• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will cgc grade a very brittle book?

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys 

This came up in discussion the other day with my brother and although I know cgc will grade a book with brittle pages, will they grade a very brittle book if it may compromise the condition as they grade it? 

In other words can cgc choose to not grade a book because it's too brittle? 

I ask because I'm possibly buying a book where the covers have large sections or brittleness but I'd still want it graded due to how expensive and rare the book is. 

Thanks! 

15 hours ago, rcouto said:

Hey guys 

This came up in discussion the other day with my brother and although I know cgc will grade a book with brittle pages, will they grade a very brittle book if it may compromise the condition as they grade it? 

In other words can cgc choose to not grade a book because it's too brittle? 

I ask because I'm possibly buying a book where the covers have large sections or brittleness but I'd still want it graded due to how expensive and rare the book is. 

Thanks! 

I had that happen not too long ago with a copy of Detective 6 that they told me was too brittle to grade. OTOH, I have seen books encapsulated that appear to be falling apart in the slab, given the debris collecting at the bottom.  I think CGC would probably need the book in hand before giving a definite answer.