• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, eccomic said:

The artwork was donated by the founders of Nelvana Animation Studios  to the library and archives Canada In 1972

I guess the followup question has to be how did the studio founders acquire it?  I know that they bought the rights to a lot of the Canadian comic book characters but that's about all I know...

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

I guess the followup question has to be how did the studio founders acquire it?  I know that they bought the rights to a lot of the Canadian comic book characters but that's about all I know...

I think they bought it from the Bell family IIRC?    It is detailed in the book below (which the founders of the studio wrote around that time).   Its a very interesting read:

91szScu7dtL.jpg

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, eccomic said:

The elusive Nelvana One-Shot Compendium published by Bell Features 1945 from my collection.  :cloud9:

Nelvana CGC 6.50002.jpg

Nelvana CGC 6.50001.jpg

CGC label says "Canadian Edition".  Was there a US edition?  

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

I think they bought it from the Bell family IIRC?    It is detailed in the book below (which the founders of the studio wrote around that time).   Its a very interesting read:

91szScu7dtL.jpg

Haven't seen this since the 70s LOL.  A check with our local library says that they have it.  I think I'll check it out...again...LOL

Thanks for posting it.

19 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

CGC label says "Canadian Edition".  Was there a US edition?  

Not according to the GCD. CGC do this with UK comics too - they put 'UK Edition' on titles for which no US version exists. 

22 hours ago, PatrickinVancouver said:

Just posted, one of the few weca books that was not on the Grand Comic Database

Canadian Heroes V5 N4.jpg

I concur it was the last issue to complete my collection of Canadian heroes

D7DA07FD-E925-4DB2-99D3-4DD795D6B72B.jpeg

2 hours ago, PatrickinVancouver said:

Another Canadian Heroes issue Vol 5 No. 2, I got ten of these from a nice fellow who discovered them a small town south of Prince George B.C., usually kind of a boring title except for the Canada Jack stories. I am always a sucker for dinosaur covers.

Canadian Heroes V5 N2.jpg

Love it!

CdnHeroes4.jpg

Edited by eccomic