuals came out.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

(thumbsu

20 hours ago, fifties said:

Here's my Mystic 1, which has blank inside front and back covers.  The indicia is on the back outside cover, which states that the publication is by Bell Features in Toronto, Ontario.  It does not give an issue number.

Mystic 1 Cndn.jpg

Mystic 1 Cndn BC.jpg

Beauty!Wish I could tell you more,but all I know is the book  the cover is originally from.Is it the same stories in the interior?Often it's forward an issue of what it's reprinting.Sometimes they continued another title,ie changed the name but not the issue number?Hopefully someone here knows more than I friend.